AGR for LCH/LAX/DEN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
How many points would we need for a roomette from LCH to DEN? We would like to stop in SAS and in Maricopa for one night each. Sorry I have to ask for help, but I just can't seem to figure the AGR rate. Thank you for any help.

How many points would we need for a roomette from LCH to DEN? We would like to stop in SAS and in Maricopa for one night each. Sorry I have to ask for help, but I just can't seem to figure the AGR rate. Thank you for any help.
Two problems:

1) Amtrak.com can't find a route from Lake Charles to Denver via San Antonio and Maricopa, and it's hard to get many agents to book anything that amtrak.com doesn't suggest. I imagine the problem is that you can't make a same day transfer from the Coast Starlight to the California Zephyr, and an itinerary involving transferring from the westbound Sunset Limited to the eastbound Southwest Chief, then to a bus from Raton is too weird.

2) You can't stop over on an AGR redemption, so your trip would have to be three AGR awards: LCH-SAS, SAS-Maricopa, Phoenix-Flagstaff-Raton-Denver. I personally wouldn't consider that a good use of AGR points.

If you can live without the Maricopa stop, I would recommend paying fare to SAS where you can stop at you leisure, remembering the Sunset runs every other day. Now if you can get an Agent to "allow" the Starlight to Zephyr connection at SAC (arrive midnight-depart 11 am next day), SAS to DEN would be a 2 Zone Award as DEN is a border city. There is a motor court type motel across from the SAC station, but I have no idea how good or bad it is.

I have learned you have to be creative and able to think outside the box when working with AGR travel, especially when you are trying to maximize travel time and minimize Points expenditure. And having a great Agent on the phone with you really helps.

Thank you for your help. So you can use AGR when riding the Thruway bus?
Yes. Buses count.

AGR awards though, do not allow stopovers. So I would pay to go from LCH to SAS, and again pay from SAS to MRC. From there to Denver, is also tricky using points, because you can't get from Southern California to Northern California in time to catch the California Zephyr back eastbound, without an overnight stay somewhere.

If you want to still stop in MRC, maybe take the thruway bus from Phoenix to Flagstaff, to catch the Southwest Chief to Raton, NM. From Raton, there is another thruway bus to Denver. But your bus ride from Phoenix would be in the middle of the night. To me, thats still not a good use to AGR points.

Back