Amtrak Announces 10th NYP-BOS Round Trip on Acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
Amtrak has announced a 10th Round Trip on Acela Express Between Boston and New York.

Here's the Schedule

New Southbound Train:

Boston (South Station), Ma: Lv..........11:15 a.m.

New York (Penn Station) Ar.................2:42 p.m.

Washington D.C. (Union Station) Ar.....5:47 p.m.

New Northbound Train:

New York (Penn Station): Lv............12:03 p.m.

Boston (South Station): Ar..............3:33 p.m.

Amtrak's Press Release Can be found Here

Many people saw this coming as Amtrak gets ready to accept/has accpeted the 20th and final trainset. As Acela grows Metroliner will continue to decline, but that's the nature of the beast.

battalion51 said:
As Acela grows Metroliner will continue to decline, but that's the nature of the beast.
At least, until the end of their useful life, the Metroliner cars will be used to improve the service on other Amtrak short haul runs.

AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
As Acela grows Metroliner will continue to decline, but that's the nature of the beast.
At least, until the end of their useful life, the Metroliner cars will be used to improve the service on other Amtrak short haul runs.
I'll miss the Metroliners, too bad I only rode them once. They had such a lasting legacy on the NEC, and High Speed Rail for the U.S.

Viewliner said:
I'll miss the Metroliners, too bad I only rode them once.  They had such a lasting legacy on the NEC, and High Speed Rail for the U.S.
It's still not too late. Maybe you could talk dad into a Metroliner ride down to DC, with a return on the cheap Acela Express. :rolleyes:

Ps. The Metroliners were nice, but I'd still prefer an Acela Express over a Metroliner. Of course I'd rather ride in a Metroliner over a Amfleet I or a Horizon car.

AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
I rode Train #133 today from New York to Trenton, NJ, an Acela Regional train. The consist looked like they threw together whatever they could find laying around in the yard. My coach (the quiet car in front) was an ex-Metroliner coach, complete with the red LED message board telling me I could upgrade to Metroliner Club if I wanted to. Metroliner Club is not available on this or any train, since it's now called First Class. The second coach was also ex-Metroliner, but it said on the outside, "Amtrak's Custom Class". Again, Custom Class became Business Class a few years ago, and besides, there was a real Business Class car in the rear of this train. At least we had nice upgraded amenities for coach price! We had foot rests and curtains, two things you don't expect riding in Coach class.

Superliner Diner said:
AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
I rode Train #133 today from New York to Trenton, NJ, an Acela Regional train. The consist looked like they threw together whatever they could find laying around in the yard. My coach (the quiet car in front) was an ex-Metroliner coach, complete with the red LED message board telling me I could upgrade to Metroliner Club if I wanted to. Metroliner Club is not available on this or any train, since it's now called First Class. The second coach was also ex-Metroliner, but it said on the outside, "Amtrak's Custom Class". Again, Custom Class became Business Class a few years ago, and besides, there was a real Business Class car in the rear of this train. At least we had nice upgraded amenities for coach price! We had foot rests and curtains, two things you don't expect riding in Coach class.
I got a photo of a Custom Class Car on friday, I'll bet theres a good chance it was the same one, will post photo soon. Do you know the number? I know 44926 was the one I found.

Viewliner said:
I got a photo of a Custom Class Car on friday, I'll bet theres a good chance it was the same one, will post photo soon. Do you know the number? I know 44926 was the one I found.
No, I did not get the number, but I recall was in the 449xx series, which is how I know it was once part of the Metroliner fleet.

battalion51 said:
Many people saw this coming as Amtrak gets ready to accept/has accpeted the 20th and final trainset. As Acela grows Metroliner will continue to decline, but that's the nature of the beast.
Even with this change, the Acela Express fleet is still not fully deployed. Because of the yaw damper problem discovered last summer, more trainsets are being kept in reserve as backups just in case there is a problem. There are still plenty of Metroliners running, some still in timeslots formerly held by Acela Express trains.

Silly question but inguiring minds want to know. What are the seats in an Acela Express like in business and first class in comparison to an ex-metroliner car as I have ridden in those :)

tp49 said:
Silly question but inguiring minds want to know. What are the seats in an Acela Express like in business and first class in comparison to an ex-metroliner car as I have ridden in those :)
Tp49,

If I recall correctly, you're from California. The seats installed on Acela Express, I am told, are the same as those found on the Surfliners and other new California cars that are used on the San Joaquins. They have a comfortable seat, with a confusing headrest that slides up and down around the seat. The tray table folds into the bottom of the seat in front of you.

The Metroliner cars, which are really Amfleet I's but with added amenities, have the Amfleet I standard seating, but also include more legroom, footrests, and curtains.

