chart for reward redemption?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
:help: Is there a chart/page that shows how many rewards I would need for a specific trip (LCH to Boston or Montreal,etc)? How do I know how many rewards are needed if I get off the train in some of the cities? I can't seem to find a simple formula. Thank you.

Go to https://www.amtrakgu...ards.com/redeem and click the item marked "Amtrak Travel". There's also a chart here.

Here's the zone map:

zonemap.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thàt is the chart but exactly how it is interpreted in "vague" situations is not shared with the public. :angry:

You can not stopover in a city on an AGR reward. You must redeem a new Award each time you stopover, unless you take the next train out. Also do not count the northeast zone as a zone unless BOTH your origination and destination stations are with that zone, if one is outside the northeast zone, only consider it as the eastern zone!

The last time this map came up, ScottP pointed us to this link, complete with border city names. It's a shame that we have to use the Wayback Machine to look up something as basic as the zone map, but that's AGR for you.

The last time this map came up, ScottP pointed us to this link, complete with border city names. It's a shame that we have to use the Wayback Machine to look up something as basic as the zone map, but that's AGR for you.
Thanks everyone for the info. It helped a lot. One more question- if I go from LCH to NOL to Chi to Cincinatti, or CIN to NYP to BOS to Cleveland, are these 1 zone trips? Thanks again.

One more question- if I go from LCH to NOL to Chi to Cincinatti, or CIN to NYP to BOS to Cleveland, are these 1 zone trips? Thanks again.
Yes, each is a 1 zone trip! and if you stop in NYP, the NYP-BOS segment is in the northeast zone - a lower rate! However if you go LCH-NYP or LCH-BOS, and do not stop over in CIN or NYP, the whole trip each way would be 2 zones! For a roomette, the "cost" is 15,000 for 1 zone or 20,000 for 2 zones!

Unless you really wanted to stop at CIN or NYP, I personally think spending 20,000 points is better than to spend 30,000 points (for 2 one zone trips)! And if you were to take the Cardinal (You mentioned CIN and the only train to CIN is the Cardinal), you would arrive into NYP very late in the evening. Or if you continue to BOS, you would connect in WAS and connect to #66, but you would get BC seats (if you had a roomette) and arrive at 8 AM!

Thanks everyone for the info. It helped a lot. One more question- if I go from LCH to NOL to Chi to Cincinatti, or CIN to NYP to BOS to Cleveland, are these 1 zone trips? Thanks again.
I'd expect that you'd have difficulties booking either itinerary. The first is perfectly legitimate (you could even travel through San Antonio), but I can't get it to come up on amtrak.com, and lately I encountered a lot of agents that seem to think that if amtrak.com don't show it, they don't book it. The second itinerary (CIN-NYP-BOS-CLE) would require an overnight in Boston. Even CIN-NYP-CLE would require an overnight in New York. I'd expect that you'd be expected to travel between those two cities via Chicago. Since overnight stops are usually a no-no (nothing in AGRLand is absolute), you'll need to use all your charm to book the trip heading eastward.

Back