How Japan’s Shinkansen bullet trains changed the world of rail travel forever...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sixty years ago, early in the morning of October 1, 1964, a sleek blue and white train slid effortlessly across the urban sprawl of Tokyo, its elevated tracks carrying it south toward the city of Osaka and a place in the history books:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/japan-shinkansen-bullet-trains-60-years/index.html
What is remarkable is that 60 years back 125mph was state of the art "High Speed", which is a speed now achieved by even some Suburban Service, and the bar for HSR has gone up to above 160mph, with max speed at 200-220mph in commercial service.

What is remarkable is that 60 years back 125mph was state of the art "High Speed", which is a speed now achieved by even some Suburban Service, and the bar for HSR has gone up to above 160mph, with max speed at 200-220mph in commercial service.
I have to be honest and say that while I don't appreciate trains that travel at 30mph, except those narrow gauge marvels, I am also somewhat averse to the super high speed versions.
I do admire the technical advances, the convenience and efficiencies of the super fast trains, I just don't enjoy travelling in them so much as in those that proceed at a worthwhile speed, yet allow one to engage, even momentarily, with the passing scenery. I guess I am a fan of rail cruises, more than efficient high speed travel! :cool:

Back