Best Round Trip Route From Chicago to Essex, VT?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
Can anyone suggest a round trip route Bloomington/Normal to Essex, VT, or Chicago to Essex with as few hotel nights as possible?

I would like to take the Cardinal once, either there or back. The rest of the way, I really don't care. I just don't want to spend a lot of nights in hotels between here and there, although I'd like to spend a couple of nights in Essex.

Thanks!

First, it's easy to make the connection from Bloomington to Chicago. If you take the Cardinal, then you'll have to stay overnight in Washington DC or NYC or anywhere in between.

Then you can take the Vermonter going north the next day to Essex Junction VT, which originates in Washington DC.

Coming back, you can (1) take the Vermonter south to Springfield (arrive at 2:35pm) and take the westbound LSL to Chicago (departs Springfield at 3:23pm). Alternatively (2), you can take the ferry from nearby Burlington VT across Lake Champlain to Port Kent NY*, take the Adirondack south to Schenectady (arrives 5:27pm) or Albany (5:57pm) and then take the westbound LSL to Chicago (Departs Albany 7:05pm, Schenectady 7:32pm). I have heard that the scenery on the Adirondack is quite good.

*Beware the ferry only operates between mid-June and mid-September.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the Cardinal last fall. The scenery was wonderful, and eastbound is definitely the direction to take it when days are shortened. Like you will, I found myself between WAS and NYP in the evening, and I chose to stay in Baltimore at the HI Hostel. Yup, it was an eight-person (women's) bunk room, but the company was good (mostly international travelers), the room not very full, and the price could not be beat (around $30, including a simple breakfast, for non-members). Baltimore has a free Charm City Circulator bus system that takes you within a couple blocks of the hostel (and many other hotels if you prefer). The northbound Vermonter leaves BAL at 8:49am, a very civilized hour.

The main drawback to this schedule was that the Cardinal was late enough to mess up my plan of having dinner in one of Baltimore's wonderful restaurants when I arrived, LOL. ;)

First, it's easy to make the connection from Bloomington to Chicago. If you take the Cardinal, then you'll have to stay overnight in Washington DC or NYC or anywhere in between.

Then you can take the Vermonter going north the next day to Essex Junction VT, which originates in Washington DC.

Coming back, you can (1) take the Vermonter south to Springfield (arrive at 2:35pm) and take the westbound LSL to Chicago (departs Springfield at 3:23pm). Alternatively (2), you can take the ferry from nearby Burlington VT across Lake Champlain to Port Kent NY*, take the Adirondack south to Schenectady (arrives 5:27pm) or Albany (5:57pm) and then take the westbound LSL to Chicago (Departs Albany 7:05pm, Schenectady 7:32pm). I have heard that the scenery on the Adirondack is quite good.

Thank you. I didn't know the ferry was so limited and it was one of the possibilities I was thinking of. About the Vermonter to Springfield, and then the LSL, I need to check the OTP of the Vermonter. Less than one hour between trains seems a bit tight. Have you done this?

I took the Cardinal last fall. The scenery was wonderful, and eastbound is definitely the direction to take it when days are shortened. Like you will, I found myself between WAS and NYP in the evening, and I chose to stay in Baltimore at the HI Hostel. Yup, it was an eight-person (women's) bunk room, but the company was good (mostly international travelers), the room not very full, and the price could not be beat (around $30, including a simple breakfast, for non-members). Baltimore has a free Charm City Circulator bus system that takes you within a couple blocks of the hostel (and many other hotels if you prefer). The northbound Vermonter leaves BAL at 8:49am, a very civilized hour.

The main drawback to this schedule was that the Cardinal was late enough to mess up my plan of having dinner in one of Baltimore's wonderful restaurants when I arrived, LOL. ;)
Baltimore! I would not have thought of that. I've never been there. I'm going to look up the hostel. Thanks!

Essex Junction is the station for Burlington. I have not taken it, but I understand there are city busses between Burlington and Essex Junction.

Another idea if you can take the ferry from Port Kent to Burlington and to avoid an overnight stay is to get off the Cardinal at 6:xx ( :giggle: ) and if you can stay awake all night (Union Station is a 24 hour station - but be aware if you have a room on the Cardinal that the Club Acela closes ar 9:30), you can take a (VERY) early departure to NYP. There are trains at 3:15 and 4:00 that connect to the Adirondack.

In Port Kent, the train stops at the ferry landing - but on a hill (road)! Going north it's downhill, but southbound it's uphill! :eek:

I did a trip to Burlington, VT from NYP via Rutland, then an excursion train to Burlington which isn't currently running. I staid in a reasonably priced motel near the airport. In morning, I took the city bus in Burlington to downtown and transferred to a connecting bus to Essex Jct. It took less than an hour and stopped right by the Amtrak Station in Essex JCT. That routing by bus seemed to work any morning, but Sunday. It seems like Burlington has a fairly good local bus system. In the next few years the train will run from Rutland to Burlington, again when the tracks are improved,

I did a trip to Burlington, VT from NYP via Rutland, then an excursion train to Burlington which isn't currently running. I staid in a reasonably priced motel near the airport. In morning, I took the city bus in Burlington to downtown and transferred to a connecting bus to Essex Jct. It took less than an hour and stopped right by the Amtrak Station in Essex JCT. That routing by bus seemed to work any morning, but Sunday. It seems like Burlington has a fairly good local bus system. In the next few years the train will run from Rutland to Burlington, again when the tracks are improved,
Another (in the list of millions) thing I didn't know was there is a bus between Essex Junction and Burlington. The area looks so remote that I never thought to look for a bus. Thank you.

