Philadelphia Amtrak to Villanova University

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tasking my niece from Providence to Villanova U for college tour so I can't afford to mess up. We'll be pulling this off in a day, back and forth. Once I get to Philly's Amtrak Station, where do I go to pick up a train to Villanova University? I read something about Suburban trains but I really need to know exactly where to go, how long it will take to get to Suburban train, etc. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you. (We plan to make the trek on a Saturday in September, probably the 21st.)

Here is a link to the regional commuter line, SEPTA. Looks like for $7 you can get a 20 min ride to the campus. Click on the 'trip viewer' option to see the station stops. Then click on 'view' to see a map of the station. SEPTA leaves from the upper level of the Amtrak 30th st. station (aka Gray 30th st). That's maybe a 5 min. walk up a long ramp at the end of the main concourse you access by an escalator from track level. This line goes downtown to Suburban St. station but you want the trains going the other direction to Paoli/Thornburg.

SEPTA is reported to be restoring more weekend service the first week in September so check for updates.

Last edited:
Currently trains to Paoli/Thorndale on weekends leave 30th St. at 55 minutes past the hour every hour from 6:55 AM. But that may change if a new schedule is introduced. The Villanova station appears to be very close to the campus.

There is also a Villanova station on the Norristown High Speed line. Besides being a little further from campus, it would also require using the Market St. El to 69th st. then changing to the NHSL and would take longer than the regional rail. I only mention it because a search for a Villanova station may also show this option.

Actually, the regional rail and Norristown High Speed Line stations (both Villanova and Stadium) are right at the Villanova campus. The regional rail is the quicker and easier way to get there from 30th St.
Looking at the map I see you are right about the NHSL, they now have a walkway across US Route 30 which makes it easier.

Back