How do refunds for sleeper tickets work?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
I think things have changed in the last year or so re refunds? although I can plainly see that when buying coach tickets there are 3 price levels with different refund possibilities, or not in the case of saver tickets.

What happens with Sleeper tickets, are they all cancellable and refundable within 12 months of purchase or are there conditions applied? If there are can someone post a link to the relevant page please.

Tried to follow this through and it not as straightforward as for coach tickets, thanks for any help with this.

Just to add: We are considering travelling from LAX to CHI on the TE in late October 2021, but haven't bought tickets yet. As with most things at the moment even next week is uncertain, and although I'm happy to buy and pay 10 months ahead it would only be if there were a guaranteed refund available.

What happens with Sleeper tickets, are they all cancellable and refundable within 12 months of purchase or are there conditions applied? If there are can someone post a link to the relevant page please.
To the best of my understanding after the first 24 hours the purchase time for new tickets becomes irrelevant and the travel date becomes the focus. If the travel date is 121+ days in the future you can cancel with a full refund or voucher. Between 120 days and 15 days refunds are penalized 25%. Within 14 days no refunds are allowed and vouchers are penalized 25%. Amtrak does not explicitly say if the 120 to 15 day window allows 100% vouchers but that is the implied result in my view. They do say no change fee so it's possible you could keep changing dates and still receive a full refund as long as you never got closer than 121 days away. Be aware that moving the dates around would likely place an old trip under new rules applicable at the time of the change and I've lost tickets by painting myself into a corner.

Link: Amtrak Train Ticket Refund and Cancellation Policy

1608957507436.png

Last edited:
You might want to give Amtrak a call and clarify their current Covid-related policies...does their policy still include cancellations as well as changes?
Earlier this year I cancelled several sleeper reservations (points)....the points were returned to my account immediately (no questions asked).
My current reservations for next year fall within the time period specified.

The current wording does not mention cancel, just "change fees".
Note also, it says reservations made by, with out mentioning travel date.
"Fee waivers: Amtrak is waiving all change fees for reservations made by March 31, 2021."
https://www.amtrak.com/planning-booking/policies/coronavirus.html?intcmp=wsp_banner_link_coronavirus

Last edited:
... Note also, it says reservations made by, with out mentioning travel date.
"Fee waivers: Amtrak is waiving all change fees for reservations made by March 31, 2021."

I specifically asked about that language earlier in the year, and was told that they really meant "for travel by..." That's not only quite misleading, it's off-putting, and I am not making any reservations right now because of it.

If I trusted Amtrak to mean what they say, I would be making reservations before March 31st for a year from February. But I don't trust them.

I specifically asked about that language earlier in the year, and was told that they really meant "for travel by..." That's not only quite misleading, it's off-putting, and I am not making any reservations right now because of it.

If I trusted Amtrak to mean what they say, I would be making reservations before March 31st for a year from February. But I don't trust them.

Maybe take a screen shot now, to use in demanding compliance if you're charged fees later for reservations made now?

Thanks everybody, deliberate ambiguity doesn't inspire confidence especially with the whole world in unknown territory creating more uncertaintity. Will probably hold off for a while to watch how things unfold, and return frequently to the Amtrak Ticket Refund link DA

Back