Sunset Ltd. #1 Schedule Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently aboard the westbound Sunset Ltd. #, travelling from New Orleans to Houston.

The train departed NOL right on time, at 11:55am. However, about an hour out of NOL, the train came to a halt. We sat still for over 4 hours, and didn't budge an inch! They made an announcement and said we were being held due to "freight congestions ahead". I have travelled on Amtrak a lot in recent years, so I am accustomed to delays. I always have some music to listen to and plenty of reading material. At one point, one of the attendants was in my coach car. I asked him if this delay was unusual for the Sunset Ltd. #1 (I had not taken this particular train in a long time). He said no, that there was always some sort of freight delays at this spot usually on every departure out of NOL. He said the delay was usually from 1 to 4 hours. We eventually took off, and made it into Houston about 2 hours late, around 11:30pm.

My question is, if Amtrak knows that this delay is a common occurence, why don't they simply adjust the schedule so that train #1 departs NOL a couple of hours later, thus avoiding the delay?

I can't see that there is any rhyme nor reason to have a 11:55am departure time anyway.

David

I was recently aboard the westbound Sunset Ltd. #, travelling from New Orleans to Houston.The train departed NOL right on time, at 11:55am. However, about an hour out of NOL, the train came to a halt. We sat still for over 4 hours, and didn't budge an inch! They made an announcement and said we were being held due to "freight congestions ahead". I have travelled on Amtrak a lot in recent years, so I am accustomed to delays. I always have some music to listen to and plenty of reading material. At one point, one of the attendants was in my coach car. I asked him if this delay was unusual for the Sunset Ltd. #1 (I had not taken this particular train in a long time). He said no, that there was always some sort of freight delays at this spot usually on every departure out of NOL. He said the delay was usually from 1 to 4 hours. We eventually took off, and made it into Houston about 2 hours late, around 11:30pm.

My question is, if Amtrak knows that this delay is a common occurence, why don't they simply adjust the schedule so that train #1 departs NOL a couple of hours later, thus avoiding the delay?

I can't see that there is any rhyme nor reason to have a 11:55am departure time anyway.

David

You do realize that you are asking Amtrak to do something that makes sense!!! LOL... :lol: :lol: :blink:

OBS gone freight...

For a more serious answer to your question, Amtrak has already added an insane amount of padding into the schedule of the "Sunset Limited" to account for the heavy freight delays they experience on that route. Ever since my departure from Amtrak, I still remain at a loss of what to do other to provide more funding and accountability continues to need improvement IMO.

OBS gone freight...

For a more serious answer to your question, Amtrak has already added an insane amount of padding into the schedule of the "Sunset Limited" to account for the heavy freight delays they experience on that route. Ever since my departure from Amtrak, I still remain at a loss of what to do other to provide more funding and accountability continues to need improvement IMO. OBS gone freight...
Correct.

David, since 2000 Amtrak has added 12 and 1/2 hours of extra running time to the schedule of the Sunset Limited. Now granted about 3 hours of that padding was added east of New Orleans, where the train no longer runs. But everytime Amtrak agrees to lengthen the schedule by a couple of hours, Union Pacific just takes advantage of that and continues to delay Amtrak anyhow.

So sadly I don't think that adding yet 2 more hours is going to help. That will only be gobbled up by UP, and Amtrak still will sit in the same place waiting for the freight trains to get out of its way, even though Amtrak has the right of priority over the freight trains.

Now in all fairness, I will say that UP has actually started improving things on two other routes where they host Amtrak. So perhaps there is hope that eventually they will start doing better for the Sunset too. And they are working hard to double track the mainline, which will help to improve things. But that is still a few years away from completion.

Even if they depart later (to avoid this wait in this spot), what is not to say they will be a longer wait between Houston and San Antonio, and between Del Rio and El Paso, and between Deming and Tucson, and ... - all because of this later start time?

