Crescent discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s interesting that your action “irritates/embarrasses the crew”…
While washing the outside windows is certainly not in the job requirements for anyone working on the train, I can see how they would be offended, as not everyone understands that, and it may make it seem that you were “doing their job”…
It might even be somewhere in the fine print of Amtrak regulations prohibiting passengers from that practice, due to some perceived possible liability…🤷‍♂️
Might also be they are concerned about somebody using some non-approved detergent or cleaning fluid that is not permitted and that could damage the coating of the glass or the rubber surrounds or something else.

Left Birmingham on time. Had the chicken enchiladas for lunch. OK. I looked over the other 2 V1 sleeping cars and they are getting a bit beat up. Definitely need new carpets. Windows were not horrible, but I think worse than my V2/baggage. Crew still good, no complaints. Overall I’m enjoying the trip.

Is the outer surface of the windows glass, or polycarbonate (Lexan)?
Good question…I am more familiar with buses, that have laminated windshield’s, and dual Thermopane side windows with tempured outer panes, and polycarbonate inner. The glass outer is more scratch resistant to automatic washer brushes. Not sure if FRA glazing is similar, according to this document…
https://railroads.dot.gov/sites/fra.dot.gov/files/2022-06/Equipment Glazing Systems-A.pdf

Back