Illinois Zephyr and bicycles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulM

Engineer
Does anyone know why the IZ (trains 380 and 383) no longer accepts bikes, even though its twin the Carl Sandburg (381 and 382) does? It's one of those odd cases where the website's "trip details/Services" pop up say that it does carry bikes; but they are sold out no matter what date you try. I spoke to an AGR rep on the phone and, after a wait, she confirmed that it doesn't carry bikes.

Last May coming back from Florida I had to spend the night in Chicago waiting until the next morning to catch the Carl Sandburg since the IZ no longer carries bikes. So I know for a fact that the new Venture cars have bike racks.

What is odd is that for the 30 years I have lived in Illinois, the IZ carried bikes in Horizons and Amfleets, which don't have bike racks. You stashed the bike where ever the conductor said to. This is just another change that makes Amtrak less useful, for me at least. The IZ, which predates Amtrak, seems to have been designed for downstaters like me who want to take it to Chicago for the day (Cubs game perhaps) and return in the evening, or connect to or from another train in Chicago, or a flight to or from O'hare or Midway. The Carl Sandburg, which is relatively new and seems to be designed for Chicagoans who want to go downstate, doesn't work for any of that.

It is always said that amenities on state subsidized trains depends on whatever the state wants to pay for. I wonder why the Illinois Department of Transportation would suddenly stop supporting bikes on the IZ; or does it think it is paying for the phantom bikes on the IZ.

I was under the impression that ALL the trains under the Illinois Service heading were required to carry bikes as part of the agreement between Amtrak and the State of Illinois. (Amtrak accepts a lot of money from Illinois and taking bikes is one of the stipulations.)

I just did a systems check and discovered that the bike slots on the IZ are listed as SOLD OUT.
I also know, that his week in Iowa is the "RAGBRI" an annual bike ride across Iowa, which ends in Burlington. (Not far form the IZ route)
It could be that a flood of of bicycle tourists have have bought out all the bike slots on the IZ for the next few days.

I was under the impression that ALL the trains under the Illinois Service heading were required to carry bikes as part of the agreement between Amtrak and the State of Illinois. (Amtrak accepts a lot of money from Illinois and taking bikes is one of the stipulations.)

I just did a systems check and discovered that the bike slots on the IZ are listed as SOLD OUT.
I also know, that his week in Iowa is the "RAGBRI" an annual bike ride across Iowa, which ends in Burlington. (Not far form the IZ route)
It could be that a flood of of bicycle tourists have have bought out all the bike slots on the IZ for the next few days.
I guess the next step is to contact the Illinois Dept. of Transportation. No, the bike slots are not sold out. The AGR rep I spoke to checked with someone who said bikes are not accepted.

I used the contact page on the Illinois Dept. of Transportation to voice my concern. I hope Saddleshoes forgives me for paraphrasing a couple of sentences from his post.

I used the contact page on the Illinois Dept. of Transportation to voice my concern. I hope Saddleshoes forgives me for paraphrasing a couple of sentences from his post.
You absolutely have my OK!!!!

You might consider contacting Chris Koos, ([email protected]) the Mayor of Normal IL. He happens to be the most recently named member of the Amtrak board of directors.

Wow! I received an email from Illinois' Passenger Rail & Transit Communications Manager saying they have been in touch with Amtrak and they assure us that they have restored the standard capacity of 3 bikes per train for all future departures of trains 380-383.

I tried a dummy booking and sure enough it's true.

I only wished it had come in time for our tour on the Great Allegheny Passage where we drove 290 miles to the Naperville Metra station, parked, took the BNSF Metra to CUS, and #30 to Pittsburgh. Then repeated the process back from Cumberland, MD on #29. It was a lot of extra work; and besides I hate driving. For what it's worth, hauling 3 bikes on the Capitol Limited was a no brainer. The baggage person at CUS even offered to store our bikes while we waited in the metropolitan lounge. Previously, CUS personnel seemed to equate bikes with explosive devices.

I even looked into driving the much shorter distance to Fort Madison, IA and taking the SW Chief into Chicago. But all its bike space was sold out over a wide period. I had taken a bike to and from FMD and La Junta, CO last November.

Wow! I received an email from Illinois' Passenger Rail & Transit Communications Manager saying they have been in touch with Amtrak and they assure us that they have restored the standard capacity of 3 bikes per train for all future departures of trains 380-383.

I tried a dummy booking and sure enough it's true.

I only wished it had come in time for our tour on the Great Allegheny Passage where we drove 290 miles to the Naperville Metra station, parked, took the BNSF Metra to CUS, and #30 to Pittsburgh. Then repeated the process back from Cumberland, MD on #29. It was a lot of extra work; and besides I hate driving. For what it's worth, hauling 3 bikes on the Capitol Limited was a no brainer. The baggage person at CUS even offered to store our bikes while we waited in the metropolitan lounge. Previously, CUS personnel seemed to equate bikes with explosive devices.

I even looked into driving the much shorter distance to Fort Madison, IA and taking the SW Chief into Chicago. But all its bike space was sold out over a wide period. I had taken a bike to and from FMD and La Junta, CO last November.

Hey PaulM

Good work!
I am especially happy to hear that the Illinois Department of Transportation did the right thing. (In Illinois we have be taught to have low expectations from our state services.)

I am so fired up over this news that I am planning a bike/train trip to Galesburg on 380-383 to cycle around "Forgottonia" this fall.

Hey PaulM

Good work!
I am especially happy to hear that the Illinois Department of Transportation did the right thing. (In Illinois we have be taught to have low expectations from our state services.)

I am so fired up over this news that I am planning a bike/train trip to Galesburg on 380-383 to cycle around "Forgottonia" this fall.
I had to gaggle Forgottonia to find out what it is.

One example of how the name came about is that the fastest highway route from Quincy to Chicago is over 290 miles, according to gaggle. On the other hand the Quincy Amtrak station is near milepost 256, which I presume is measured from Chicago.

Back