"I like trains"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railiner

Engineer
I am curious...when you travel by rail, do you "display your colors"? What I mean by that, is do you wear apparel or carry scanner's, etc., that will readily show your affection for all things railway, so as to meet and socialize with like-minded individual's? This could be something very subtle like a small lapel pin, or full flaming foamer regalia.

In my younger days, I usually would wear a cap or t-shirt indicating my particular employer, or favored RR. This often led me into stimulating conversations with others like-minded, or just curious about it. Now I usually don't do anything to bring any attention to myself on board, but if I overhear other's "talking rail", I would sometimes join the conversation....

I have a scanner. I usually do not wear clothes with railroad insignias. I wear what is comfortable for me. Sometimes, I converse with passengers, and non-railfans become fascinated by my knowledge. I try to be low-key about this because most people are not interested. My insights become more relevant if there is a delay.
One series of interactions I had on the Texas Eagle was particularly memorable. I was in the through sleeper from Los Angeles, and this lady got on in San Antonio. We sat together in the diner, and I gave her information about railroad operations because she asked a series of "why" questions. Later on, I was in the lounge car, and she was sitting there working on getting drunk with another passenger. She told that passenger that I was in the sleeper, too. That passenger suddenly became interested in me. She leaned over with a low-cut blouse and told me she had never been in a sleeper. I played nerdy and dumb and gave out too much information about railroad operations, which bored her immensely. I also advised them to take advantage of the smoke stop in Dallas because there would be trackwork between Dallas and Marshall, delaying their next smoke break.

I was in my room with the door closed when we were pulling into Texarkana. I overheard this woman telling the SCA I knew more about the train than he did. He was much more vague in his responses because he knew something else could go wrong, and then the passengers would say, "But you said . . ."

This particular SCA provided excellent service. I apologized profusely to him the next morning.

If I’m traveling with my rail fan friend who is wearing a train T-shirt, then I will, too, to keep him company.

If I’m by myself, I travel incognito and don’t bring up trains at all in conversation. It’s amazing the amount of people who start explaining the basics of Amtrak to me and how everything works. I just smile sweetly and say “How interesting” or “My goodness, you know a lot about trains.” It makes them feel good and I get a secret chuckle out of actually knowing more than they do.

The one exception is if someone really does need help or advice and I can provide it. For example, I was on the Northeast Regional once sitting next to a businessman who was getting off at Metropark. He said he was afraid he’d miss his stop because he’d never taken the train before. I went into the train-tracking tool I like, told him when the train was now expected to arrive, and said I’d remind him when we were getting close. He was able to go back to working on his computer, and about four minutes before we stopped at Metropark, I suggested he start getting ready and told him we’d be there in four minutes. He made it off the train at the right stop, so in that case I was glad I used what I knew what I did to help.

I don't generally wear clothes or hats with railroad insignia at all, even to things like Winterail. My only sartorial nod to my railroad obsession is I wear a Seiko "railroad approved" watch.

I do carry a scanner onboard and usually have it with me (with earphones). That is sometimes a conversations starter.

A bit off topic, back in the 1980s I managed to get my employer to let me take Amtrak on a business trip to a convention in St. Louis. I left from LA on the SW Chief after work, so I was dressed in a suit. I pinned a nice enamel Santa Fe pin on my lapel, and everyone assumed I worked for Santa Fe.

Last edited:
About 15 years ago, I was assigned to attend a teaching conference at the Atlanta Hilton. Due to time constraints, we had to fly to Atlanta, but I was determined to railfan a bit and take the subway to the hotel. I used AU to ask questions and find an indoor walking route from the subway station to the Hilton.

There were about 30 teachers from Chicago on my flight. Three of them were colleagues from my school. One of my colleagues asked me how much a cab would cost to get to the hotel. I had researched this, too, and quoted the price. Her response was not suitable for this website. She asked me how I was getting to the hotel. I told her, "On the subway." "How much is that?" I told her the price (I don't remember the exact amount, but around 2 dollars), and she said forget the cab; I am taking the subway.

Two of her friends asked her how she was getting to the hotel. She said, "On the subway. I am not paying for a cab." Soon, about 15 teachers were standing with me on the Marta platform. We got downtown, and I proceeded through a shopping mall and a parking garage. There were many grumbles about me not knowing where to go. We took the elevator to the street level in the parking garage, and I saw the Hilton across the street. There were rain clouds in the sky, but no rain. Several women were concerned about their hair getting wet. I pointed at the hotel and was suddenly the hero of the day.

