Silver Service schedule changes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
Today, I received 3 emails from Amtrak with new e-tickets for upcoming trips on the Silvers. The changes are minor. My January trip on 98 leaves Orlando one minute later and arrives in NYP 18 minutes later. My January trip on 91 arrives in Orlando 17 minutes later (departs NYP same time). My October trip on 97 arrives in Orlando 15 minutes later (departs NYP same time). I have yet to receive an email with a new e-ticket for my October trip on 98.

It looks like it's not just the Silver Service. I got an email with a new ticket for one of my 98 trips, a new ticket for 49 arriving into Chicago 22 minutes later, and a new ticket for 50 arriving into NYP 25 minutes later. These are all in January.

I have a second trip on 98 connecting to 29 in January which I am not able to access anymore after these changes. It has disappeared from the app and it gives me an error while trying to access the reservation on the website. Worked fine before these new tickets were issued for other trips.

Last edited:
It looks like it's not just the Silver Service. I got an email with a new ticket for one of my 98 trips, a new ticket for 49 arriving into Chicago 22 minutes later, and a new ticket for 50 arriving into NYP 25 minutes later. These are all in January.

I have a second trip on 98 connecting to 29 in January which I am not able to access anymore after these changes. It has disappeared from the app and it gives me an error while trying to access the reservation on the website. Worked fine before these new tickets were issued for other trips.
You may have hit the infamous and customer hostile safety patrol train date.

I’m riding on the Meteor in March from Kissimmee to Philadelphia, and the the Star from Philadelphia to Miami in early May. Amtrak also sent me updated reservations. What gives? You weren’t the only one. Also, Keystone 644, which I was to take for the May trip from Elizabethtown to Philadelphia was also cancelled. I was able to rebook another Keystone. Weird.

What is this?
Palm Beach County (I think) Safety Patrol reserves trains 98 and 97 to go roundtrip to DC either once or twice a year. Those trains are not available to other passengers. From what I understand, the crew chosen for those trips are among the best.

I got a phone call about one or two minute shift in schedules out in April. Since I figure things will change a few times between now and then, and that I will look up the latest closer to travel time anyway, I heard the message and hung up without noting anything down.

And then two days later I got an email with the same information.

Last edited:
Palm Beach County (I think) Safety Patrol reserves trains 98 and 97 to go roundtrip to DC either once or twice a year. Those trains are not available to other passengers. From what I understand, the crew chosen for those trips are among the best.
Wow! I didn't know that still existed.

I remember it being a thing when I was growing up in NY back in the '60s. I don't think I've ever seen kids wearing the over-the-shoulder belt here in the Orlando area, or anywhere since I left NY in the '70s.

I was a safety patrol member in elementary school back in the 1950's. We were issued a web belt/shoulder strap and a metal badge with the AAA logo. Yep, it was kids. I was 2nd lieutenant.

Not sure what it is 65 years later in FL.

Back