Baggage Car With a View

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
I found the photo of the Baggage car with that oddly placed window. This shot was taken at South Hampton yard in Boston in December 2002. I saw this a little over a year ago in New Haven. B-51, is this the one you were in/saw?

amtk-b1126ajc.jpg

To be honest, to me it looks like this is an altered picture. First of all, what's with the wacky color or reflection in the window? Secondly, it doesn't seem to be in quite the correct perspective. The bottom of the alleged window does not appear to be parallel with the other horizontal lines on the side of the car. I suppose it could have been cut out and not installed exactly horizontal. ;)

seajay

I, like Seajay, doubt that it is a window at all. Either an altered picture, as he suggests, or perhaps "something" applied to the outside of the car, like a banner, an ad, etc.

This is not an altered photo and came from this highly reliable rail photo wesbite. Windows do refelect more or less and in funny looking ways depending on the angle of the shot. As for the placement of the window, it looks level to me. I have seen this car in person while sitting on #95 in New Haven a little over a year ago. The car was on train #190 to Boston.

I agree with Amfleet, that is a top notch Amtrak photo archive right there and I really dont see why anyone would do that in the first place, play around with a photo of a baggage car to fool someone. Its pointless to me

I stand corrected. While I still think that particular picture looks a little peculiar (maybe it's time for new glasses :lol: ), I have found another picture of this car at

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakpix/locoshot...gage/1126A.html

To get back to the original question, however, I don't have a clue what the window would be for. Might it be for somebody on the outside to get a better look at what's on the inside instead of visa versa? It doesn't appear to have been another car in the past and then converted to a baggage car. That window seems larger and set higher than a standard window in a car of that vintage. Very strange.

seajay

P40Power said:
I agree with Amfleet, that is a top notch Amtrak photo archive right there and I really dont see why anyone would do that in the first place, play around with a photo of a baggage car to fool someone.  Its pointless to me
A lot of people with a lot of free time do a lot of crazy things on the internet.

:D

seajay

Yeah like those goofs that sit online all the time talkin in chat rooms trying to hook up with an internet girlfriend, ohh dont get me started with those guys. Now see we are normal, we just are online alot disscussing Amtrak from all different points of view!

P40Power said:
Yeah like those goofs that sit online all the time talkin in chat rooms trying to hook up with an internet girlfriend, ohh dont get me started with those guys.  Now see we are normal, we just are online alot disscussing Amtrak from all different points of view!
Personally, I don't know any of those guys... :rolleyes:

Don't forget, there are plenty of people who would think this forum is as weird or weirder than any others. Too bad they just don't understand! :)

Meanwhile, back on point...

So, what's the prize for the person who can find out what the heck that window in that baggage car is for?!?!

seajay

Seajay, the link you provided says that the car was built for the Southern Railway as a baggage/mail car, which could explain it as RPO's did have windows.

no not an altered photo. the 1126 has showed up on my manifest more than once, and every time i see it i stop and stare at that odd window.

;)

:rolleyes: ryan

Well apparently I'm going nuts or my memory is going bad. I seem to recall the baggage car I was in that had the window, the window being on the side closer to the door. I could have been looking at the forward set of doors and looking back at it, which is probably the more likely case. 1126 is probably as oddball you are ever going to get with baggage cars though.

But at who's expense. I can tell you it's leftover from its days with Southern as a mail car.

I feel chagrined.......as one who grew up with the Southern Railroad I should have done better at this than I did. As to what the window was for, well, as Viewliner so aptly said, the RPO's(railroad post office cars) did have windows. That is because they had real people inside actually sorting letters,looking for the next town to throw the mail off, etc. so they needed windows......unlike storage mail and baggage , which don't need to "see" anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back