Greyhound sounding Chicago alarm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A more detailed report, citing important local professor and advocate, Joe Schwieterman:

https://wgntv.com/news/traffic/chicago-bus-station-greyhound-lease/
https://wgntv.com/

Some key points:

Service at the Chicago Bus Station, at 630 W. Harrison St., in the city’s Near West Side Neighborhood, will end in mid-September. Greyhound’s lease at the facility ends at the end of October.

“We first drew attention to this 14 months ago, saying the clock is ticking. We need a solution,” transportation expert Joe Schwieterman told WGN on Wednesday.

“The station is owned by a private real estate company that’s saying, ‘Look, it’s been three years. We need you to come to the plate and buy the station or we’re going to sell it off,'” he explained. “We’re trying to make the argument this isn’t just saving Greyhound, it’s saving all the intercity bus services. There are four different lines and other lines that could be put there too if we had a public owner.”

In a letter to the city, Flix North America CEO Kai Boysan shared that the city and the Chicago Department of Transportation looked into buying the facility but a federal grant wasn’t awarded. The letter also stated that a request for access to the Chicago Transit Authority’s Union Station Transit Center hasn’t been granted.

Greyhound leadership says that without a solution, Greyhound and other bus carriers will be forced to severely reduce service to Chicago. One short-term solution on the table is operating buses from a curb at Union Station.

“They’re not technically allowed to use Union Station,” Schwieterman said. “That’s just for Amtrak and Metra, so we’re going to have people all sprawled over the street with their luggage and Greyhound will have to cut service probably because it’s so crowded there.”

The city has suggested that they're committed to finding alternate accommodations for riders.

However, where the city ended up putting Megabus was anything but adequate. Considering the size out Greyhound service in the Chicago hub, this is going to end up being a huge mess, which the city doesn't seem to appreciate or be taking seriously.

If nothing else, I'd recommend the same thing I did with Megabus. Offer bus providers a street loading location along Canal, north of Madison, by the Ogilvie Transportation Center. (Where there is curbside street space available.) Allow passengers to wait inside at the Ogilvie facilities (food court, etc.) Require Greyhound to rent and staff a counter at Ogilvie to assist in serving passengers. This might not be ideal, but would be a better solution than anything else currently available.
Theoretically, something similar could be done at Union Station, where Greyhound already rents (but doesn't adequately staff) a service counter, if an agreement could be reached with Amtrak. However, it seems that there isn't as much space readily available around Union Station for buses. The CTA terminal was never built to facilitate it, despite discussions to such concerning Megabus, at the time. Any chance the old parking ramps at Union Station could be an option?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/transportation/2024/08/08/greyhound-bus-union-station-flixbus

The city of Chicago wants Greyhound passengers to be allowed to wait inside Union Station before they board buses across the street after the carrier’s expected eviction from its West Loop terminal in mid-September.

Curbside service at the Chicago Transit Authority’s transit center at Canal Street and Jackson Boulevard “is probably the most feasible” option but will require Greyhound to adjust its schedules around the CTA’s, the city’s chief operating officer, John Roberson, told the Chicago Sun-Times on Thursday.

Feet on the ground assessment is that this, simply, is not feasible in practice. Especially long term. For one, it underestimates the amount of bus service there is in Chicago, as a major hub. Secondly, there really isn't sufficient space for multiple intercity carriages inside the terminal...and there's hardly enough for one at rush hour. In practice, however, Greyhound already HAS been shifting Chicago service to this location; stopping streetside. (And passengers already are waiting inside Union Station.) It's as big of a mess as it was for Megabus in the area. And dangerous. The city needs to step up. CTA just completed an 80 million dollar L station near the sports stadium which will host this year's Democratic National Convention. While that new stop is at an important location, it's an amount of money that would have been better spent (at less cost) purchasing the Greyhound station.

With that in mind, if the current property owner were willing to hold out a little longer, a viable idea to gain a grant would be to combine purchase of the Greyhound station with an upgrade or new station for CTA at Clinton. Ideally, offering an almost direct connection between the Greyhound Station and the subway. Such might be seen as stage 1 of connecting CTA directly with both bus and train services, the latter at Union Station and, perhaps also Ogilvie.

