Berlin <> Paris high-speed slated

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SNCF and DB have negotiated and International Railway Journal reports:

German Rail (DB) and French National Railways (SNCF) will launch a direct high-speed service between Berlin and Paris on December 16, operating once a day in each direction and offering a journey time of 8 hours.
If I recall correctly, this is an existing Berlin-Erfurt-Frankfurt ICE Sprinter train and an existing Frankfurt-Paris ICE International train which are connected through rather than an entirely new service (though connection time in Frankfurt was probably too short to transfer between the two, but there hasn‘t been a shortage of other Berlin-Frankfurt trains).

It‘s a bit like Amtrak combining the Cardinal Capitol and Silver Star and calling the new train the „Floridian“…

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, this is an existing Berlin-Erfurt-Frankfurt ICE Sprinter train and an existing Frankfurt-Paris ICE International train which are connected through rather than an entirely new service (though connection time in Frankfurt was probably too short to transfer between the two, but there hasn‘t been a shortage of Berlin-Frankfurt trains).

It‘s a bit like Amtrak combining the Cardinal and Silver Star and calling the new train the „Floridian“…
I think you meant Capitol and Silver Star.

There has also been Nightjet service on this route for awhile now. IIRC the "new" train was first talked about pre-pandemic. No surprise it has taken this long to launch.

There has also been Nightjet service on this route for awhile now. IIRC the "new" train was first talked about pre-pandemic. No surprise it has taken this long to launch.
I guess it's discontinued now because of the war and sanctions and all that, but there even used to be a train from Moscow via Berlin to Paris that ran between one and three times a week, and another from Moscow via Vienna to Nice.

Time saving?
I guess time saving. Trains need to reverse at Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof, and the approaches are a bit of a pinch point as well. Maybe it's also a marketing issue. As in short-haul riders might crowd out long distance passengers.

Back