Being Big On A Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious. How do you all know how many miles you have ridden? Is there a way to figure it out (track version), or do you just do a mapquest kind of thing and put the amount of driving miles?

Just curious. How do you all know how many miles you have ridden? Is there a way to figure it out (track version), or do you just do a mapquest kind of thing and put the amount of driving miles?
The timetable/schedules show miles between cities. Just add them up.

Thanks, now I can be like a lot of you with train miles. Haha. Even though right now I've only gone 80 miles total officially, the other 3,256 will come at the end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realized I have the e-tickets instead of hard copy ones. Which isn't a problem. I figure I will use the one on my phone, but also bring printed copies just in case. Has anyone ever had problems with their phones being scanned with the ticket reader thing? Don't want to cause a back up or anything.

Also. When I get to the station do I need to do anything special? I'll be carrying on bags as you all know or might know if you've been following this thread, so there won't be any checked baggage's. Do I just walk to the train platform and wait when it comes in?

The most trouble I had with an eticket was with one that an agent printed out at the ticket counter, it just wouldn't scan. The conductor had to look up my name on the device and "lift my ticket" that way. The people with the PDFs didn't appear to have any problems. The PDF printout will probably be the clearest, but you shouldn't have any trouble with the phone. If nothing works, the conductor can look you up by name. Same principles apply as with air travel boarding passes on a phone, turn the phone up to its brightest, and set the power save off or set the power save period long enough that you won't have to fumble around waking up your phone that went to sleep while you were waiting.

Boarding at most stations, you probably won't even have your ticket scanned until you are onboard and underway and the conductor walks through the train to collect/scan tickets. At a few larger stations, the conductors will do a check-in and scan your ticket before you board, and some crews on some trains only open a couple doors and scan tickets before they let you on, but that is the exception, not the rule. I re-read the first page of the thread and saw that you were starting your trip on 29, but didn't see which station you were boarding at.

Boarding process varies by station. Unstaffed stations, you usually just go out to platform. Smaller staffed stations, same thing, although some have a gate to the platform that the agent won't open until the train is about to arrive. Large stations may require a check-in, have the "kindergarten walk" where the agent controls access to the platform, or both.

Cooley,

To me, one of the most important things you can do is be friendly and NICE to the SCAs. While all service should be the same, I've seen people who speak in a demanding tone to the SCAs and talk down to them. Man, these SCAs have alot to do and most try their best to give you good service. You don't sound like that sort of person but I thought it worth mentioning.

If I need something I usually ask them to < do whatever> when they get a chance...no rush.

Most GOOD SCAs will ask you what time you want to eat, but keep in mind they might have 6 sleeper passengers also ordering meals to their room so give them some cushion time.

Besides tips, the best thing you can do is be nice and if the service is good, tell them you appreciate it. I think it's something missing in most of society. But again, you sound like the type of person that thinks that way.

I'll be leaving Union Station (Washington, D.C.), to Union Station (Chicago), to Los Angeles, which is apparently a bus? Not sure why that is, but guess they don't have an area for the train to go through? Then I get back on the train at Bakersfield to take to Fresno.

Cooley,
To me, one of the most important things you can do is be friendly and NICE to the SCAs. While all service should be the same, I've seen people who speak in a demanding tone to the SCAs and talk down to them. Man, these SCAs have alot to do and most try their best to give you good service. You don't sound like that sort of person but I thought it worth mentioning.

If I need something I usually ask them to < do whatever> when they get a chance...no rush.

Most GOOD SCAs will ask you what time you want to eat, but keep in mind they might have 6 sleeper passengers also ordering meals to their room so give them some cushion time.

Besides tips, the best thing you can do is be nice and if the service is good, tell them you appreciate it. I think it's something missing in most of society. But again, you sound like the type of person that thinks that way.
Yeah I'm defintiely that kind of person. I don't take people for granted or the work/jobs they do. Always have had hard working people in the family, especially in working areas such as the SCA's do. As I mentioned earlier my grandfather was a bartender. As said, if they are making your life easier, there's no need to be a pain.

I'll leave it to East Coast people to describe the current boarding process at WAS for 29, only boarded there twice and that was some years ago. I do know if you are in a sleeper, you have access to Club Acela and you should wait there. Also WAS has redcaps, and you may want to use them for your carry-ons.

Yes, the connection from LA to Bakersfield is an Amtrak California Thruway bus. One reason is that the rail route between the two cities is indirect, it goes northeast to Palmdale and Mojave, then back west over famed Tehachapi Pass to Bakersfield. It took about 5 hours by rail on the last scheduled passenger service, SP's San Joaquin Daylight, versus like 2 hours on Santa Fe's bus connection with the San Francisco Chief (or the Golden Gates, earlier). Perhaps the main reason is that Southern Pacific, later Union Pacific, flatly won't allow regular Amtrak service over busy Tehachapi Pass. Tehachapi hasn't hosted regularly scheduled passenger service since April 30, 1971 (well, technically May 2, 1971, when the last San Francisco Chief from Chicago went through), and SP and later UP have always wanted to keep it that way.

I'll definitely check out the Acela club lounge. I assume it's a little more fancy than the standard lounge? I'm sure you might not know, but if someone does, is the train boarding on that level for Chicago? Or do they vary depending on what time certain trains come in, etc?

