Service dog on San Joaquin Venture cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all! Taking my first Amtrak trip with my trained service dog soon- she's a seasoned plane traveler, but thought I'd mix it up this time- it'll be my first time on Amtrak too! I'm curious if anyone has traveled on the new Venture cars on the San Joaquin line and can speak about the let room. My dog (50lbs) easily tucks in the "personal item" space underneath a tiny Frontier airline seat for a cross country trip, but I don't know if the train seats have a similar setup.

Do Amtrak seats generally have that room underneath them for my service dog to tuck under? If not, would you recommend booking the accessible seating? I don't love the style- I avoid booking bulkhead seats on planes because my dog sleeps better in the cozy, enclosed space under a seat rather than out in the open. I'm traveling alone so, unless the train is empty, I won't have the option of letting my dog stretch out a bit if she can't fit under the seat in front of me.

Thanks!

Hello all! Taking my first Amtrak trip with my trained service dog soon- she's a seasoned plane traveler, but thought I'd mix it up this time- it'll be my first time on Amtrak too! I'm curious if anyone has traveled on the new Venture cars on the San Joaquin line and can speak about the let room. My dog (50lbs) easily tucks in the "personal item" space underneath a tiny Frontier airline seat for a cross country trip, but I don't know if the train seats have a similar setup.

Do Amtrak seats generally have that room underneath them for my service dog to tuck under? If not, would you recommend booking the accessible seating? I don't love the style- I avoid booking bulkhead seats on planes because my dog sleeps better in the cozy, enclosed space under a seat rather than out in the open. I'm traveling alone so, unless the train is empty, I won't have the option of letting my dog stretch out a bit if she can't fit under the seat in front of me.

Thanks!
I’m curious, what type service does a sleeping dog provide.

I’m curious, what type service does a sleeping dog provide.
In the past, I've worked with two blind professionals whose guide dogs accompanied them to work and napped in the desk kneehole or alongside during the day. And "came to attention" when it was time to go to the restroom, a lunch, a meeting, or home. So sleeping on the job is standard for some types of assistance animals. An Amtrak trip seems to offer plenty of nap time. Mind you, mountainsdtraveler doesn't tell us what his or her 50-lb. service dog is trained to do, just that she's a seasoned and apparently polite traveler.

Having said that, I can't answer the question. I occasionally see service dogs on Amtrak Superliner and Viewliner coach and they seem generally to fit in the generous leg room. But I don't know the San Joaquin's new Venture cars. Anyone?

Back