AGR for LCH to MIA trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
How many AGR points will we need for a trip from LCH/NOL/CHI/WAS/MIA, spend 3 nts. in Miami, then MIA/WAS/NOL/LCH/. I would like to take the City of NOL, Capitol Limited, Atlantic Coast and the Crescent. Is this doable? We would like a roomette on overnight routes. We could pay coach on the daytime routes, if it's more economical than using our points. Thank you for any help.

How many AGR points will we need for a trip from LCH/NOL/CHI/WAS/MIA, spend 3 nts. in Miami, then MIA/WAS/NOL/LCH/. I would like to take the City of NOL, Capitol Limited, Atlantic Coast and the Crescent. Is this doable? We would like a roomette on overnight routes. We could pay coach on the daytime routes, if it's more economical than using our points. Thank you for any help.
Edited: Please see revised Post after OPs reply! :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, thank you for your reply. You and others helped me plan our Western AGR trip in March (9000 miles). It was wonderful, so now we want to go East. We've never ridden any of the trains east from Lake Charles. We want to spend some time in Miami and ride as many different routes while going to and from Miami. You can probably recommend a better route than what I thought and for less points. Thank you for your help.

Jim, thank you for your reply. You and others helped me plan our Western AGR trip in March (9000 miles). It was wonderful, so now we want to go East. We've never ridden any of the trains east from Lake Charles. We want to spend some time in Miami and ride as many different routes while going to and from Miami. You can probably recommend a better route than what I thought and for less points. Thank you for your help.
:hi: Margo: Ive revised my original answer due to misunderstanding your original itenerary, sorry! :blush:

Since you are starting in Lake Charles, IF?* AGR will allow it, ride the Sunset Ltd.(#2) to NOL, spend a Night. Then the CONO(#58) to CHI, The Cap Ltd.(#30) to WAS, the Silver Meteor(#97) to MIA! This would be a 2 Zone Award for a Roomette which would be 20,000 Points minus 5% if you have the AGR MC! If they dont allow it the Overnight, you could ride Coach (Paid) from LCH to NOL, then take the above Routing! *AGR may try to route you VIa the Crescent(#20) thru ATL to WAS, then the SM(#97)to MIA. If so, in order to get in the Cap Ltd and Chicago, you could ride the Silver Meteor back to WAS, then the Cap Ltd. (#29) to CHI, then the CONO (#59) to NOL.Again a night in NOL. then the Sunset (#1) to LCH. This would also be a 2 Zone Award, 20,000 Points minus 5% if AGR MC.

That would be a Total of 40,000 AGR Points minus 5% if you have AGR MC for two, 2 Zone Awards in a Roomette!

AGR has really been tightening up lately, they may try to Route you to and From WAS via the Crescent(#19/#20) both ways, call and find out and let us know what they say! The Good Old "Loophole"

Days are gone! Also the nights in NOL would be on your nickel as you probably know!

My alternate is to ride the Sunset(#1) to Houston( from LCH,,AmBus to Longview, Texas Eagle #22/#422 to CHI, then the previous Routing from above! Its a nice trip, as you know lots of good info and help on this site, some is even True! :lol:

:hi: Margo: Ive revised my original answer due to misunderstanding your original itenerary, sorry! :blush:

Since you are starting in Lake Charles, IF?* AGR will allow it, ride the Sunset Ltd.(#2) to NOL, spend a Night. Then the CONO(#58) to CHI, The Cap Ltd.(#30) to WAS, the Silver Meteor(#97) to MIA! This would be a 2 Zone Award for a Roomette which would be 20,000 Points minus 5% if you have the AGR MC! If they dont allow it the Overnight, you could ride Coach (Paid) from LCH to NOL, then take the above Routing! *AGR may try to route you VIa the Crescent(#20) thru ATL to WAS, then the SM(#97)to MIA. If so, in order to get in the Cap Ltd and Chicago, you could ride the Silver Meteor back to WAS, then the Cap Ltd. (#29) to CHI, then the CONO (#59) to NOL.Again a night in NOL. then the Sunset (#1) to LCH. This would also be a 2 Zone Award, 20,000 Points minus 5% if AGR MC.

That would be a Total of 40,000 AGR Points minus 5% if you have AGR MC for two, 2 Zone Awards in a Roomette!

Thanks Jim Your suggested itinerary sounds like we want. Thanks also for the 5% with AGR MC (which I have) tip. If AGR won'r allow my plan, do I have any options to get it, maybe, call back and hope for a different agent? We rode the TE in March, so I would like to ride the CONO this trip. Thanks again for the info.

AGR has really been tightening up lately, they may try to Route you to and From WAS via the Crescent(#19/#20) both ways, call and find out and let us know what they say! The Good Old "Loophole"

Days are gone! Also the nights in NOL would be on your nickel as you probably know!

My alternate is to ride the Sunset(#1) to Houston( from LCH,,AmBus to Longview, Texas Eagle #22/#422 to CHI, then the previous Routing from above! Its a nice trip, as you know lots of good info and help on this site, some is even True! :lol:

Margo: Even though the old Loophole Days are Long Gone, there is a way to ride the CONO if AGR wants to Route you via the Crescent to/from MIA! I call it the "Hammond Sort-of-Loophole!" You can start or end your trip in Hammond, La. on the CONO, ie Pay for a Coach ticket LCH-NOL on one of the Sunset #2 days ( AGR Points), Paid Coach NOL-Hammond on the CONO(AGR Points), then Start a 2 Zone Award in Hammond on the CONO to CHI/CL#30 to WAS/SM#97 to MIA. If you wanted to Return that way, Book a 2 Zone Award from MIA-WAS-CHI-Hammond!!! (20,000 Points for Roomette-5% AGR MC Rebate)

You'd then pay for a Coach Ticket from Hammond to NOL (More Points!!!), spend the night and Pay for Coach NOL-LCH on the Sunset Ltd. #1(again AGR Points) on one of the days the Sunset Runs!

Usually the SCA and Conductor will let you occupy your Room from NOL-Hammond since no-one will be occupying it for such a short trip, but be sure and ask! ^_^ Hope that helps! Jim

Back