Thanks for the information on the bus, never really could find an exact reason as to why that was. I assumed that there just wasn't a track between the two or something along that line.

Club Acela is considerably nicer that the regular waiting area, which I wouldn't categorize as a "lounge" at any Amtrak station, and you should definitely use it. The early boarding for sleeper passengers will take place from CA as well. As to the boarding level, I defer to those who frequent WAS more than I do.

BTW, the former SP line between Bakersfield and Los Angeles is the first rail link between the Los Angeles and Bay Area/Northern California and LA's first rail link to the outside world generally. It was opened in 1876. The Coast Line that the Coast Starlight uses wasn't opened until 1901.

Well I guess I will get to feel like royalty for a little bit. Nice waiting area, early boarding. LOL. Sounds like it should be interesting. Hopefully someone can help me out. I keep looking for Union Station maps and what not, but all that really shows up is the stores and stuff that are on the other floors so it's been a little harder than expected.

Oh wow, so it's pretty old. I was watching one of the "lost worlds" shows on the History Channel I think? I may have the name of the show wrong too. Either way it was interesting showing how LA had one of the biggest metro systems. One that could challenge NY and Chicago's, but when the car boom happened, they did away with them. Was quite interesting.

You are refering to the Pacific Electric Railway, colloquially known as the Red Car, which was the largest electric interurban railroad in the world at its height. It reached most of the suburbs (created most of them) and really was the main cause LA started out so spread out. It was mostly surface, though, and if you were watching the episode about the Subway Terminal Building, the Hollywood Subway was only a little over 1 mile long and went through Bunker Hill to avoid the slow surface route on streets through downtown LA for the westside and San Fernando Valley lines. You could ride from San Bernardino to Santa Monica or "Owensmouth" (present day Chatsworth) to Newport Beach on the Red Car at one time.

It you ever watched "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", the streetcar system that is prominent in the story line is the Pacific Electric. The streetcar you see in it is a fairly accurate copy of a PE 600-series "Hollywood Car".

The last Pacific Electric (formerly PE at the time) interurban line was between Los Angeles and Long Beach and ceased service in 1961. Ironically, today's Blue Line light rail line between Los Angeles and Long Beach is almost entirely on PE's old right of way. It was LA's last interurban line to be abandoned, and then was reborn as LA's first modern "light rail" line.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's it, the Subway building rings a bell. I believe I have that movie, haven't watched it in years, might have to check it out tonight.

I'll be leaving Union Station (Washington, D.C.), to Union Station (Chicago), to Los Angeles, which is apparently a bus? Not sure why that is, but guess they don't have an area for the train to go through? Then I get back on the train at Bakersfield to take to Fresno.
I am sure you will be on a train to LA, but possibly a bus from Los Angeles to Bakersfield. I have never heard of anyone having to take a bus from Chicago to LA.

Also, if you are in a sleeper, in Chicago, you will wait in the sleeper lounge and walk with the other sleeper passaengers to the train, I will leave the other stations to others.

I'll definitely check out the Acela club lounge. I assume it's a little more fancy than the standard lounge? I'm sure you might not know, but if someone does, is the train boarding on that level for Chicago? Or do they vary depending on what time certain trains come in, etc?
Yes, here is a map of Chicago Union Station.

I was referring more towards D.C. to Chicago, but that helps me for when we end up in Chicago so thanks! Granted our wait is like six hours till we leave for California. Speaking of which. Anything to "see" in the Chicago Union Station or near it (being we'll have luggage)?

You can store your luggage for free with the redcap in the luggage storage room in the Metropolitan Lounge (tip, though).

In the immediate area are

Willis (Sears) Tower

Lou Mitchell's Restaurant

Giordano's Pizza

Al's Italian Beef

Greektown

Always wanted to see the Sears tower. Probably will check that out for sure. Guess I should check out something Italian while there too right?

From reading on the Amtrak site, the Acela Club in Washington, D.C. and the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago are similar? Such as who has access and free drinks etc?

They are very similar. Comfortable couches and chairs, soft drinks (Pepsico products only), coffee, tea, snacks are out and available. TVs scattered around. The only difference may be luggage storage. Some places they are just open shelves, but in Chicago the luggage storage room is handled by a redcap.

Club Acela is for Acela First Class and Sleeper passengers. The Metropolitan Lounge used to be Sleeper passengers only, but apparently recently Business Class travelers on the corridor trains out of Chicago can use it, too.

Is the area around the Chicago station "safe." I know sometimes where train stations tend to be, aren't always the safest in a sense. Believe I saw some people talking about that at one of the New Orleans stations? I see the Sears Tower (or now Willis Tower), is 0.54 miles from the station. I'd like to check it out, but don't want any problems. We'll be there at 9am, so it's not like it'll be dark (I know parts of D.C. are okay in the day, but at night you don't want to be there). Is that the case for the Chicago Union Station?

My daughter & I walked to the "tower" on our trip thru Chicago. Felt perfectly safe. We also walked the other direction to the CVS.

I had even scoped out a couple of churches to walk to if we decided we wanted to go to Mass since we were there on a Sunday, but we decided not to (it was in November).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back