Simple rules for calculating points needed for a ld trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
Are there any simple guidelines for calculating points needed? For example, if we arrive at SAC 11:59 pm on the CS and depart on the CZ at 11 am, does that start a new zone? Also, if we arrive at SAS 12:05 am and depart on the TE at 7 am, is that a new zone? Can we take these routes from LCH? Thank you.

Zones are not based on time or dates, it is only based on where your origination and destination are. If you go into another zone, you're charged another zone. If not, you don't pay another zone. The border cities are ATL, CIN, TOL, ELP, DEN, WPT and all stops on the SWC between TRI and ABQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the question is what constitutes a "connection" (which does not require a new AGR booking), and what constitutes a "stop-over" (which does).

The CS to CZ connection at SAC does not show as valid at Amtrak.com, and it does not occur on the same date, so my suspicion is that it would be a stop-over and would require a new AGR booking. However, there are exceptions with sleeper travel that permit non-published connections to trains departing the next day. Rather than provide a guess, my advise is to call AGR and ask. If the travel is by sleeper, be sure to mention the specific AGR redemption guideline:

Where sleeping car service is not offered for the entire published route, and where an alternate direct routing exists with sleeping car service on all segments, the alternate routing is allowed. (Example: Denver, CO to Los Angeles, CA on Trains 5 and 11)
AGR Redeem (click "Redemption Guidelines")

Zones are not based on time or dates, it is only based on where your origination and destination are. If you go into another zone, you're charged another zone. If not, you don't pay another zone. The border cities are ATL, CIN, TOL, ELP, DEN, WPT and all stops on the SWC between TRI and ABQ.
DET is also a zone boundary. West from DET is midwest zone. East from DET (bus to Toledo then east) is Eastern zone.

Back