Bedroom with 3 adults = 3 meals?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have booked a bedroom for three adults ( yes I know it will tight ). My understanding is we will all get meals. But the guest reward agent reminded me that we only get 2 meals. I didn't ask her, she volunteered this info. which implied it may be some new policy perhaps?

From the Amtrak website:

" As Sleeper Service passengers, you and your sleeping car companions (up to the maximum passenger capacity for your accommodation) are entitled to receive all regular meals as part of your accommodations. "

I have booked a bedroom for three adults ( yes I know it will tight ). My understanding is we will all get meals. But the guest reward agent reminded me that we only get 2 meals. I didn't ask her, she volunteered this info. which implied it may be some new policy perhaps?
From the Amtrak website:

" As Sleeper Service passengers, you and your sleeping car companions (up to the maximum passenger capacity for your accommodation) are entitled to receive all regular meals as part of your accommodations. "
The Amtrak website says:

• Meals included
  • Designed for two passengers
  • Large picture window
  • Upper and lower berths
  • Armchair and sofa (converts to lower berth)
  • Private sink, vanity, private toilet and shower
  • Electrical outlets
  • Climate control
  • Individual reading lights
  • Garment rack
  • Fold-down table
  • Fresh towels and bed linens
  • Soap and shower amenities
  • Personal service (turn-down, coffee, paper, make-up bed)
  • Bottled water
  • Daily newspaper
Since it is designed for two, they will probably only let you have two meals. I'm amazed they let you book it with three adults. Sometimes they will allow two adults and a child.

The suggested capacity is 2, but the max. capacity is 3. They had no problem booking it for three adults, but they want you to call so they can warn you about the size. Is there any verbage on the website that says the max. capacity is 3? I want to print that out before my trip in case I get denied any of my free meals :eek:

The suggested capacity is 2, but the max. capacity is 3. They had no problem booking it for three adults, but they want you to call so they can warn you about the size. Is there any verbage on the website that says the max. capacity is 3? I want to print that out before my trip in case I get denied any of my free meals :eek:
I didn't see anything but 2 as the max in the bedroom.

We've had these discussion on the forum before and if I remember correctly, two adults and a child only got them two adult meals, no free one for the child.

I didn't see anything but 2 as the max in the bedroom.

We've had these discussion on the forum before and if I remember correctly, two adults and a child only got them two adult meals, no free one for the child.
This came up on our just completed 16state/9 segment adventure of the West.A couple had a child in their roomette and when the

SA came by for dinner time reservations that told her three, she informed them that only 2 pax were allowed to eat as fiirst class

pax,the child wasnt included!I read the web sight the same way,dont know who told them about three max but its not correct

whether in a roomette or a "deluxe" bedroom! :(dont have any idea about the family bedroom,Im sure OPs can

answer this????

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any verbage on the website that says the max. capacity is 3? I want to print that out before my trip in case I get denied any of my free meals :eek:
There is no verbiage anywhere that says "3". The website and the printed literature all say "2".

I am pretty sure that you will be denied the third meal. Either immediately, or when the LSA checks/audits the signed checks and determines you stole a meal w/o paying for it. That's when the conductor comes a knocking.

The website specifically says, " As Sleeper Service passengers, you and your sleeping car companions (up to the maximum passenger capacity for your accommodation) are entitled to receive all regular meals as part of your accommodations. "

Since they allow you to book 3 in a bedroom, then 3 is the max. capacity. Therefore all three will get meals. I will be quite upset if they deny me any meals.

The website specifically says, " As Sleeper Service passengers, you and your sleeping car companions (up to the maximum passenger capacity for your accommodation) are entitled to receive all regular meals as part of your accommodations. "
Since they allow you to book 3 in a bedroom, then 3 is the max. capacity. Therefore all three will get meals. I will be quite upset if they deny me any meals.
The max capacity isn't three - its two. Putting three in the room is exceeding max! So, good luck with that third meal.

Probably the best thing to do is call Amtrak, get customer service and ask the question. If they say to all three, get them to put it in writing for you.

Please re-read the information that AMTRAK has provided showing the max capacity "for 2 adults" as OP showed in previous post!

A train is not a good place to violate rules and procedures while enroute,the conductor and OBS HAVE TO follow policy,so call

or contact Amtrak in advance(calling is better,ask for a confirmation IN WRITING if they tell you its OK for 3 to eat on a sleeper

upgrad!)Trust us, we wont Lie!! ;) (getting put off a train is not fun as some have found out!)**Sorry Tom,I stepped

on your post!)

Last edited by a moderator:
The website says:

* Designed for two passengers

Max. capacity is what the agent/system will let you book which is 3. It has been that way for ages as many people have successfully booked 3 in a bedroom. I don't see why I have to have anything in writing from CS. The website says meals are allowed for max. capacity and max. capacity is what I have booked. Seems clear as water to me?!

Please re-read the information that AMTRAK has provided showing the max capacity "for 2 adults" as OP showed in previous post!

A train is not a good place to violate rules and procedures while enroute,the conductor and OBS HAVE TO follow policy,so call

or contact Amtrak in advance(calling is better,ask for a confirmation IN WRITING if they tell you its OK for 3 to eat on a sleeper

upgrade!)Trust us, we wont Lie!! ;) (getting put off a train is not fun as some have found out!)**Sorry Tom,I stepped

on your post!)
Not a problem, Jim - to the Guest poster, no one on this forum has any control over how many meals. You really need to take it up with Amtrak and get the truth from them. No matter what we think here, it is Amtrak that makes the decision.

