Northeast Regional questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First time Amtrak rider in September when I'll be riding the Northeast Regional several times on a long vacation through the Northeast, and I have some questions I've had difficulty finding answers to elsewhere.

I'll be on the following routes for reference:

• WAS -> PHL
  • PHL -> ACY (on NJ Transit)
  • ACY -> PHL -> NYP
  • NYP -> BOS

1. Since it's a month-long trip, I was planning on taking my 2 largest bags. The Northeast Regional does not offer checked baggage, so everything has to be carry on. I understand that a computer backpack won't count against the limit, but my question is how strict are the size limits. My largest bag is 29x19x12 with the wheels on, and the limit is listed as 28x22x14. Will this end up being a problem at WAS, PHL or NYP? Or should I plan on fitting everything into a smaller bag.
  2. My trip to Atlantic City is only for the night, so I'd prefer to take everything in a smaller duffle bag. PHL offers baggage storage. Does anyone have details on the costs or maximum storage length?
  3. I know Atlantic City has buses that pick up at hotels 30 minutes prior to the train departure time, but outside of that station, what are good recommendations on how early before a train one should arrive?

Thanks for any help!

Your bag will be fine. If you can't handle them by yourself ask for a Red Cap in DC and at PHL.

Buy your ticket for the trip to AC at a TVM in Philly and AC. The fare is $10 one way.

As far as getting your bags to New York and having them spend the night in Philly, I can suggest checking them to NYP. Just show your ticket at the baggage counter. Their shouldn't be a problem. Unless your bags are over 50 lbs. They will put your bags on a train to NYP where you can pick them up.

The train station at AC is right at the convention center. Just follow the masses and that will take you to the Jitneys.

As for coming back from AC plan for about an hour to hour and a half layover in Philly. AC trains typically run on-time, I've never had an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back