ATL to CHI-Cardinal or Lakeshore Limited?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
Can I travel from ATL to CHI on the Cardinal or Lakeshore LTD., instead of the Cap. LTD. using AGR? We rode the CL last year and it was not a good experience and I've never ridden the Cardinal or all of the LL. Thank you for your help.

I tried a routing using Crescent and Cardinal and it does allow it . Remember you must match up the day of arrival and departure in WAS with the Cardinal's three day a week schedule.

A routing to Chicago via Lake Shore did not show up on the Amtrak site. But it would allow a trip from ATL to Erie, Pa and did link up with the Lake Shore, so the connection is possible. We rode the Crescent/LSL from ATL to CLE one year but had to route via Erie and then buy a coach ticket into Cleveland. I suppose you could do that, but AGR would only give you a route as far as Erie on the LSL, then you would have to pay or use more points to go the remainder of the trip to Chicago.

Since it would be a one zone from ATL to Erie,Pa. same points as to Cincy on the Cardinal or TOL on the Cap.

It would be a two zone to Chicago from ATL so I suppose you could decide how you wanted to divide your points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I travel from ATL to CHI on the Cardinal or Lakeshore LTD., instead of the Cap. LTD. using AGR? We rode the CL last year and it was not a good experience and I've never ridden the Cardinal or all of the LL. Thank you for your help.
You can travel on the Cardinal. You'll transfer in Charlottesville, VA (arrive in CVS on the Crescent at 7:09am, depart on the Cardinal at 1:55pm.) You cannot take the LSL, as the connection is not guaranteed (arrive 1:46PM, depart 3:45PM) or bookable direct in ARROW (Amtrak's booking system.)

I tried a routing using Crescent and Cardinal and it does allow it . Remember you must match up the day of arrival and departure in WAS with the Cardinal's three day a week schedule.

A routing to Chicago via Lake Shore did not show up on the Amtrak site. But it would allow a trip from ATL to Erie, Pa and did link up with the Lake Shore, so the connection is possible. We rode the Crescent from ATL to CLE one year but had to route via Erie and then buy a coach ticket into Cleveland. I suppose you could do that, but AGR would only give you a route as far as Erie on the LSL, then you would have to pay or use more points to go the remainder of the trip to Chicago.

Since it would be a one zone from ATL to Erie,Pa. same points as to Cincy on the Cardinal or TOL on the Cap.

It would be a two zone to Chicago from ATL so I suppose you could decide how you wanted to divide your points.
If the routing is allowed for some, it could be that it's just been overlooked by Amtrak's system. This is one time where it may be worth suggesting the route to AGR Insider on FlyerTalk, as they have contacts to the reservation department to see if it can be added as a direct routing.

I have taken the Silver Meteor from Florida to NYP and connected with the Lake Shore several times on paid reservations

and AGR. #98 arrives NYP at 11:30am, connecting to the LSL at 3:40pm. If #20 arrives at 1:40pm, that should be adequate

time for #49.

I've gone from Huntington WV (Cardinal) to Atlanta and back many times. There is a rather lengthy layover in Charlottesville, but it is a great little town to hang out in. I leave my bags with the desk clerk and hop the trolley to the University or other locations. The #50 Cardinal eastbound has narrators provided from Charleston, WV to White Sulphur Springs. If you travel east on the Cardinal let me know what day you're traveling and I'll make sure there is a narrator on board (even if it's me!). Yes, I'm a qualified narrator on the #50. :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds great. Is there public transportation to Monticello? We love having the narrators on board. We had two on board the CS from Klamath Falls, OR on the trip that we just returned from. They were very entertaining. This trip probably won't be until next March, but the planning is part of the fun, isn't it.

I know this thread is a few months old, but I can answer that question. I recently booked an AGR award from ATN (which is south of ATL) to CHI, and for some reason the routing that goes through New Orleans was not one of the published routes, so AGR probably won't allow it. I didn't ask about it, though.

That really makes no sense to me, but until they publish it, I doubt it's possible using AGR.

The published routes were the Capitol Limited via WAS, and the Cardinal via CVS (on the days that the Cardinal runs). I chose the CL going to CHI, and the Card coming back.

That sounds great. Is there public transportation to Monticello?
It is possible - I have done it. But you will not have time....it's pretty much all day. If you care to consult googlemap :) .......

You take bus 1 from downtown to PVCC, basically the end of the line. Cross the highway to another parking lot for the trailhead. A beautiful paved gently uphill trail for about 45-60 minutes and you are there. Reverse to return after your tour which could be several hours.

Back