If you were only about an hour out of New Orleans, the host railroad is BNSF, not UP. As part of the UP takeover of SP, UP had to give BNSF rights on several lines and sell some. The ex SP main east of Iowa Junction, which is about 10 miles east of Lake Charles, Louisiana to New Orleans, actually to Avondale Yard on the west side of the Huey P. Long Bridge, was sold to BNSF. It is somewhat of an orphan, since it does not physically connect to any other BNSF owned track. In fact, if you look at the current BNSF division map for the Gulf Division, the entire line between Houston and New Orleans is shown as "Joint Territory"

www.bnsf.com/tools/reference/division_maps/div_gu.pdf

But, in the 2002 Employee Timetable, only the Iowa Jct to Avondale is shown in the sudivision pages.

I realize that this still does not explain the congestion.

Was it really an hour or was it less? I can picture delays getting onto the Huey Long bridge. Had you crossed that? It is a most memorable part of the trip. A person who does not like heights or tall bridges is strongly advised not to look out the window. For those that don't mind, the view is fantastic. The track level is about 150 feet above the river.

A single hour long delay like that doesn't sound like BNSF. Aren't they pretty good when it comes to passenger trains?

Was it really an hour or was it less? I can picture delays getting onto the Huey Long bridge. Had you crossed that? It is a most memorable part of the trip. A person who does not like heights or tall bridges is strongly advised not to look out the window. For those that don't mind, the view is fantastic. The track level is about 150 feet above the river.
Heck, it can take an hour to get onto the Huey Long bridge in an automobile :p

If the Sunset runs over this bridge, that's almost worth the cost of a ride right there.

For those who've never seen it, the Huey Long is a major highway bridge with two or three lanes of traffic in each direction, no shoulder, no guard rail to speak of, and a railroad main line running right down the center at traffic level between the two directions of traffic. When there's a train on the bridge, it's like some sort of amusement park ride--the thing is shaking because of the train, traffic is bumper to bumper and crazy, and there's no guard rail, so everybody is hanging on for dear life and occasionally screaming :eek: At least, we were in our car (I was not driving).

If I recall correctly, the train is substantially elevated for a long distance before the bridge while the automobile traffic is down below and rises up to bridge level just before the bridge. So I'm guessing the view from the Sunset while on the elevation must be quite nice (as well as the view from the bridge itself).

For those who've never seen it, the Huey Long is a major highway bridge with two or three lanes of traffic in each direction, no shoulder, no guard rail to speak of, and a railroad main line running right down the center at traffic level between the two directions of traffic.
Who is Huey Long and why does he have his own bridge?

For those who've never seen it, the Huey Long is a major highway bridge with two or three lanes of traffic in each direction, no shoulder, no guard rail to speak of, and a railroad main line running right down the center at traffic level between the two directions of traffic.
Huey P. Long was a Senator from Louisiana in the late '20s and Governor of Louisiana in the '30s. He ran the state with an iron fist, was known as the Kingfish, and was considering running for President in 1935 when he was assassinated. He was responsible for over 100 bridges being built, including this one which was later given his name.

He is often said to be the basis for the main character in the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel All The King's Men, about a powerful, corrupt governor of Louisiana during the same era who is assassinated, though its author says that Willie Stark (the character) is not specifically based on Long. (I think Stark was more corrupt than Long by far. But the comparisons are obvious, though.)

I doubt this bridge has been substantially (if at all) modified, improved, or even repaired since the 1930s.

Wikipedia further says that when he became Governor, there were only three major highway bridges in the entire state of Lousiana. Long was responsible for 111 more, including the one bearing his name, the first bridge over the lower Mississippi. And, if it wasn't already clear, this bridge is LONG (not just in name, but in length, and also extremely high up above the river; and it feels like a roller coaster, because it's not flat--you go up for half, and then down for half).

