New member with questions re very first LD Amtrak trip in September

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone!
I'm the new guy here! I'm a product designer by day and a POV travel vlogger by passion. I've always been obsessed with all things transportation, especially cars and trains. I've zoomed around Japan on Bullet trains and special sightseeing trains, but I've never had the chance to embark on a long-distance adventure with Amtrak until now!

My wife and I are gearing up for our very first epic rail journey this September, and we can't wait! Here's our travel plan. BTW, we are living in Jersey City.

1. LAX to EMY on the 14 Coast Starlight in Coach
  2. EMY to CHI on the 6 California Zephyr in Bedroom with sky-high price :eek:
  3. CHI to NWK on the 50 Cardinal in Roomette
So happy to be here and can't wait to share stories and learn tips and knowledge with all of you! 🚆✨

Jay

Attachments

• LAVIEW in JP.png
    LAVIEW in JP.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
You chose the correct direction to take the Cardinal! If you just get up and start watching first thing in the morning you can see the whole New River Gorge. The river will be on your left at first, then on your right (if I recall correctly, it's been years). If your roomette is on the side away from the river, you may be able stand in the hallway by the bedrooms to see out the other side. For even-numbered roomettes, this doesn't work, though, and you will have to go to the cafe car to see the view out both sides. That's well worth the price of beverage!

Welcome! I am not completely new to Amtrak but I haven't done a complete LD route yet. I will be doing a loop this summer and will also be taking the eastbound Cal Zephyr as part of that loop. I have a Roomette that I got at an acceptable price. (Yes, Bedrooms on that route are priced really high right now, but there are very few Bedrooms and it's a long route, so it's a seller's market at the moment.) I am sure all of us are going to have great experiences. :)

You chose the correct direction to take the Cardinal! If you just get up and start watching first thing in the morning you can see the whole New River Gorge. The river will be on your left at first, then on your right (if I recall correctly, it's been years). If your roomette is on the side away from the river, you may be able stand in the hallway by the bedrooms to see out the other side. For even-numbered roomettes, this doesn't work, though, and you will have to go to the cafe car to see the view out both sides. That's well worth the price of beverage!
Thanks for sharing! Just checked the schedule and saw that the train arrives in Charleston at 8:31 am, right before we enter the New River Gorge. I'll set an alarm for that! Also, Im wondering if all the sleepers on the Cardinal have been replaced by Viewliner 2 cars?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 11.31.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 11.31.48 PM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Also, Im wondering if all the sleepers on the Cardinal have been replaced by Viewliner 2 cars?
Lately, it's been either 2 VL-1 sleepers, or 1 VL-1 sleeper and a VL-2 bag/dorm. If they're running a bag/dorm, there are usually a few Roomettes available for sale.

Welcome! I am not completely new to Amtrak but I haven't done a complete LD route yet. I will be doing a loop this summer and will also be taking the eastbound Cal Zephyr as part of that loop. I have a Roomette that I got at an acceptable price. (Yes, Bedrooms on that route are priced really high right now, but there are very few Bedrooms and it's a long route, so it's a seller's market at the moment.) I am sure all of us are going to have great experiences. :)
Ha! I can't wait to hear your travel stories. It seems like most people prefer the westbound route for the better scenic views. There are fewer eastbound travel vlogs on YouTube for me to compare, so I decided to try it. I'll save the westbound route for the Sunset Limited later.;)

Lately, it's been either 2 VL-1 sleepers, or 1 VL-1 sleeper and a VL-2 bag/dorm. If they're running a bag/dorm, there are usually a few Roomettes available for sale.
Thanks! Is it possible to request a Viewliner 2 Roomette at the ticket center before boarding, or would it be better to call Amtrak customer service early to secure it?

Thanks! Is it possible to request a Viewliner 2 Roomette at the ticket center before boarding, or would it be better to call Amtrak customer service early to secure it?
It's best to make the reservation by phone (rather than online) and ask the agent for a specific car. The car number (technically "line number") and room are assigned when you make your reservation. You can usually call and ask to change them later if what you want is still available, but some agents are reluctant or will try to charge you the difference to the current fare.

That being said, you can't ask specifically for a VL-1 or VL-2. If you know which car is more likely to be a VL-2, you can request that car number when you call for your resercation. I don't know what line numbers are used on the Cardinal (line numbers vary between routes.) Hopefully someone who has traveled in the Card bag/dorm will come along and share that info.

BTW, if you haven't yet signed up for Amtrak Guest Rewards, you should do so pronto. AGR has a separate phone number with agents who are generally better at what they do than some of those at 1-800-USA-RAIL. You can call that number for all your reservations and changes, not just points travel.

