DOJ Cites NS for Crescent Delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More at this article: https://wapo.st/3WJZDgw. Excerpt:

"Norfolk Southern controls all but about 240 miles of the 1,377-mile line, called the Crescent Route, and is in charge of dispatching both freight and passenger trains. Federal law requires the company to give Amtrak trains preference. But according to the lawsuit, Norfolk Southern has instead held up passengers, sometimes for hours, to allow its longer and slower-moving freight trains to pass. Only about 24 percent of Amtrak trains on the route arrive on time, according to the lawsuit and Amtrak’s own audits."

Besides reducing demand on the route, the delays cause operational headaches and extra costs for Amtrak which has to juggle trains and crews.

You shouldn't encounter a paywall...I've "gifted" the article using my Post subscription, which warns me I can only share 4 more articles this month, and seeing as it's the 31st I'm gonna chance it.

More at this article: https://wapo.st/3WJZDgw. Excerpt:

"Norfolk Southern controls all but about 240 miles of the 1,377-mile line, called the Crescent Route, and is in charge of dispatching both freight and passenger trains. Federal law requires the company to give Amtrak trains preference. But according to the lawsuit, Norfolk Southern has instead held up passengers, sometimes for hours, to allow its longer and slower-moving freight trains to pass. Only about 24 percent of Amtrak trains on the route arrive on time, according to the lawsuit and Amtrak’s own audits."

Besides reducing demand on the route, the delays cause operational headaches and extra costs for Amtrak which has to juggle trains and crews.

You shouldn't encounter a paywall...I've "gifted" the article using my Post subscription, which warns me I can only share 4 more articles this month, and seeing as it's the 31st I'm gonna chance it.
Liked: That Amtrak is finally asserting its rights under the law.
Disliked: That NS has been getting away with this for decades
Disliked: The resulting on-time performance of the Crescent
Liked: That you gifted the article.

On the balance, a "Like"!

So many of the carriers have ripped up second track that this is what happens. Some are putting it back, but that takes time. In the end, only heavy fines will stop the delaying of Amtrak trains.
When passenger rail became way smaller in the 1960's and 1970's many freight railroads did in fact rip up their two track lines and went to single tracks. The PRR Broadway Ltd was a prime example that was once two tracks through Ohio, Indiana and om to Chicago. Now its only a single track NS freight line but there is potential for passenger service there again.
With the mile+ long freights of today the rails are very crowded and most passing sidings cannot accommodate them. Up by me the slow freight trains run every 15 minutes. Right now the way to get passenger trains to move on schedule is to get the freight moving faster, but in the long run double tracks and new routes will be required.

Is it gonna change anything since they been doing it for years anyway or is the complaint worth the paper it’s written on?
Amtrak's now trying 2 routes, DOJ for the crescent hosted by NS and STB for sunset limited hosted by UP
Amtrak has a clear case in both that the host railroads have delayed them due to freight trains getting higher priority

Not quite sure how this would work. Make the fine a very large amount. That fine would need to be invested on the Crescent route in addition to any NS planned improvements. Example say a $400M fine would be used to add or making sidings longer for any monster trains on the Crescent route.

Amtrak and / or FRA would select locations.

Back