Container Ship strikes and collapses Baltimore's Francis Scott Key Bridge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As has already been said, I see no need nor reason to increase the span width or height opening. Either, particularly vertical clearance would require far more work than simply replacing the existing structure. I also doubt that there is any foundation damage to the pier that was struck. In fact, the easiest and simplest would be to replace the steelwork "in kind". As to the piers, the above water portion of the destroyed pier should be replaced with a much stouter solid structure, and while at it, replace/reinforce the pier under the other end of the main span to be similar. The type framing in the existing main span piers I would regard as having insufficient strength against impact compared to any bridge over the Lower Mississippi built from the first one that opened in 1892. The major need is a much larger solid surround of these main piers plus two or three very stout dolphins both upstream and downstream of this main span. While at it, place dolphins upstream and downstream of several of the approach span piers. The larger surround (there is probably a proper name for this, but I don't know it) of the main piers should be designed to take a strike of a ship some 50% larger than the current ships at 8 to 10 knots. A ship speed limit should be imposed.

seems on odd way to demolish the bridge to me. It means the debris is now on the river bed where it will in future be a hazard to dredgers and may one day cost many times what was saved here to lift back to the surface. A severe case of "not my department" mentality.

seems on odd way to demolish the bridge to me. It means the debris is now on the river bed where it will in future be a hazard to dredgers and may one day cost many times what was saved here to lift back to the surface. A severe case of "not my department" mentality.
I think it was designed to break up into pieces large enough for the cranes to pick them up, and they're going to clear the debris as soon as they get the ship out of the way and back to the dock.

If you examine the pictures closely you will notice that the ship is down at the bow. there appears to be a lot of concrete on the bow that will need to be removed to float the ship. That removal will be difficult. Do the salvagers just break up concrete with pieces falling into the channel or try to pick big pieces up? Have no idea.

If you examine the pictures closely you will notice that the ship is down at the bow. there appears to be a lot of concrete on the bow that will need to be removed to float the ship. That removal will be difficult. Do the salvagers just break up concrete with pieces falling into the channel or try to pick big pieces up? Have no idea.
The bow down is explained in this video:

Is it grounded on the bow but floating on the stern?

Relax none of the exploded debris will be left in the harbor/channel - - -
It was reduced to manageable pieces and parts for easy removal and perhaps salvage - - -
As for the concrete - none of that material was in the center of the navigable channel -
it was the pier support for the metal bridge framework that the ship plowed into -
The bridge framework appears to have been precisely exploded away from the bow of the ship
and into open water -
What little framework remains on the bow of the ship will be plucked away by crane -
What will be a concern is if there is damage to the bow of the ship below the water line thus
maybe causing sinking in place perhaps blocking a portion of the channel for a short period of time
The ship with no floating issues can be towed back to the container port to determine the disposition
of the container cargo and with repair be return to service

I am sure the engineers have all their thought processes tinker toys and lego blocks well in order
designing the replacement and building same as soon as possible
Don't underestimate the resolve of American labor and skills to do this promptly - - -
Look to the legacy of Pearl Harbor and New York 9/11 just a couple of examples !

Back