We beat the teachers who took taxis to the hotel. Those in my group were checked in and strolling to the bar or their rooms when the rest of the teachers arrived.

... Later on, I was in the lounge car, and she was sitting there working on getting drunk with another passenger. She told that passenger that I was in the sleeper, too. That passenger suddenly became interested in me. She leaned over with a low-cut blouse and told me she had never been in a sleeper. I played nerdy and dumb and gave out too much information about railroad operations, ...
Are your gentlemanly ways preventing you from telling us more about this story after you gave out too much information (which I assume accidentally included your sleeper room number) ? ;)

Are your gentlemanly ways preventing you from telling us more about this story after you gave out too much information (which I assume accidentally included your sleeper room number) ? ;)
Oh no. I did not want to be bothered by the potential for accusations of taking advantage of her while she was drunk. Plus I had a GF at the time.

I bought a very comfortable Amtrak jacket with capacious inside pockets (What has he got in his pocketss?) on my big trip in 2017. I don't think they are available anymore. I love it, and whenever I am somewhere that a jacket is needed, I wear it (not Texas, right now). It is similar to those North Face and Columbia jackets. It is waterproof, and roomy enough to wear a sweater, or even two, within for layers. I will have it with me on my October trip, which will be taking me to the northern reaches of Amtrak.
On one occasion, in Chicago Union Station, a man wearing a North Face jacket, apparently assuming that I was an Amtrak employee, aggressively accosted me and demanded information and help, and did not believe my protestations of innocence. I knew the answer to his question, but his attitude offended me. Even had I been an Amtrak employee, he should not have been so arrogantly demanding. When I could get a word through his tirade, I asked him if he had enjoyed climbing the North Face, and he stopped, stared at me, with a "what are you talking about?" look, and as I left him, I said, "You are telling me I shouldn't be wearing a jacket with 'Amtrak' on it if I don't work for them, so, I'd like to know where your climbing gear is."

In July we took the Eagle to Chicago (coach seats so much better than the new cars on Lincoln Service) & CL to DC in bedroom, and somehow had reserved Family Room on return. Both ways I wore a RR tie (mainly crossing signals on green background) and the SCA and food service guys loved it. We had the same crew returning and the SCA as he happened to pass by as we sat at a cafe table stopped and "tidied" by tie knot as a gesture of fondness for my "railroadiana" choice of tie, and the other staff observing loved it, as did we. I plan to wear either of my RR ties henceforth.

In July we took the Eagle to Chicago (coach seats so much better than the new cars on Lincoln Service) & CL to DC in bedroom, and somehow had reserved Family Room on return. Both ways I wore a RR tie (mainly crossing signals on green background) and the SCA and food service guys loved it. We had the same crew returning and the SCA as he happened to pass by as we sat at a cafe table stopped and "tidied" by tie knot as a gesture of fondness for my "railroadiana" choice of tie, and the other staff observing loved it, as did we. I plan to wear either of my RR ties henceforth.
You wear ties? I only wear ties when they pretty much make me.

I have started carrying my scanner with me, but do not wear any RR signs. Most people don't question the scanner, and some have asked what's it for (most usually not guessing railroad frequencies, but are always interested when I tell them it is for the trains). I enjoy eavesdropping on people, and if someone nearby is talking trains I'll join in. I've also joined in if I hear people talking about things that I can help them with (how pricing works, the sleeper experience, guaranteed connections, platforms, where to board, etc).

I am curious...when you travel by rail, do you "display your colors"?
Not really. Nor do I bring a scanner unless I'm anticipating significant operational problems.

I played nerdy and dumb and gave out too much information about railroad operations, which bored her immensely.
Smart man.

I enjoy eavesdropping on people, and if someone nearby is talking trains I'll join in.
This is me. I do not display my interest with distinctive clothing or accessories but if I hear people discussing certain topics my ears will perk up and I might stick around or join in.

Whenever we travel on Amtrak (and to identify myself as a railfan), when in public, I wear a ballcap with the Santa Fe Chief emblem. Although we never had the opportunity to ride on The Chief, we’ve traveled over its former route enough times so that we feel a kinship with those who did ride on it and still remember the experience with fondness.

Back