Lessons from UK Ladbroke Grove crash 25 years on, plus Odisha crash

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came across this BBC report on a UK train crash, which has a separate video embedded about the Odisha Indian train crash, and rail safety worldwide. (The A.I. content in the video is a bit tedious, but overall the video is informative.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cje3kd8y1j0o
I wonder, how extensive is the adoption of TPWS in the UK? I was under the impression that there are still lines that only have AWS, although they may be ones with little traffic or freight only. (TPWS is an ATC type system that will stop a train if it passes a red signal, whereas the older AWS only provides a warning that the driver must acknowledge else the brakes are applied.)

When I worked at B.R. over 40 years ago, AWS was the common safety standard. I have no information about more modern systems, although the video mentions a new "digital" system due in 2025. I wonder if that is going to be similar to that new Indian system called Armour?
I understand that the London Underground has a mechanical system where a lever will rise when the signal is red, and "catch" a stopcock on the train passing a red signal, and thus apply brakes automatically.
It seems that both the major accidents mentioned were caused by incorrect track and signaling repairs and maintenance as primary cause?

Back