The website says:

Max. capacity is what the agent/system will let you book which is 3. It has been that way for ages as many people have successfully booked 3 in a bedroom. I don't see why I have to have anything in writing from CS. The website says meals are allowed for max. capacity and max. capacity is what I have booked. Seems clear as water to me?!
No offense sir, please call CS and get it IN WRITING,thats all I have!Thanks! :rolleyes:

Tom is absolutely coorect. The only two rooms that I am aware of that receive more than two meals are the "H" room in the Viewliners and the Family Room on the Superliners. This is Amtrak policy; you might get an LSA to bend the rules for you but then they have to account for that meal.

No offense sir, please call CS and get it IN WRITING,thats all I have!Thanks! :rolleyes:
Ok, I have sent them an email explaining my logic. If I don't like the answer I will call them. The policy according to the website is that we should all get meals. If max. capacity is 2, then amtrak should not let 3 people book bedrooms.

The website says:

It seems you have doubts yourself since you even asked the question.

If Amtrak is letting you book more than the normal amount, you should probably just realize that you've already gotten away with circumventing the rules and be happy with only paying for meals instead of the rail fare.

If you want a different answer than has been supplied to you here, you should contact Amtrak since it is up to them.

If Amtrak is letting you book more than the normal amount, you should probably just realize that you've already gotten away with circumventing the rules and be happy with only paying for meals instead of the rail fare.
I am not "circumenting the rules". Booking 3 in a bedroom has ALWAYS been allowed and the system/agent permits it. People do it all the time. They just require you to call so they can warn you about the size of the room. I can't believe people on this forum think I have pulled something off. Do you really think I am the first person to book three in a bedroom??

I am not "circumenting the rules". Booking 3 in a bedroom has ALWAYS been allowed and the system/agent permits it. People do it all the time. They just require you to call so they can warn you about the size of the room. I can't believe people on this forum think I have pulled something off. Do you really think I am the first person to book three in a bedroom??
Sir,Im violating my previous post but you HAVE done the correct thing in contacting Amtrak,please know that we wish you well and

a great trip,if it turns out that they change the policy (IN WRITING)please let us know, itll benefit all of us! :)

Last year I rode on the California Zephyr and Southwest Cheif in a bedroom with my dad and my younger brother. All three of us got free meals in the dining car on both trips!

Obviously, we thiink that what the Amtrak agent told you is correct - but many of us are very interested in knowing the result of your call to Amtrak when you explain your thinking to them.

Please be sure to tell us what happens.

Last year I rode on the California Zephyr and Southwest Cheif in a bedroom with my dad and my younger brother. All three of us got free meals in the dining car on both trips!
Guest, let's presume that it turns that out you have to pay for the 3rd meal, have it be your child's meal and order from the child's menu to minimuize the cost. Also, if you're an AGR member (join if your not) and have an AGR Chase CC, use it to pay and you'll get 1 point for each dollar spent through the CC usage and/or two points for making an onboard Amtrak purchase! Might as well make the best of it!

But most importantly, don't get upset onboard and make an issue of it. You'll be in a no win situation or worse. Just enjoy your trip and if you feel you were wronged, wait until your trip is over and then take the issue up with customer relations!

The maximum capacity of the Bedroom is 3 people. From Amtrak's website:

Our Superliner Bedroom is ideal for two passengers (but can accommodate three).
Therefore the OP is entitled to three meals in the dining car.

The family room includes four meals, however two of them are kid's meals.

Sleeping car passenger meal policy can be confusing sometimes, even for employees. The employee who must be absolutely up to date and current on all meal policies and changes is the dining car LSA. Other AMTRAK employees, ticket agents especially, aren't always kept well informed when meal policies are changed.

The old sleeping car passenger meal policy allowed for 2 meal in roomettes, 3 meals in a deluxe bedroom and up to 5 meals in the family room.

The following counts are the current maximums for passengers ticketed in sleeper car accommodations;

Roomettes - 4 meals

Deluxe Bedrooms - 4 meals

Family room - 6 meals

It's recommended that small children eat from the kids menu but it's not required.

There is a specific breakdown for each room and for adults or children.

Superliner Roomettes

1 passenger - 1 adult or 1 child

2 passenger - 2 children, 1 adult + 1 child, 2 adults

3 passenger - 3 children, 1 adult + 2 children

4 passenger - 4 children

Superliner Bedroom

1 passenger - 1 child or 1 adult

3 passenger - 3 children, 1 adult + 2 children, 2 adults + 1 child, 3 adults

4 passenger - 4 children, 1 adult + 3 children, 2 adults + 2 children

Superliner Family room

1 passenger - 1 adult or 1 child

3 passenger - 3 children, 1 adult + 2 children, 2 adults + 1 child, 3 adults

4 passenger - 4 children, 1 adult + 3 children, 2 adults + 2 children, 3 adults + 1 child, 4 adults

5 passenger - 5 children, 1 adult + 4 children, 2 adults + 3 children, 3 adults + 2 children, 4 adults + 1 child

6 passenger - 6 children, 1 adult + 5 children, 2 adults + 4 children, 3 adults + 3 children

See how this can be confusing even for employees?

These charts are copied directly from the Employee Service Standards Manual. All OBS and T&E employees are supposed to carry their manuals in their gear.

In some of the situations in the charts only a ticket agent supervisor could even book the number of people in the room but each person ticketed into a sleeping car accommodation should be provided their meals

Now I can't promise that all employees, even LSAs will be current on sleeping car meal check policies and maximum allowable checks per room. I still run into people I work with on the Empire Builder who aren't aware, correctly, of how many meals could be allowed for any particular room.

So as you can see, from those charts, three adults ticketed in a deluxe bedroom would indeed be allowed three meals without having to pay for one of them. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information, ex223. It certainly is a lot more complicated than I would've thought.

Hopefully the original poster will be able to get her three meals while we have something to chew on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back