Conductor guiding question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Engineer
Quick question. When conductors are guiding the engineer into a station to line up the doors with the platform (like at Essex), does the car countdown include the car that the conductor is in? For example, when the conductor calls out 2 cars (say hes in the SSL on the Chief), does that mean the last sleeper is on the platform or the diner is on the platform? Sorry for the convoluted wording.

I believe that's telling the engineer "please reverse for five car lengths" when they call "back five". You can measure it from anywhere, as long as you move back about that amount.

It means they are instructing the engineer on the absolute number of cars to go to properly spot the train. Irrespective of where the conductor is though he'll usually be in the car whose door he'll be opening. It means the car(s) they are going to open at that station are on the platform, usually mid-platform. The location of cars not being opened doesn't matter.

If both sleepers and coaches have passengers manifested for that station and the platform is short, they'll do a double spot. Typically the conductor stays on the ground when coordinating with the engineer to move the train up to the second spot. Sometimes there are more than two spots. Maricopa used to have a triple spot, one for bags, one for sleeper, one for coaches.

That'll do. Stop.

It means they are instructing the engineer on the absolute number of cars to go to properly spot the train. Irrespective of where the conductor is though he'll usually be in the car whose door he'll be opening. It means the car(s) they are going to open at that station are on the platform, usually mid-platform. The location of cars not being opened doesn't matter.

If both sleepers and coaches have passengers manifested for that station and the platform is short, they'll do a double spot. Typically the conductor stays on the ground when coordinating with the engineer to move the train up to the second spot. Sometimes there are more than two spots. Maricopa used to have a triple spot, one for bags, one for sleeper, one for coaches.

That'll do. Stop.
So if the conductor calls one car, that means the car (assuming he’s in the car whose door will open) he’s in is at the spot?

So if the conductor calls one car, that means the car (assuming he’s in the car whose door will open) he’s in is at the spot?
The number of cars that the conductor tells the engineer, is simply how much further in car lengths he wants the train to move before he wants it to stop.
That way, the engineer knows about how much distance he has, to bring the train to a smooth stop.

The number of cars that the conductor tells the engineer, is simply how much further in car lengths he wants the train to move before he wants it to stop.
That way, the engineer knows about how much distance he has, to bring the train to a smooth stop.
Ahhh okay

It means move one more car to reach the proper spot for that train on that day (which car has passengers manifested for that station? how long is the train? Are there deadhead cars that must be allowed for?).

It doesn't matter which car he is in when he calls it. The proper spot doesn't depend on where he is, but where train is. The conductor will know the train length, where the car needing spotting is and where he is in relation to it. That's part of the job.

You seem to be wanting to make this more complicated than it is. One more car means one more car length. That's all.

Last edited:
Metra (and I think the CTA does as well) has indicators - as in signs - at platform edges (obviously harder with lower platforms and differing car and engine types) indicating where to stop based on number of cars, is this found on mainline rail? Seems like I've seen it somewhere, but can't remember where.

Metra (and I think the CTA does as well) has indicators - as in signs - at platform edges (obviously harder with lower platforms and differing car and engine types) indicating where to stop based on number of cars, is this found on mainline rail? Seems like I've seen it somewhere, but can't remember where.
Not generally, at least on host railroads. Do not know about NEC. Amtrak crews often have local landmarks memorized to help them spot.

Southern Calif Metrolink has "Cab Spot" signs for many stations - 5 car, 6 car consist, etc.

I have seen a six(6) stop at Winter Park (WPK) when the eastbound CZ stopped there. It was after a long winter weekend. We were about 3 hours behind schedule due to pretty much blizzard conditions. Luckily all the different ski resorts let everybody sit on their shuttle busses until we arrived. But all their luggage and skis were out in the weather and covered with a few inches of the white stuff. Luckily Amtrak planned on the passenger load and had an extra sleeper and 2 coaches for the 320 folks that boarded. I met a very nice lady that was traveling with 8 of her 10 kids on the west bound. She was leaving her kids (yeah some were adults) at WPK for the weekend to ski while she went on to visit friends in SLC. Then come back east and meet them at WPK. During the stop I saw a couple of them boarding in different cars. I ran into her at one of the boarding doors and she asked if I had seen any of them. I said yeah a couple of cars ahead. She mentioned that they were probably heading to the lounge for the movie. She must not of been paying attention to the movie announcement since she asked me what was playing. I had to tell it was "Throw Momma From The Train". She grinned and said "great!". That was the fullest train I've ever seen and the most fun trip I've ever taken. It was pretty much one big party to Chicago. I connected to CONO to Fulton, KY (FTN) and a miserable drive home to Nashville.

When the train reverses and the Conductor is "Protecting the movement" from the back of the train, they will call in car lengths as well. "Amtrak is clear to shove 20 cars" and sometimes you'll hear things like "Amtrak clear to shove 10 cars until a possible obstruction" - "Possible Obstruction" could be a switch lined against them, a derail, etc. It's fun to learn some of the lingo and how the railroads run.

Back