NE trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
Taking the Adirondack sounds great. How many AGR points would it be if we go LCH/NOL, NOL/CHI, CHI/NYP (on the Cardinal),NYP/MTR stay 2 nights, MTR/SDY, SDY/CHI (on the Lakeshore), CHI/NOL, NOL/LCH. I know we have to spend the nights in NOL. Staying in NYC is okay, too. Will this all work? How many days and how many points will we need? Thank you very much.

Stopovers are NOT allowed on an AGR award ticket! That's why I recommended going via CHI.

If you do go via NYP, it would be 20K in a roomette LCH-NYP and then 4K more NYP-MTR. If you go via CHI, the whole trip LCH-MTR would be 20K. And returning MTR-LCH as you posted is 20K.

Thank you for your help. I hope that I am not being a bother, but I want to understand. I guess I could call AGR, but I've found that I don't always get consistent answers from different agents. Maybe, I don't make myself clear. I don't especially want to spend the night in NOL or New York city, but I don't think that I have much choice about NOL and don't mind NYC, if I have to. I would like to ride different trains (at least part of the way) going and coming home. It would be worth some extra points to get to ride the Cardinal, or we could pay coach some for the the two of us. Thank you for your expertise and your time.

You're not a bother at all. That was and is the purpose of AU - to help other travelers of Amtrak.

And sometimes if you call and speak to 10 agents, you may get 11 different answers! I'm not saying the members of AU are perfect, or Amtrak agents don't know anything, but many times we know more about Amtrak than the Amtrak agents themselves!
ohmy.gif

I was able to get ORL -NYP - MTR on a one zone AGR trip and was pleasantly surprised. I spent one night in NY before taking the Adirondack to Montreal. I just did the trip this week and am in Halifax right now staying at a hotel that jis recommended. (Thanks jis- I can see the water from my hotel room) :)

Back