Our second, etc. Part 2 Silver Meteor, Silver Star and Crsecent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
The SM was our first ride on a Viewliner car. Ours was a roomette. There are advantages and disadvantages-the upper bunk is more roomy and has a window (not so much like a coffin as on the Superliner cars). The sink and toilet being in the room is good, but takes up valuable space. The large storage upper area is good if you are strong enough to lift something up there. Our SCA, Patrick, was wonderful. He insisted on helping us with everything. We were surprised to have dinner waiting for us, since we were scheduled to leave WAS at 7:30 pm. Our trip was dark through VA and NC. GA, SC and FL were sort of scenic, of course, they looked a lot like LA, lots of swamp, trees, and moss. You can see lots of lakes, rivers, orange and palm trees in FL. We got to ride in a bedroom for several hours. It was better than the roomette, but it sure takes a lots more AGR points.

The MIA station is in the older part of Miami, so we didn't stay there. It cost about $40.00 for a taxi to Miami Beach. We stayed at the Best Western right on the ocean. It's an older renovated hotel, but the view from our balcony was spectacular and the room was huge. There was a long boardwalk behind our hotel.

We took the Miami City tour and the Everglades Airboat tour. The next day we took the all day Key West tour. It's a 3 hour drive. We took the trolley tour there . We saw lots of historical buildings (Hemingway house, Audubon House, a lighthouse, Truman Little White House, some Shipwreck Museums and lots of old homes). Key West is a very old town with lots of interesting history. There are plenty of restaurants and bars, too, including Jimmy Buffet's original Margaritaville. Of course, we had to have our picture made at the Southernmost Point Continental USA sign.

Our last day, we learned that we could catch a city bus right outside our hotel to the Amtrak station for $4.00. It took about an hour, but was better than $40.00 and we got to see some more of Miami.

The MIA station is very small for such a large city and has no lounge or WIFI. We left on time at 11:50 for WAS with lunch on the train. The dining car attendants, Linda and Mia were great. I can't say the same for our SCA, Jr. The woods through NC were full of beautiful dogwood trees.

During our layover in WAS, we walked to the Postal Museum (next door). It was interesting. The good thing about Washington is there are lots of free museums. We boarded the Crescent and had dinner, which was very slow. The next morning our breakfast took 1 1/2 hours to be served and it was not crowded. Our SCA, Grady, was very good, though. VA is a pretty state with many farms and hills. Northern AL has mountains and rivers. We were surprised to have dinner before reaching NOL. You can see Lake Ponchatrain, the new levees and lots of rebuilt homes in NOL. We rode coach home to LCH the next day. We find coach just fine in the daytime.

This was a good trip, especially since most of it was on AGR points. What a great way to see the country!

We were glad that we had just made it home before the Boston Marathon Bombs and all of the turmoil in the East.

Thanks for the report. I am happy that you enjoyed your time in my home state of Florida. Although I currently live in Orlando, I was born in Miami Beach and lived in South Beach for the first 2 years of my life, which of course, I do not remember.

:hi: Nice Trip Margo! Hopefully you let Amtrak know about the poor Service you experienced along with the Good! There really is no excuse for that SCA on the Cap Ltd., that's the type we are all hoping will be "retrained" or "de-trained" permanently! ;) I personally Love the Viewliner Roomettes and Heritage Diners (but dislike the Pseudo-Lounges and Amfleet and Heritage Coaches)) but overall the Superliners are my Favorite Cars as long as I dont have to Sleep in the Coffin up top!

Last edited by a moderator:
The MIA station is very small for such a large city and has no lounge or WIFI. We left on time at 11:50 for WAS with lunch on the train.
Actually, while not very remarkable, the Miami station does have a special waiting area for sleeper passengers set off from the main waiting area. There are some small snacks and refreshments available within that special waiting area.

That seems to be the theme for diner service on the Crescent. Slow. Erratic. How come it takes so long even when there is no crowd.

I've experienced this on my last two Crescent trips. The staff has generally been pleasant BUT incredibly erratic.

They run out of food on Crescent, for one thing. It seems to make passengers crabby.

That seems to be the theme for diner service on the Crescent. Slow. Erratic. How come it takes so long even when there is no crowd.
I've experienced this on my last two Crescent trips. The staff has generally been pleasant BUT incredibly erratic.
The Diner Crews are based in New York and the rest of the OBS are New Orleans based! 'Splains that! ;)

Aren't LSL crews New York based? If so I've seen some good one on there. Last summer on NB crescent, the lsa did a good job balancing passenger desires and crew efficieny. They didn't cram people into tables at lunch between New Orleans and Atlanta. We spread out and the guy at my table used a lap top during lunch. It was strange, but this is the new type of traveler, and the lsa's flexibility was probably appreciated by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back