Car on Amtrak, possible?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here will have some knowledge about this topic. I might soon be making a move from Washington state to Michigan. I really want to be able to take my car along. After looking on Amtrak's site it seems their "auto train" is very limited. However, a good friend of mine moved from Chicago to Washington about 6 months ago & he was able to bring his car with him ON AMTRAK. He says a broker helped him get the deal - the sad part is he has no contact info on the broker.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how I might be able to take my car along on Amtrak?

Thanks in advance,

HS

Unless he drove it to Florida and put it on AutoTrain or disassembled it and put it in his luggage.......

We've had some discussions on here about whether or not an additional AutoTrain route might be successful, but mostly it's been focused on connecting Florida with the Chicago area or perhaps with the West Coast. And with the current situation (Sunset Limited still being held hostage by Amtrak HQ, waiting for the affected States to pay ransom before Amtrak will resume service east of New Orleans), it doesn't seem very likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe BNSF started a service a year or so ago, but I don't know if it made it this far...it was to use dedicated auto racks for private owner cars, not just new ones being transported from ports or factories. Definitely NOT on Amtrak though.

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone here will have some knowledge about this topic. I might soon be making a move from Washington state to Michigan. I really want to be able to take my car along. After looking on Amtrak's site it seems their "auto train" is very limited. However, a good friend of mine moved from Chicago to Washington about 6 months ago & he was able to bring his car with him ON AMTRAK. He says a broker helped him get the deal - the sad part is he has no contact info on the broker.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how I might be able to take my car along on Amtrak?

Thanks in advance,

HS

Definitely worth checking out. I'll see what I can find out. Thank you!

I believe BNSF started a service a year or so ago, but I don't know if it made it this far...it was to use dedicated auto racks for private owner cars, not just new ones being transported from ports or factories. Definitely NOT on Amtrak though.

There are also hundreds of specialized companies that haul cars, particularly special interest ones like your Masarrati, in enclosed car haulers. Look in Hemmings Motor News on line, or on the newsstand. Maybe you could arrange to have them meet you at the other end on a certain date in a city served by Amtrak.

Makes me wonder exactly what he was talking about...I'll have to get more details.

There are also hundreds of specialized companies that haul cars, particularly special interest ones like your Masarrati, in enclosed car haulers. Look in Hemmings Motor News on line, or on the newsstand. Maybe you could arrange to have them meet you at the other end on a certain date in a city served by Amtrak.
Makes me wonder exactly what he was talking about...I'll have to get more details.
No question that amtrak did not haul this car, but Auto Train has provided this kind of service in the past when there is space available. Passengers cannot travel on AT without their cars, but cars can travel without passengers.

I have had my car hauled across country 4 times and have always used a truck car carrier, since they will provide door to door service.

No question that amtrak did not haul this car, but Auto Train has provided this kind of service in the past when there is space available. Passengers cannot travel on AT without their cars, but cars can travel without passengers.

I have had my car hauled across country 4 times and have always used a truck car carrier, since they will provide door to door service.
Here is one that transports autos by train:
AutoLog

And, a way to obtain quotes to transport by truck:

Auto Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back