Meeting up with my sister a station after she boards -- how do I find her car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mybabyblessings

My sister and I are planning a long distance trip to FL. She will board in Rochester, NY with the Empire Service, and I will board at the next station in Syracuse. We obviously want to travel together -- so since seating is open, how will I find which car she is on when I board in Syracuse?

Thanks so much for your help!

Your sister could text you to tell you in which car she is seated. Alternatively, you both could upgrade to business class.
Thank you. Are the car numbers posted somewhere inside the car? Or will my sister have to ask the attendant if she doesn't notice from the outside when she herself is boarding? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions -- we've never traveled by train and would hate to travel the first 6 hour leg of our journey on separate cars because we missed each other! ;-) An upgrade to business class would be lovely, but not in our budget...

Thank you. Are the car numbers posted somewhere inside the car? Or will my sister have to ask the attendant if she doesn't notice from the outside when she herself is boarding? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions -- we've never traveled by train and would hate to travel the first 6 hour leg of our journey on separate cars because we missed each other! ;-) An upgrade to business class would be lovely, but not in our budget...
To my knowledge, the car numbers should be posted on the inside (vestibules I believe) and outside of the train cars. Also, your sister could identify the car with regard to its location (i.e. second car after engine; second to last car in train). It is possible that you may not be given a choice into which car you will board and you may have to walk either forward or back to find your sister's car. Hopefully, she will be able to speak to the conductor and "save" a seat for you near her.

I do not regularly ride the Empire Service, so maybe someone with more experience will offer better advice. Good luck.

It is possible that you may not be given a choice into which car you will board and you may have to walk either forward or back to find your sister's car.
I think this is a fine plan. Just have your sister tell you roughly where she is on the train (front, middle, back) and then where her seat is in the car she's in, and walk through until you find her. Empire Service trains aren't too long IIRC, and if you narrow it down to front/middle/back it shouldn't take too long to find her.

To my knowledge, the car numbers should be posted on the inside (vestibules I believe) and outside of the train cars. Also, your sister could identify the car with regard to its location (i.e. second car after engine; second to last car in train). It is possible that you may not be given a choice into which car you will board and you may have to walk either forward or back to find your sister's car. Hopefully, she will be able to speak to the conductor and "save" a seat for you near her.

I do not regularly ride the Empire Service, so maybe someone with more experience will offer better advice. Good luck.
Thank you to you both, @pennyk and @Cal. As it is our first time, I assumed once you entered a car at boarding, you couldn't walk through to another and had to find a seat in that car! So, thank you!! I can't imagine the Empire will be a very crowded train (between those 2 stops), so now I have much more confidence in finding her! Thank you again for your help!

The amount of luggage your carrying would impact your ability to wonder around looking for her.

Normally the crews will put the NYC passenger in towards the front. Keep the shorts next to the cafe car. The first coach is normally closed into Albany. The other coaches can get quite crowded.

Have your sister text you where she is would be best, but in Syracuse you will be told to head forward to find a seat for NYC. So it’s just finding her after you turn right upon entering.

Between Utica and NYC the river will be on your right side, small towns on your left.

A little extra detail the cafe car is the last one with 4-5 coaches forward to the engine. The conductor will open two doors one in front of the cafe car, and the other in the 2nd to last car. They may scan your ticket at the platform or direct you to turn right (as a NYC passenger) towards the front of the train. It can get quite crowded around the opening doors, but if your sister can just stand up and flag you as your walking in. It really shouldn’t be an issue.

Finding two seats together? Ask nicely to your fellow passengers, someone will be rude, but most will be happy to shift for you.

Enjoy your trip.

The amount of luggage your carrying would impact your ability to wonder around looking for her.

Normally the crews will put the NYC passenger in towards the front. Keep the shorts next to the cafe car. The first coach is normally closed into Albany. The other coaches can get quite crowded.

Have your sister text you where she is would be best, but in Syracuse you will be told to head forward to find a seat for NYC. So it’s just finding her after you turn right upon entering.

Between Utica and NYC the river will be on your right side, small towns on your left.

A little extra detail the cafe car is the last one with 4-5 coaches forward to the engine. The conductor will open two doors one in front of the cafe car, and the other in the 2nd to last car. They may scan your ticket at the platform or direct you to turn right (as a NYC passenger) towards the front of the train. It can get quite crowded around the opening doors, but if your sister can just stand up and flag you as your walking in. It really shouldn’t be an issue.

Finding two seats together? Ask nicely to your fellow passengers, someone will be rude, but most will be happy to shift for you.

Enjoy your trip.
@Just-Thinking-51 - thank you for sharing those great tips!! They are very helpful! 👍🏻

If a trainman is directing her to a specific car or seat, she should mention that the rest of her party is joining her at Syracuse. Most likely, he or she will then treat her as a party of two and hold the seat for you. While there are some bad apples, most Amtrak employees do their best to satisfy customers.

If a trainman is directing her to a specific car or seat, she should mention that the rest of her party is joining her at Syracuse. Most likely, he or she will then treat her as a party of two and hold the seat for you. While there are some bad apples, most Amtrak employees do their best to satisfy customers.
Yeah but on the Empire Service trains it’s find your own seats. Yes you can ask for help with a group. But normally it’s just you asking your fellow passengers if they can shift so you can have two seats together. I seen people/have myself volunteered if and when I notice a couple, but I am not normally paying attention.

Only Conductors on the Empire Service Trains, no OBS except LSA in the Cafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back