"Long began an unprecedented building program of roads, bridges, hospitals and educational institutions. His bills met opposition from many legislators and the media, but Long used aggressive tactics to ensure passage of the legislation he favored. He would show up unannounced on the floor of both the House and Senate or in House committees, corralling reluctant representatives and state senators and bullying opponents. These tactics were unprecedented, but they resulted in the passage of most of Long’s legislative agenda. By delivering on his campaign promises, Long achieved hero status among the state's majority rural poor population." Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:
What non-overpass bridges are flat? o_O Any long bridge will have an arched deck. Its a basic building principle to do so, because of the inherent strength of arches, as well as reducing cost.

Take a look at the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Thats a nice sized curve right there. And a hell of an impressive structure actually. If you ever go to New York, take the 3-hour Circle Line.

What non-overpass bridges are flat? o_O Any long bridge will have an arched deck. Its a basic building principle to do so, because of the inherent strength of arches, as well as reducing cost.
Ones which have longer and more built-up approaches have far more gradual arches. Ones which are lower have little, if any, contour. Particularly long ones--try the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel for twenty-three miles of flat (with the exception of the two tunnel segments), or the Atchafalaya Bridge on I-10 for eighteen miles of flat, for instance.

Most railroad bridges don't have a lot of contour. That the Huey Long Bridge's railroad tracks cannot cope with the bridge contour and are instead significantly elevated for perhaps a miles on either side of the bridge (like, at least 30 feet elevated) says something. Compare this with any of the railroad bridges on the NEC, or the Susquehanna Bridge on the Pennsylvanian.

The contour of the Huey Long is steeper than that of any bridge I have ever been on (and I've been on a lot of bridges, and a lot of contoured bridges).

Huey P. Long was a Senator from Louisiana in the late '20s and Governor of Louisiana in the '30s. He ran the state with an iron fist, was known as the Kingfish, and was considering running for President in 1935 when he was assassinated. He was responsible for over 100 bridges being built, including this one which was later given his name.

when he became Governor, there were only three major highway bridges in the entire state of Lousiana. Long was responsible for 111 more, including the one bearing his name, the first bridge over the lower Mississippi. And, if it wasn't already clear, this bridge is LONG (not just in name, but in length, and also extremely high up above the river; and it feels like a roller coaster, because it's not flat--you go up for half, and then down for half).
Wikipedia being wikipedia, there are several things wrong with this article.

By definition, the Lower Mississippi begins at the junction between the Mississippis River and the Ohio River just below Cairo, Illinois. Despite the Upper Mississippi having a larger drainage basin than the Ohio, about 2/3 of the flow at that point is from the Ohio River side and only 1/3 from the Upper Mississippi River side. Above this point the channel location is fairly stable. Below this point the channel meanders, changes, makes cut-offs, and is considerably deeper and wider that the river above this point. In the 19th century it was regarded as essentially un-bridgeable. There was also the liklihood that if a bridge was built the river channel would move, cutting off one of the approaches and leaving you with a bridge over dry land.

The first bridge across the Lower River was and is the Frisco Bridge at Memphis. It was opened in 1892. At the time it was the longest span cantilever style bridge in the country, if not the world. It was also the first all steel bridge. (It was common at the time to use wrought iron for compression members in truss bridges.) Due to the presence of the high and solid clay Chickasaw Bluffs this was and is a stable point in the channel. It is single track railroad bridge that was originally decked level with the rails so it could be used by wagons between trains. It was built with 23 feet between railings so wagons could meet. It is today owned by BNSF and, with a 25 mph speed limit, is operated without clearance or weigth restrictions other than prohibion of strings of short ore cars. At the time it was built, the city of Memphis dedicated a street called Railroad Avenue that met the end of the bridge so that each railroad operating into Memphis could built a track up to the bridge. The last passenger train went across this bridge in December 1967.