Diner,

Your recall is right on the money, as is your take on the headrests on those seats, and those seats being on the newer California Cars. Thanks for the info. :)

Well the Acela Express seats still have footrests too, like the old Metroliner cars. Personally I like the AE trays better, when they work properly. Unfortunately the springs that hold the trays up seem to break frequently.

The one thing that I do miss in First Class on the AE's from the Metroliner's, is the Metroliner seats not only had a foot rest, they also had a calf rest. It pulled up and out much like a recliner would do.

Beyond that I do like the tables in the Acela cars, something the Metroliner's didn't have. The windows, luggage, and lighting are also far superior to the Metroliner’s.

Beyond that I do like the tables in the Acela cars, something the Metroliner's didn't have. The windows, luggage, and lighting are also far superior to the Metroliner’s.
Of course a down side to the Acela Express tables is that it forces you to coexist with other people, and it forces at least two of the four people at the table to ride backwards. It's ideal for a conference between 4 businesspeople, but a little too close for strangers to be knocking knees together. It can be awkward too if 2 or 3 of the people know each other or are having a business conference, and that other person has to be the odd man out.

Superliner Diner said:
Of course a down side to the Acela Express tables is that it forces you to coexist with other people, and it forces at least two of the four people at the table to ride backwards. It's ideal for a conference between 4 businesspeople, but a little too close for strangers to be knocking knees together. It can be awkward too if 2 or 3 of the people know each other or are having a business conference, and that other person has to be the odd man out.
Quite true. :)

I ran out of disk space, I can't post the picture, however, If you'd like (Superliner Diner and others) I can send the photo now, just let me know.

Viewliner said:
Amtrak has announced a 10th Round Trip on Acela Express Between Boston and New York.
Here's the Schedule

New Southbound Train:

Boston (South Station), Ma: Lv..........11:15 a.m.

New York (Penn Station) Ar.................2:42 p.m.

Washington D.C. (Union Station) Ar.....5:47 p.m.

New Northbound Train:

New York (Penn Station):  Lv............12:03 p.m.

Boston (South Station):     Ar..............3:33 p.m.

Amtrak's Press Release Can be found Here
While I was in New York briefly today, I picked up the new Acela Express/Metroliner card timetable, which incidentally the Amtrak people told me was the only new document available with this schedule change. I think you'll see more paper timetables come February 10th, when the Pennsylvanian, Three Rivers, and Keystone Service trains undergo their relative transformations.

Now that I've got the card timetable in front of me, here are the changes that took place effective today:

(As a reminder of my personal format, train numbers in black are removed or continuing numbers, and those in red are new numbers.)

Weekends: NO CHANGES

Weekdays northbound

* Former Acela Express 2104, the 8 AM Washington departure to New York, has reverted back to a Metroliner, 104, departing Washington at the same time but taking 11 minutes longer to get to New York.

* The equipment that was 2104 becomes new Train 2158, departing Washington at 9 AM. It replaces former Metroliner 106, whose equipment obviously shifted to the above 104. This train is extended to Boston, arriving there 3:33 PM.

* Former Acela Express 2116, the 7 PM Washington departure to New York, has reverted to Metroliner equipment, and is called Train 126.

* The equipment formerly used by 2116 above is a new late night Washington departure at 8:30 PM, arriving in New York at 11:22 PM; this is new Train 2118.

Weekdays southbound

* Former Acela Express train 2113, the 2 PM departure from New York to Washington, has reverted to Metroliner equipment, and is now called Train 117.

* The Acela Express equipment now originates in Boston as Train 2163, at 11:15 AM. It continues to Washington, leaving New York at 3 PM. The 3 PM timeslot out of New York used to be Metroliner 119, whose equipment shifted an hour earlier to become the new 117 above. 2163 is the balance of equipment, a southbound run to counter the new northbound 2158 mentioned above.

Note, however, that there are now 7 northbound weekday Metroliners in the timetable, and only 6 southbound weekday Metroliners. That means that one conventional southbound Acela Regional train is running with Metroliner equipment to position it back to Washington. (I think I accidentally found out which one today!! :D )

Custom class interestingly enough still shows up on manifests that are printed out from ARROW, which by translation is Business Class. I know this because a Palmetto shows PAX's on/off under the Custom Class heading.

battalion51 said:
Custom class interestingly enough still shows up on manifests that are printed out from ARROW, which by translation is Business Class. I know this because a Palmetto shows PAX's on/off under the Custom Class heading.
Amtrak probably didn't feel it was worth the time or money to upgrade ARROW to the new name, since most of the people who would be looking at those manifests work for Amtrak. It's probably cheaper to tell employees that Custom Class = Business Class.

Here They are, #44926

abr44926.jpg

abr44926a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back