A few novice questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I'm Tar-Minastir, and i've just registered on this forum, as you can probably see. And as much as I love watching Amtrak trains and wearing an Amtrak hat around during the day, I have to admit that my experience with actually riding them is nearly nonexistent. That will change soon, with any luck, but in the meantime, I come to you with a few naive questions.

Firstly, this September I will be riding the Reigonal from Boston to Quantico, VA (taking the Express on the way back out of Washington). Unfortunately, this is train 67, which doesn't leave Route 128 until 10:00PM. So, since I will be sleeping on the train-in coach-I would like to know what to expect.

This is, after all, the Reigonal, which I assume most people don't ride at night. Can I expect a pillow? Or has the service on these trains really gone down that much?

And also, I hear that Amfleet coaches offer 38 inches of legroom, but what is that actually measuring? I seem to recall them being roomy, from my first journey on the Reigonal, but now I have doubts after hearing the nickname "Cramfleet."

One last question, about service in general: How exactly does the checked baggage service work? And, perhaps more importantly, does it work? What if I board at a station that offers checked baggage service and get off at one in the middle of nowhere that doesn't?

Anyway, thank you for suffering my simple questions. And thanks in advance for your answers.

You cant check baggage to a station or froma station that dose not offer the service. ;) As long as your traveling with a reasonable sized suitcase dont worry. You can put it on the overhead rack above your seat.

I know of the long distance trains running to fl and out of chi that they give you a pillow free of charge during the night. Im not shure about the ex-federal but i would assume they do. In business class on that train I know for shure they do and they give you a blanket.

No pillows were given out on the 66 or 67(former Federal) when I took them last month. None offered to us in coach that is, I can't speak for business class riders though.

I wish I had thought to bring one of those, I could have used one on my trip.

BTW traveling for 24 consecutive hours by rail ain't fun, especially when you can't get to sleep because it is daylight out and because of connections to other trains:blink:

Unfortunately, the ex. Federal is treated just like any other Regional train. Regular 74 seat Amfleet I corridor coaches are used, pillows are not given out, and lights stay on all night (usually the ceiling lights are turned off, but the floursecent lights directly above the window are left on. When I was on it a few weeks ago it was not full at all and almost everyone was able to spread out over two seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back