Segment 3 of our 9000 trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
This was our first long-distance Amtrak trip. We couldn't have done it without all the help from these forums, Amtrak personnel, and Amtrak Guest Rewards(covered the whole trip).

We arrived 30 minutes late into Portland. As we stepped off the train, an Amtrak employee was waiting for us and whisked us on one those people-mover carts to our car on the EB. The EB has to have the best Sleeping Car Attendants! Ours was Tony and then Paul on the return trip. Tony brought us some really good cold plate lunches, made our beds and was always asking if we needed anything. He even made coffee at 4 am. Now that I look at my notes, I think the complimentary bottles of champagne were on this trip. Maybe I enjoyed it too much and can't remember where I got it! :giggle: Anyway, the scenery was beautiful on this trip, too. The Columbia River Gorge from the Washington side is so pretty, lots of waterfalls and mountains with snow. We saw a herd of elk close to our train. We arrived in Whitefish, MT 15 minutes early.

We stayed in this great little town 2 1/2 days. We stayed at the Best Western. They had a shuttle pick us up and let us have our room at 7:15 am (no extra charge!). Their front desk clerk, Kristen, was very friendly and helpful. I dumped the suitcases and left my tired husband to go catch the SNOWBUS (free shuttle for the area). I had a DOGSLED to catch! What fun. Ten huskies pulled me 12 miles through the Stillwater State Forest. You sure can't do that in Louisiana! After going back to our hotel, the BW van took us into downtown Whitefish. Such a cute town and it snowed on us!The next day after a very good Continental Breakfast at the BW, we rode the Snowbus up the mountain to the Big Mountain Resort. Saw a herd of deer on the side of the road. Against my husband's better judgement, we rode the chair ski-lift to the Summit.That's the coldest these two South Louisiana folks have ever been (8 degrees). But, it was beautiful up there. The next day we rode the Snowbus back into town and saw lots of old historical buildings and the Stumptown Museum at the depot. We even saw a stuffed Fur Fish! According to the Museum volunteer, the product of a long Montana winter and a bored taxidermist. Since our train (the EB back to Portland) was scheduled to arrive at about 9 pm, the BW let us pay for a half day and took us to the depot. The EB was right on time. Paul, our SCA, had our beds ready, even with a mint on our pillow and a newspaper the next morning! We doubled back to PDX and SAC because we wanted to ride the California Zephyr. Besides, we got to see that beautiful scenery from another direction and had some more of that great EB service.

At PDX, we stored our luggage in the Metropolitan Lounge (for sleeping cars only) and went exploring in Portland. We went to the Portland City Grill 30th floor for some good views and drinks. The Old Town Portland Waterfront walk was so pretty and the weather was perfect.

The Coast Starlight to Sacramento was as good as before, except no Pacific ocean. The SAC station is large and pretty. They charge $3.00 each bag for storage. No lounge. Our next train was the California Zephyr.

Hi,

Sounds as though you are having a great adventure... I am imagining that dog sled ride to be a wonderfull experience! I was in sleeper on both the Coast Starlight, where I got a small bottle of Champers and the Empire Builder where I was given a bottle of wine, both gratis.

bon voyage,

Ed :cool:

Glad to hear you enjoyed the EB and Whitefish. I love that town, and this summer will be my 3rd time out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back