Amfleet II smoker

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
I just got back from a quick round trip on the Crescent, between Washington, DC and Atlanta, GA. On the trip down on 19, we had the usual Amfleet II lounge, in between the diner and the coaches. Signs stated that smoking was allowed during certain posted hours in this lounge car, on one side of the serving area. I did smell smoke during a period when smoking should not have been allowed. It could have been somebody lighting up when they should not have, or it could have been residual smoke from the last legal smoking period.

On my return trip on 20, this train had a different type of lounge car. Car 28006 had a section completely enclosed by glass (with a bypass on one side of the car similar to where the kitchen is in the diners) for a smoking lounge. This is available 24 hours a day, so the hours no longer have to be posted. I must say that while I was in this lounge car, I could not detect any foul odors coming from the smoking area. The negative is that 24 hours a day, half of the lounge's seating capacity has been lost for those who don't have this addiction.

Nevertheless, it is a good idea, and surely it addresses the problems that occurred with crews not enforcing the hours and exact location of the smoking areas within this car.

I've never been in a refurbed Amfleet II lounge, but I definetly would not want to be stuck with 8 booths for 24 hours as my place to "wind down". The only time I have been in an Amfleet II Lounge was on the Sivler Meteor last April and it was of the old type. I did not mind it at all. The attendant was very strict about smoking times, in the day she left the vestibule windows open, and after each smoking session she would spray deoderizer. I also can live with second hand smoke for up to an hour, but it does leave you with a dry thoat. Well anyway, I'm just thankful that Amtrak is able to run lounges.

I like the refurbs, as there is no second hand smoke. While I agree its unfortunate to have to sacrifice those seats, I would use the Booths any way as the other half is still smokey. Also with there being few lounge attendants who do what yours did, the originals can be annoying and uncomfortable to be in.

Amtrak needs to get rid of these smoking cars altogether. Even on the Superliners, where the smoking car is an enclosed downstairs room on one of the coaches, I can ALWAYS smell the smoke upstairs. If I am passing through the cars, I can always tell when I'm above the smoking car. It is disgusting and the stench makes me want to gag. I am shocked to hear that Amtrak lets people smoke in lounges certain hours, "sprays" them with deodorizers, and then opens them up for everyone to use. This sounds horrid and I it makes me fume to try to even imagine what that entire half of the train must smell like. Please visit http://www.smokefreeair.org/Alert/Alertdet.cfm?ID=447 to type in a short note to Amtrak urging them to make the trains and station platforms smoke free. This smoke-free site makes it easy: you type your letter or note in an on screen box and the site will automatically send it for you. Thanks for your support against tobacco on our trains.

On the Silver Service over the last two years, I have seen a very small number of the older smoking-during-certain-times cars. Most seem to use the enclosed smoking sections, which find much more desirable. :ph34r:

jccollins,

Not that I disagree with you on this as I don't, but I would think it near impossible to make the platforms smoke free, especially those that are at open air stations. From your posts I take it you spend a good deal of time at Martinez Station which always has the smoke cloud above it due to the length most of the trains that stop there spend there. Capitol crews always mention it as a place to get off and have a quick smoke. Also the issue of enforcement of the rule would make this problematic.

NYP and other "indoor" stations do not have this problem as smoking is banned in all portions of the station.

If given the choice I'd rather have no smoking cars and allow smoking on the platforms at open air stations.

Not only do you smell the smoke, but your skin and clothes absorb the stench and you smell like a smoker. that STINKS.

tp49,

I agree with you - it would be hard to enforce this at open air stations. However, I wish we could somehow reach a compromise such as no smoking within 15 feet of the station doors or train doors when the train is stopped. The problem is that everyone gets off the trains to smoke and they always try to stand right next to the train doors and then the smoke goes right back into the train. This is a problem when people smoke near the station doors too. It is a constant battle to get people to STEP AWAY from the open train/station doors. It also creates problems for people trying to board when they have to walk through huge clouds of smoke. I guess that's just life - but it's very irritating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back