The Sun Times editorial

https://chicago.suntimes.com/editor...st-loop-kicked-out-intercity-travel-editorial

Fact is, this situation should have been worked out by now. That it hasn’t, and the carriers still have no new home, is a slap in the face to bus travelers and a mark against Chicago’s reputation as the transportation capital of the U.S.

Is all lost? Boysan said there is a potential solution on the board, but he wouldn’t disclose what it was. But given the lateness of the hour, now isn’t the time to not say.

“We’ve been collaborating for over a year, and it’s time to make a decision,” Boysan said.

Boysan is certainly right. And Chicago, a city so willing to hand out millions to enrich developers — and to spend billions to improve O’Hare Airport — now has to recognize that a quality destination and departure spot is something that even the humblest of travelers deserves.

I don't understand why it isn't Flix's responsibility to provide terminal space.
They are providing a transportation service, ideally the city would provide them a location with reasonable rent at the very least.

I don't understand why cities will spend millions on sports stadiums and arenas but they won't provide basic transportation infrastructure but that's where we are.

They are providing a transportation service, ideally the city would provide them a location with reasonable rent at the very least.

I don't understand why cities will spend millions on sports stadiums and arenas but they won't provide basic transportation infrastructure but that's where we are.
The large block of voters who are totally against taxes and government spending of any sort are also often sports fans and their principles vanish when the Super Bowl or World Series is at stake. Not that this helps the White Sox who just tied the MLB record for the longest losing streak ever.

Unfortunately, the reason is pretty clear, to me. Consider who the user’s of a sports stadium versus an intercity bus terminal are, in general…

If passenger rail is the red-haired stepchild of our transportation network, passenger busses are the skinny kid hanging around with a cardboard sign pleading for scraps. It is truly outrageous that there appears to be no real constituency for maintaining a viable and usable passenger coach business.

Forty some years ago, I took a mammoth, meandering transcontinental bus trip (almost 6000 miles in total, to get from the East Coast, where I was leaving school, to Seattle, which was to be my 'temporary' home. (Though 'temporary' turned out, except for a two year sojourn in New Orleans, to be for the past forty five years!) Even back then, it seemed a fairly adventurous thing to do. But in those days, there were bus routes connecting nearly all major metropolitan areas and lots of smaller towns, too. And in every major city, there was a clean, staffed, safe bus terminal to wait for the next connecting bus. Today it would be impossible to replicate that trip, and even the legs that still exist mostly don't have terminal space to await connections.

Today, nobody takes the bus who has any other options. No wonder governments are reluctant to provide the basic amenities that make bus travel possible. Truly sad...

Essentially the issue is the "old" Greyhound sold off their stations and leased them back. The Chicago station is on valuable property and Flix can't outbid other buyers who want to redevelop the site.

I view it like a family business getting passed down to the kids. One kid gets the business. The other gets the land and the building. The kid who gets the latter cashes in by selling off. The business has to move or close. Basically the same sort of situation here with the operations and land pieces being separated and sold off into two separate parts.

The problem in Chicago is the same as in other cities...

Except that Chicago is a major hub for Greyhound. Their terminal here is the O'Hare of intercity bus operations. The problem, which the city is not properly appreciating, is that just as you can't push all the flights at O'Hare to little old one runway Meigs Field (the former airport along the lakefront) you can't wedge the entirety of Greyhound service onto an already busy Jackson Ave. It is ironic that the city saw Megabus street operation in the same basic (around the corner) area as unworkable, and moved it to another area (awkward and offbeat, with absolutely no assistive indoor facilities like restrooms) on the fringe of downtown for their street loading based operation. But, somehow, an even more intense Greyhound operation is supposed to be most fitting on a busier street by Union Station than the spot where Megabus had set up shop.

The way in which the city is ignoring the impact of this situation is urban planning malpractice. They don't understand it, apparently. I guess Greyhound has always just been sort of out of sight/out of mind to them, over there on the block by Harrison and Desplaines.

Last edited:
Today, nobody takes the bus who has any other options. No wonder governments are reluctant to provide the basic amenities that make bus travel possible. Truly sad...

I disagree with this assessment. And I think Megabus proved otherwise, at least for a little while. Customers of bus services can be people who are, simply, looking for an affordable option in travel. They might be trying to get places which aren't easily served by airlines. I have met students, foreign travelers, young people who don't see the bus as "last resort" transportation, even a religious sister ("nun") returning to her community from attending a Mass with the pope. In most of these cases, the travelers were choosing the bus because it made most sense. Before Greyhound cut out certain intermediate stops to compete with more direct services once offered by Megabus, I'd see heavy passenger loads at suburban Chicago stations. The fact that the bus got them a lot closer to their destination than a plane or train seemed a motivating factor.