Ha! I can't wait to hear your travel stories. It seems like most people prefer the westbound route for the better scenic views. There are fewer eastbound travel vlogs on YouTube for me to compare, so I decided to try it. I'll save the westbound route for the Sunset Limited later.;)
It worked better for me to do it eastbound on this trip...I'm combining a train trip vacation with a visit to my sister in upstate NY. I figured it would make more sense to take the "scenic route" on the way to seeing her and the more direct route on the way back. The way out is three trains (northern portion of Coast Starlight, then Zephyr, then Lake Shore Limited) with more potential for missed connections, etc. I think I'll have more energy for dealing with all that if I am not also stressing about getting back in time for my next gig (or in time to get enough sleep before it.) The way back is LSL --> Empire Builder. Fewer train stations/layovers to navigate on the return trip, when I'm sure I'll be a bit more tired than on the way there.

My trip is before yours, so you'll definitely hear what my experience was like before you guys go! I just bid on a Bedroom for the Zephyr portion. As a solo traveler the Roomette is totally fine for me, but for such a long trip I cannot deny the appeal of the en suite :) (Well, it appeals to me, but only on a "poor bid" kind of level, lol.)

BTW, I did the Coast Starlight San Jose to Oxnard (and back) in early 1999. It was beautiful. I know the train doesn't have as many fancy bells and whistles as it did back then, but I think that Southern portion of the CS route will be a fabulous way to start your trip!

Reservations agents rather famously do not know much about conditions in the field. I doubt they'll know, unless Amtrak blocks certain roomettes on Viewliner IIs as opposed to Viewliner Is, but even if Amtrak does, the agents then have to recognize the pattern of the entire car's inventory as a I or a II. Aside from a few railfan-ish agents, I doubt many know or care. However, I don't think Amtrak even does that, to me it seems like they block sales to reflect the more restrictive layout (the Viewliner IIs because of the lack of a linen closet and the attendant's room being replaced by common restrooms), because they swap I's and II's around fairly casually. The last time I rode the Lake Shore, my car 4911 was normally assigned a Viewliner I, but on my trip it was replaced at the last minute by a Viewliner II. If roomettes hadn't already been blocked to reflect the Viewliner II layout, somebody would have been bounced out of their room.

Agents will know about the car line, say 4911, but will likely have no idea if 4911 is slated to be a Viewliner I or II.

The only way to know is which car lines are running Viewliner IIs in advance, through means such as asking here, and request that car line number when making a reservation.

It's best to make the reservation by phone (rather than online) and ask the agent for a specific car. The car number (technically "line number") and room are assigned when you make your reservation. You can usually call and ask to change them later if what you want is still available, but some agents are reluctant or will try to charge you the difference to the current fare.

That being said, you can't ask specifically for a VL-1 or VL-2. If you know which car is more likely to be a VL-2, you can request that car number when you call for your resercation. I don't know what line numbers are used on the Cardinal (line numbers vary between routes.) Hopefully someone who has traveled in the Card bag/dorm will come along and share that info.

BTW, if you haven't yet signed up for Amtrak Guest Rewards, you should do so pronto. AGR has a separate phone number with agents who are generally better at what they do than some of those at 1-800-USA-RAIL. You can call that number for all your reservations and changes, not just points travel.
I've heard that Amtrak's VL-2 sleepers have 11 roomettes, one fewer than the VL-1 sleepers, but not sure about VL-2 bag/dorm. I'm wondering if I can ask how many roomettes are in the car to determine if it's a VL-1 or 2 when I call. I've joined the AGR and applied for the credit card for 3K reward points:D. I'll give them a call once it's delivered.

It worked better for me to do it eastbound on this trip...I'm combining a train trip vacation with a visit to my sister in upstate NY. I figured it would make more sense to take the "scenic route" on the way to seeing her and the more direct route on the way back. The way out is three trains (northern portion of Coast Starlight, then Zephyr, then Lake Shore Limited) with more potential for missed connections, etc. I think I'll have more energy for dealing with all that if I am not also stressing about getting back in time for my next gig (or in time to get enough sleep before it.) The way back is LSL --> Empire Builder. Fewer train stations/layovers to navigate on the return trip, when I'm sure I'll be a bit more tired than on the way there.

My trip is before yours, so you'll definitely hear what my experience was like before you guys go! I just bid on a Bedroom for the Zephyr portion. As a solo traveler the Roomette is totally fine for me, but for such a long trip I cannot deny the appeal of the en suite :) (Well, it appeals to me, but only on a "poor bid" kind of level, lol.)

BTW, I did the Coast Starlight San Jose to Oxnard (and back) in early 1999. It was beautiful. I know the train doesn't have as many fancy bells and whistles as it did back then, but I think that Southern portion of the CS route will be a fabulous way to start your trip!
We hope for nice weather to enjoy the sea views along the southern part of the CS route. We'll be sure to pack some food and drinks since we'll be in coach for at least 11 hours. (The roomette costs $300 more and no overnight is needed) By the way, how long can we stay in the sightseeing lounge?