Another (in the list of millions) thing I didn't know was there is a bus between Essex Junction and Burlington. The area looks so remote that I never thought to look for a bus. Thank you.
Here's the REGIONAL bus system page. I grew up in Burlington, and they have had a good bus system since I was a kid over fifty years ago, but they seem to have expanded it quite a bit.

My sister probably knows a good place to stay in Essex, as she stayed there in recent years while visiting my brother (who lives there, but is probably clueless about lodgings, LOL). I have asked her, and will report back about what she says.

Thank you. I didn't know the ferry was so limited and it was one of the possibilities I was thinking of. About the Vermonter to Springfield, and then the LSL, I need to check the OTP of the Vermonter. Less than one hour between trains seems a bit tight. Have you done this?
The past 10 months, according to ASMAD, it missed 9% of the connections. Most of the recent connections involve 20 minutes at SPG or less, which is indeed tight.
Otherwise, stay a night in Springfield and continue the next day, I suppose. Then, of course, you'll have time to go down to NYP for the LSL the next day or WAS for the CL the next day.

I'm currently investigating going through Canada, as unlikely as it sounds.

OK, got a plan through Canada . . .

1. *somehow* get to Montreal, QC.

2. VIA #65 Montreal QC 10:55 to Toronto ON 16:03.

3. VIA #79 Toronto ON 19:05 to Windsor ON 23:18.

4. Next morning, Amtrak #353 Detroit MI 11:20 to Chicago IL 15:58.

It's a pain, but if you don't trust the Vermonter to LSL connection, and you can't use the ferry, it's the fastest way to get to Chicago.

You could use the Charlotte VT to Essex NY ferry, but you'd have to find a way to (1) go from Burlington VT to Charlotte VT and (2) Essex NY to Westport NY.

It's a pain, but if you don't trust the Vermonter to LSL connection, and you can't use the ferry, it's the fastest way to get to Chicago.

You could use the Charlotte VT to Essex NY ferry, but you'd have to find a way to (1) go from Burlington VT to Charlotte VT and (2) Essex NY to Westport NY.
That won't work for me. I let my passport expire after my VIA trip last year. I had only used it three times in ten years and don't plan to get it renewed.

That won't work for me. I let my passport expire after my VIA trip last year. I had only used it three times in ten years and don't plan to get it renewed.
I found out a couple years ago that, if it's been less than 10 years since your passport expired, you don't have to go through all the hoopla with original ID again -- just send your old passport in with the app, it's all you need for ID.

I found out a couple years ago that, if it's been less than 10 years since your passport expired, you don't have to go through all the hoopla with original ID again -- just send your old passport in with the app, it's all you need for ID.
It has been over six months since it expired. I thought that was the cutoff. I'll do some research. Thanks!

It has been over six months since it expired. I thought that was the cutoff. I'll do some research. Thanks!
I believe O P Unfortunately mine expired more that 10 years ago, so I'll have to reapply some day.

If you're 'somehow' getting to Montreal, why not use the scenic Adirondack to Plattsburgh and get an Enterprise rental for touring Burlington (a short scenic ferry ride involved) and over to Essex. I think Burlington is a far more interesting city than Essex - great restaurants and very scenic setting on Lake Champlain. Maybe make a detour down to Ft. Ticonderoga. Then return via Adirondack to LSL. You can make same day connection in Albany.

I meant "somehow" to Montreal to get a fast for Everydaymatters to get back home to Chicago. The Vermonter to LSL transfer at Springfield MA is too short, and the Port Kent NY to Burlington VT ferry only runs a quarter of the year, so I suggested via Montreal instead of somehow getting to Charlotte VT to take the ferry there, then somehow get from Essex NY (completely different place from Essex VT) to Westport to catch the Adirondack. There is, I believe, a Greyhound from Burlington to Montreal.

I believe O P Unfortunately mine expired more that 10 years ago, so I'll have to reapply some day.
I think it was slightly more involved than a simple renewal. I filled out the same application as Hubby (a first-time passport applicant). But I did not have to send multiple forms of ID including a birth certificate, just the old passport (which I received back with a hole punch through it). I had gone ALMOST ten years after expiration, so I was delighted to find out that my old passport was (just barely) considered adequate ID.

I think it was slightly more involved than a simple renewal. I filled out the same application as Hubby (a first-time passport applicant). But I did not have to send multiple forms of ID including a birth certificate, just the old passport (which I received back with a hole punch through it). I had gone ALMOST ten years after expiration, so I was delighted to find out that my old passport was (just barely) considered adequate ID.
I hope I can find my old passport. I know it's around here somewhere :blush:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/renew.html
Thanks, Betty. Printed it out for later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back