Bi-level Long Distance (LD) fleet replacement RFP discussion H2 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Stadler makes mostly aluminum trains, does this fact make them less likely to win (since Amtrak is requesting a stainless steel trainset)?

Also, I wonder how likely it is that Hitachi or Kawasaki win this contract since they do, in fact, make quality vehicles but it is also true that Amtrak has never ordered any equipment from them.

Last edited:
This sleeper situation is very confusing to this person. For a full single level sleeper, the median fares bucket seems to be 3 - 4 + times what a full coach brings in. Now if Amtrak would get all its single level sleeper in service and order more the revenue potential would seem very pro passenger. That probably means that the additional costs do not penalize the present bonus system. Realize that Amtrak got burned on the V-2 deliveries, but it should take the lessons learned and buy another 150 - 200 single level sleepers. That makes it possible to have 6 - 7 sleepers on each single level LD train with possibility that another single level train can be started. That IMO would be a DFW - Meridian -ATL - NYP round trip.

We have to wonder how many last many sleeper passengers would ride if space was able 1 - 7 days in advance at more reasonable fares. Of course, that means aggressive marking of the various routes and cut off cars on some routes especially the Crescent.

At present , it appears that last minute sleeper requests go no where due to presnt sell out. So many potential riders probably say "why even try"

In August 2023, I discovered what I thought was the low bucket sleeper fare on 6 from EMY to Chicago about a week out. IIRC, it was around $670. When I got to San Francisco, I realized I had booked it for the wrong day. I had intended to spend one night in San Francisco, but I had it for the day after the day I wanted to leave. I went into the app to change it and got a roomette for $610, which was less than what I paid. I agree that finding such low fares is much more difficult now.

Re my earlier comment about Kawasaki, if they would toss in a bar car with snacks, I'd happily ride in a transit car for trips under 200 miles if it was cheap, fast and frequent. Would be nice if they faced the seats forward, though, and the FRA would probably make them take out the standee straps.

I believe this used to be called an interurban...

Back