I'm also considering taking the LSL from Chicago to New York, which is 7 hours shorter. However, traveling eastbound on the Cardinal offers the chance to see the New River Gorge during the daytime. Plus, the Cardinal includes 2 more meals than the LSL for the same price, which is pretty appealing🤣! We'll take the westbound LSL to Chicago next time! Please let me know which cars are VL-2 on the Lake Shore Limited. Thx!!!

I've heard that Amtrak's VL-2 sleepers have 11 roomettes, one fewer than the VL-1 sleepers, but not sure about VL-2 bag/dorm. I'm wondering if I can ask how many roomettes are in the car to determine if it's a VL-1 or 2 when I call. I've joined the AGR and applied for the credit card for 3K reward points:D. I'll give them a call once it's delivered.
The attendant's dedicated room was replaced by two restrooms in the V IIs. Roomettes 1 through 12 are present in both. But in the V IIs, the attendant needs one of them.

I think it is likely they just blocked a roomette in all Viewliners, as I said above, so they can be swapped for each other as equipment needs dictate without worrying about car subtype and pushing out/downgrading passengers if a V II replaces a V I.

In short, I think all the agent will see is a car line with 11 revenue roomettes, be it a V I or a V II is assigned to that car line on a given date. They won't know.

I know when the V IIs were first being rolled out there was some discussion about assigning them to specific trains. They decided not to go that direction around the time they also decided they were not going to retrofit the V Is to be like the V IIs. They appear to treat the Viewliner sleepers as one fleet.

It appears that the Card is running with at least 1 VL-1 sleeper, and the 2nd "sleeper" is either another VL-1 sleeper or a VL-2 bag/dorm. So the question is not the difference between a VL-1 sleeper and a VL-2 sleeper, but between a VL-1 sleeper and a bag/dorm (all bag/dorms are VL-2).

The bag/dorm has only 9 Roomettes, and people have said that 3 of them are reserved for crew, leaving a maximum of 6 for public sale. I don't know whether the agents have the ability to identify that a car is a bag/dorm.

But here's good news: the consensus is that, if there is a bag-dorm, it has a line number ending in "09", so 5009 or 5109. The first VL-1 sleeper has a line number ending in "00". I don't know whether a 2nd VL-1 sleeper in place of the bag/dorm would still end in "09", or something else (most likely "01" or "10".)

ETA: corrected VL-1 sleeper line number to end in "00".

Last edited:
It appears that the Card is running with at least 1 VL-1 sleeper, and the 2nd "sleeper" is either another VL-1 sleeper or a VL-2 bag/dorm. So the question is not the difference between a VL-1 sleeper and a VL-2 sleeper, but between a VL-1 sleeper and a bag/dorm (all bag/dorms are VL-2).

The bag/dorm has only 9 Roomettes, and people have said that 3 of them are reserved for crew, leaving a maximum of 6 for public sale. I don't know whether the agents have the ability to identify that a car is a bag/dorm.
They could infer it from the the fact that there are no bedrooms and only 6 revenue roomettes for that car line. Most wouldn't be aware, though.

To be sure, it is better to know the bag-dorm"s car line number and ask for it rather than depend on the agent's knowing the car type.

The car line numbers for each each train's transdorm or bag-dorm are pretty set, the problem is knowing them. Transdorms on the western trains run in the 40 car line, except for the Builder where it is the 32 car line. Now the issue is sussing out the same info for bag-dorms in the east. Even if there is not a general pattern like the 40 car line for most western trains, the bag-dorm's car line number will be pretty set for each train.

Which trains use a bag-dorm? I know the Lake Shore doesn't. I don't think the Silvers do either, but am not sure. That leaves the Cardinal and the Crescent. Shouldn't take too much to get some field reports on the car line numbers for those two over time.

Last edited:
I was just on the Cardinal 50 a little over a week ago, thought I could add a data point:

My consist had one VL-1 sleeper (car 5000) and one VL-2 bag/dorm. Don't remember the VL-2's car number, but sounds like 5009 was probably it.

Also just booked a LSL 49 last week and called 1-800-USA-RAIL to see if my car (4911) would have 11 or 12 roomettes. Phone agent didn't know VL-1 vs VL-2 differences, but was more than happy to check for me the number of roomettes (it had 11). They did remind me that equipment can change at any time, so nothing's certain until you board.

Also just booked a LSL 49 last week and called 1-800-USA-RAIL to see if my car (4911) would have 11 or 12 roomettes. Phone agent didn't know VL-1 vs VL-2 differences, but was more than happy to check for me the number of roomettes (it had 11). They did remind me that equipment can change at any time, so nothing's certain until you board.
All reports are both the 4811/4911 and 4812/4912 New York sleepers are assigned Viewliner Is at present. That the agent reported that the 4911 car line had 11 revenue roomettes tends to confirm that one roomette is blocked from revenue sale for both Viewliner Is and IIs and that they are a single car type as far as the reservations system is concerned.

