Indy to Reno and Back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I just finished a round trip between Indy and Reno. Took the Hoosier to Chi-town, then the Zephyr to Reno. Zephyr back, then the Cardinal to Indy. We got the family bedroom on the way out and a roomette on the return trip.

I'm a retired Army 1SG who spent 9 years (3 tours) in Germany. My wife and I have traveled quite a bit on European rail systems, but she had never been on an Amtrak, and my last US train trip was in the 2nd grade (from Ft. Worth to Cleburn).

Overall the trip was really, really good. The ability to relax and see the sights was a new experience for me; I usually do most of the driving. Not much to see across the plains, but the Rockies and the desert between Salt Lake City and Reno was fantastic!! Our Porters (Steve and Natalie) were very attentive and Natalie even brought one of our meals to us!!

We met some very interesting people in the club car and for dinner. Food was really good, much better than I expected. Wait staff was a little stiff; not quite "cold" but sorta "mechanical." I was surprised that some passengers were uncomfortable with the community seating arrangements in the dining car, but there wasn't any real resistance.

There were, however, some "downsides" that I will be better prepared for next time (and there WILL be a next time).

First, if you ever wondered what a company looks like on "welfare," Amtrak is a good example. It boggles the mind to think that we're in the electronic age and they can't put an internet connection on at least the club car. I think I was lucky that the electrical outlet in the rooms had enough strength to handle my laptop. Does anyone at Amtrak even TRY to make a profit? Or are they so adicted to the government dole that they don't really care? More on that later. Luckily I had a phone-card for my laptop.

I actually got a good night's sleep on the way out. I couldn't get used to the ride on the way back. The sleeping orientation changed, as well as the level of our room (lower out, upper back). Maybe that had something to do with it. But I think the suspension system on our car on the way back had some real problems; like missing shock absorbers. Every other bump it sounded like the suspension was bottoming out. Also, if I sat in the club car the swaying was much less pronounced than the sleeper. My wife took the top bunk (bless her heart) and has bruises on her arms from the catch-net. Next time I'll use dramamine or Tylenol PM, and might even ask to change rooms.

So, if I were CEO of Amtrak, what would I do? I honestly wouldn't know where to start. The ridership on long-haul trips appear to be retired or semi-retired folks who enjoy the slower pace. Other markets might include business travelers (if you give them an internet connection), land-based cruises (throw in an exercise area and maybe even a spa/massage service). But, you've GOT to improve the ride. Maybe something can be done to retrofit some real technology into the suspension...I mean hydraulic shocks and coil springs? C'mon, how about some air-ride with magnetic-rheological damping and active ride control.

I won't even get into what it would take for a real high-speed train system. We're talking new rail corridors that avoid crossings and freight traffic. Maybe there's a way to do some rail improvements. Without some major work, there's NO way a train is going to get through Ruby Canyon at anything better than a crawl...

Barack Obama has made a lot of promisses. Getting Amtrak back on it's feet may be a bit more than he can handle.

Anyway, thought I'd vent a bit to a group who obviously have an interest in listening, discussing, and debating. And, no, I haven't read many posts; just enough to know I'm in the right place. So, if I am thrashing long worn out issues, forgive me.

Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! :)

The big problem is that past administrations and Congresses have tried to provide Amtrak for much of the past many years with too little money but wanting it to do much more with that little money. (Look at the past where they attempted $-0- budgets and "self sufficiency"!) And they want a "National" rail system. (Try to go from Nashville to Phoenix or Louisville to Rapid City by an all rail route. :rolleyes: )

As far as technology, when the cars were bought 20-30 years ago, not everyone had cell phones, laptops, DVD players, etc..., so it was not necessary to have so much - even more than 2 power outlets per car! As cars get refurbished, coaches are getting power outlets at every seat. But there are still a few that don't! :eek: (Yes, and I've been in some of them!)

Glad to hear that there will be a "next time"! Have you signed up for Amtrak Guest Rewards? :huh: If not, you should! ;)

Welcome! :)
The big problem is that past administrations and Congresses have tried to provide Amtrak for much of the past many years with too little money but wanting it to do much more with that little money. (Look at the past where they attempted $-0- budgets and "self sufficiency"!) And they want a "National" rail system. (Try to go from Nashville to Phoenix or Louisville to Rapid City by an all rail route. :rolleyes: )

As far as technology, when the cars were bought 20-30 years ago, not everyone had cell phones, laptops, DVD players, etc..., so it was not necessary to have so much - even more than 2 power outlets per car! As cars get refurbished, coaches are getting power outlets at every seat. But there are still a few that don't! :eek: (Yes, and I've been in some of them!)

Glad to hear that there will be a "next time"! Have you signed up for Amtrak Guest Rewards? :huh: If not, you should! ;)
The train cars may be 20-30 years ago but I saw some data about how old airlines' fleets of 727's and MD 80's were. Granted, the transition to 737's and other planes is accelerated, but you would not have known the age of the planes from their cosmetic appearance. Airlines, which have had their own problems financially, update the avionics and passenger amenities with more regularity than Amtrak does its fleet. Of course, funding sources differ.

The train cars may be 20-30 years ago but I saw some data about how old airlines' fleets of 727's and MD 80's were. Granted, the transition to 737's and other planes is accelerated, but you would not have known the age of the planes from their cosmetic appearance. Airlines, which have had their own problems financially, update the avionics and passenger amenities with more regularity than Amtrak does its fleet. Of course, funding sources differ.
Yes, thats true. But would you rather fly cross country in a Q-400 (which may be a few years old) or a 747 (which may be 35 years old) or a DC-3 (which is older)? :huh: Also look at the financial shape of many airlines.

But they don't receive Government support? :huh: Do you really think you could fly coast to coast for $200-$300 if airlines had to pay for the airports and ATC by themselves? :huh: :rolleyes:

...But they don't receive Government support? Do you really think you could fly coast to coast for $200-$300 if airlines had to pay for the airports and ATC by themselves?
Yes, I do. The ticket taxes and fees that are included in that $200-$300 pay for the airports and most of the ATC. There is about a $2 billion general tax subsidy toward ATC ops. That $2 billion equates to about $3 per passenger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there, Terry, and Welcome. Before this thread goes off into the abyss of political pootie-head calling (which is actually relavent, because Amtrak is absolutely political), I'd like to thank you for making some of your observations.

I have been in the top bunk of a Superliner (the double decker long distance train equipment that serves primarily the West of DC), and you're right - it's not exactly 'swaying you to sleep'. the lower bunk in the upper level rooms are a bit better, but nothing compared to the humming of downstairs. I remember thinking on every switch or turnout we hit at 79 MPH was for sure the last and that I was going to be on my side. Just reminding myself that Amtrak has more problems with cars/trucks/people at grade crossings and on their right of way than just a random derailing is comforting, but only just a wee bit.

I'm sure I don't have to explain the physics why - the mass moment of inertia gets exponentially higher the furthur you get from the bogies. So in addition to feeling every bump, you get the additional perception of swaying that is much more pronounced than on the lower levels.

I would say that welded track and concrete ties help - and they do - but I've spent some time on jointed track in New Mexico that to me seemed much smoother. It's not the track itself that gives the ride imperfections, but rather every time there is a separation, like a turn out or diamond, etc.

Anyway, it's a ride like no other. It's an experience that is uniquely American - for better OR for worse. I'm satisfied that you had an OK crew. There are bad, mediocre, and really good crews. I get discouraged by those whose first ride is with a bad crew. Amtrak really needs to think about this.

Thanks for the report. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back