CTA has just completed an 80 million dollar new L station. The estimate for purchasing and updating the current Greyhound intercity station is 40 million. What will it cost the city to acquire and build at another location new? The challenge is to see how a bus station is or can be an economic driver for the city and its populace. It seems no one (save, perhaps, the professor at DePaul) has bothered to even study that.

What's happening with the O'Hare Bus Center?

Earlier this year, the city moved all regional bus operations from the bus center to the Multi Modal Facility:

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/doa/provdrs/dbata/news/2023/may/05122023.html

And the city was also sheltering migrants in the bus center, but seem to have better options available now.

Isn't this the sort of ready made facility which would be perfectly capable of (and, indeed, built for) handling the sort of traffic Greyhound has? It also solves the problem of, "Who manages a city controlled intercity bus facility, anyway?" Well, the Chicago Department of Aviation can!

Sure, it's not downtown. Neither is the airport. But, it's conveniently located right at an L station! Greyhound already makes some stops at 95th Street Red Line. They can maintain that as a side south option, for local riders. People transferring between buses, on longer journeys which do not terminate in Chicago, could do so at O'Hare.

The large block of voters who are totally against taxes and government spending of any sort are also often sports fans and their principles vanish when the Super Bowl or World Series is at stake. Not that this helps the White Sox who just tied the MLB record for the longest losing streak ever.
Not to get political, but sports teams have done a great job of selling the “ stadiums inject millions of dollars into the local economy” lie. They have done such a good job selling the lie that mayors, governors, and legislatures across the political spectrum believe it. Unfortunately, great transportation policy does not have the same support.

The Port Authority Bus Dungeon in NYC is getting a multi billion dollar replacement. Preliminary work has started.
I guess I should go up there and check out the old place before it goes. I used it a bit when I was in high school and college. Mostly camp charters and suburban buses from Jersey.

When Pullman Rail Journeys was running on the City I got a last minute discount 1-way with them. I literally stepped of Pullman Rail Journeys - the finest private cars ever - walked through Union Station and boarded a Mega Bus south. Talk about a culture shock! haha.

the challenge is to see how a bus station is or can be an economic driver for the city and its populace.

The bus station itself won't be an economic driver. That's part of the issue. But running all of the bus services off of the street doesn't work either. It will be interesting to see what happens.

When Pullman Rail Journeys was running on the City I got a last minute discount 1-way with them. I literally stepped of Pullman Rail Journeys - the finest private cars ever - walked through Union Station and boarded a Mega Bus south. Talk about a culture shock! haha.

The bus station itself won't be an economic driver. That's part of the issue. But running all of the bus services off of the street doesn't work either. It will be interesting to see what happens.

To a certain extent, I think the bus station can be an economic driver. Not to the extent as an airport, obviously. But not as an afterthought/public necessity, either. How many people is it bringing to Chicago? How many Chicago area residents does it serve? How can the bus station be seen not simply as an isolated facility, but in conjunction with development of local small businesses around it? Or, maybe even new affordable housing in the area, along with attracting new residents to Chicago. Again, if no one even bothers to think about or study these related factors, the instinctive answer will be "None at all." After all, it is assumed, "They're just a bunch of poor people." But, is that necessarily the case? What if they're a bunch of students and young adults who DO spend money, for instance? More work needs to be done to better appreciate ridership and how it influences or can better contribute to the local economy. I bet it's more than a few people buying a hot dog at the one in house concession stand.

Not to get political, but sports teams have done a great job of selling the “ stadiums inject millions of dollars into the local economy” lie. They have done such a good job selling the lie that mayors, governors, and legislatures across the political spectrum believe it. Unfortunately, great transportation policy does not have the same support.

Fortunately, better research as to what money losers sports stadiums are for local governments, coupled with more aware citizenry, is starting to change this. In Chicago, the Sox and Bears are both begging for public money again. No one's biting at their bait.

Conversely, Chicago politicians are starting to learn the importance of Amtrak and will certainly celebrate and tout any federal money that comes in to expand service on CTA. As long as the city doesn't have to pay for these projects, itself.

Back