Last edited:

But here's good news: the consensus is that, if there is a bag-dorm, it has a line number ending in "09", so 5009 or 5109. The first VL-1 sleeper has a line number ending in "10". I don't know whether a 2nd VL-1 sleeper in place of the bag/dorm would still end in "09", or something else (most likely "11" or "20".)
thx for sharing! Aline number ending in "09". Super helpful👍

I was just on the Cardinal 50 a little over a week ago, thought I could add a data point:

My consist had one VL-1 sleeper (car 5000) and one VL-2 bag/dorm. Don't remember the VL-2's car number, but sounds like 5009 was probably it.

Thx! I will mention the car line 5009 on the call! Btw, how's the VL-2 roomette on Bag/Dorm :)?

All reports are both the 4811/4911 and 4812/4912 New York sleepers are assigned Viewliner Is at present. That the agent reported that the 4911 car line had 11 revenue roomettes tends to confirm that one roomette is blocked from revenue sale for both Viewliner Is and IIs and that they are a single car type as far as the reservations system is concerned.
A real shame, I was hoping to have both VL-1 and VL-2 experiences in the same year 😭. Makes me wonder again how hard it'd be for Amtrak IT to show what equipment you're scheduled to be on. Even if they change last-minute, I'd like to know (my airline apps show what aircraft).

Thx! I will mention the car line 5009 on the call! Btw, how's the VL-2 roomette on Bag/Dorm :)?
I thought it looked much nicer than the VL-1 😅. The upholstery refurb can't come soon enough. I wasn't a huge fan of going to the bathroom next to where I sleep, but I can see why some people would prefer the convenience. My VL-1 shower door also wouldn't stay shut (maybe bring duct tape). I tried to go to VL-2 to shower but my attendant encouraged me to just use the 1 and I didn't insist.

My VL-1 shower door also wouldn't stay shut (maybe bring duct tape).
Gaffers tape doesn't leave a sticky residue and is easy to tear with no scissors or knife. You can get it on Amazon and at some photo supply stores.

Though it might not be effective at taping a shower door shut from the inside. Seems like the force of the shower door trying to spring open would be similar to someone trying to pull the tape up.

A real shame, I was hoping to have both VL-1 and VL-2 experiences in the same year 😭. Makes me wonder again how hard it'd be for Amtrak IT to show what equipment you're scheduled to be on. Even if they change last-minute, I'd like to know (my airline apps show what aircraft).
Most passengers do not care about equipment type and Amtrak IT has many more urgent problems, like maintaining connections. The underlying core system, ARROW, is a legacy system acquired in the late 1970s, a highly modified one-off of AA's Sabre iteration of the time. It is a brittle antique plus most people with deep knowledge of it are dead or retired.

Also, only having one car type makes equipment redeployment easier and cheaper because you don't have to mess around with the reservations system inventory, too.

Last edited:
Most passengers do not care about equipment type and Amtrak IT has many more urgent problems, like maintaining connections. The underlying core system, ARROW, is a legacy system acquired in the late 1970s, a highly modified one-off of AA's Sabre iteration of the time. It is a brittle antique plus most people with deep knowledge of it are dead or retired.

Also, only having one car type makes equipment redeployment easier and cheaper because you don't have to mess around with the reservations system inventory, too.
The ARROW sounds a bit intense to me. Could you explain it a bit more?;)

The ARROW sounds a bit intense to me. Could you explain it a bit more?;)
It is their core reservations system. It is at least two layers down from the website UI and the app, but it is where all the train information and reservations ultimately reside. Agents can still access it directly on its native greenscreen interface if they need to.

Last edited:
They could infer it from the the fact that there are no bedrooms and only 6 revenue roomettes for that car line. Most wouldn't be aware, though.

To be sure, it is better to know the bag-dorm"s car line number and ask for it rather than depend on the agent's knowing the car type.

The car line numbers for each each train's transdorm or bag-dorm are pretty set, the problem is knowing them. Transdorms on the western trains run in the 40 car line, except for the Builder where it is the 32 car line. Now the issue is sussing out the same info for bag-dorms in the east. Even if there is not a general pattern like the 40 car line for most western trains, the bag-dorm's car line number will be pretty set for each train.

Which trains use a bag-dorm? I know the Lake Shore doesn't. I don't think the Silvers do either, but am not sure. That leaves the Cardinal and the Crescent. Shouldn't take too much to get some field reports on the car line numbers for those two over time.
Is transdorm = Transition sleeper on both VL-1 and VL-2 ?
Bagdorm is only on VL-2?

Back