The second bridge across the Lower River was and is the Harahan Bridge at Memphis. It was opened in 1916. This bridge is a couple hundred feet north of the Frisco Bridge, located to be on the same stable point, and also to line up with the tracks in Railroad Avenue. (Don't look to drive on this street. There is no street as such, only the tracks.) This brige has two tracks through the trusses with cantilevered roadways outside the trusses, one on each side similar to what you see on the HPL bridge. After its opening it was used by all railroads accessing Memphis from the west other than the Frisco. These were St. Louis Iron Mountain and Southern, later to be part of Missouri Pacific, St. Louis Southwestern (also know as the Cotton Belt), and the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific, all remaining portions in the area now taken over by UP. It is today owned by Union Pacific and, with a 20 mph speed limit, is operated without clearance or weight restrictions. The roadways were only 14 feet wide and were closed after a parallel 4-lane highway bridge located just south of the Frisco Bridge was opened in 1949. It's last5 passenger train was in something like 1965 or 1966.

The Frisco Bridge remained the southernmost bridge across the river until 1930.

The third bridge across the Lower River was and is the Vicksburg Bridge at Vicksburg, Mississippi. It was opened in 1930. Again the location was determined by the location of a stable point in the channel due to the bluffs at Vicksburg. The bridge has a single track and a two lane roadway, both located inside the truss. It was built as a private venture based in part on a 999 year lease by the Yazoo and Mississippi Valley Railroad (later taken over by Illinois Central). The bridge was later sold to Warren County, Mississippi, who currently owns it. The railroad lease is now in the hands of Kansas City Southern. I do not know the current speed limit. For a long time under ICRR it was 10 mph which was track based, not structure based, but I believe that it is now 25 mph. The roadway was closed sometime after the opening of the parallel Interstate 80 bridge in 1980. This bridge can be easily viewed from the Mississippi end from the Mississippi Welcome Center that is at exit 1 on I-80.

Now we get to HPL.

The fourth bridge across the Lower River was and is the Huey P. Long Bridge at New Orleans. It was opened in 1935. How the location was selectied, I do not know. It was built under a bond issue and is owned by the New Orleans Public Belt Railroad. It is very similar in concept to the 1916 Harahan Bridge. Two tracks inside the truss and two lane roadways cantilevered out one on each side. The initial using railroads were Southern Pacific and Texas and Pacific. Now they are BNSF on the SP route and UP on the T&P route. This is the only bridge still having any passenger trains running on it. For many years this was the world's longest railroad bridge, something around 5 miles end to end. So far as I know, it is still number 2, with the longest railroad bridge now being the 90 mile plus long viaduct on the southern half of the Taiwan High Speed Railway. For lines carrying freight, it is probably still the world's longest. Currently under construction is a widening of the main river piers and an additional line of trusses on each side so that in a couple of years there will be a three lane roadway on each side, with one side of each roadway supported by a new truss line on one side and the 1935 built railroad truss on the other side. See http://www.timedla.com/bridge/long/overview/ for discussion and some views of what is being done.

The fifth bridge across the river is also named the Huey P. Long Bridge and is at Baton Rouge LA. It was opened in 1940. I know less about this one. It is also of the same concept as the Harahan Bridge, only there is only one track inside the truss. The original railroad users were Missouri Pacific's Gulf Coast Lines and KCS's Louisiana and Arkansas. The main railroad user is now KCS, but I believe that UP still uses it to access Baton Rouge.

The first all-highway bridge across the Lower River was at Greenville, Mississippi, and I believe it was opened in 1940.

For those that don't mind, the view is fantastic. The track level is about 150 feet above the river.
George;

I was always told that the Huey Long was 175 feet above mean high water in order to allow ships to pass. Huey Long himself set the Old Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge that the L&A UP use at 150 feet (or possibly lower) to prevent ships from going any further up river and thus all the large ships were forced to use Louisiana ports. I know if anybody can find out you will.

For those that don't mind, the view is fantastic. The track level is about 150 feet above the river.
George;

I was always told that the Huey Long was 175 feet above mean high water in order to allow ships to pass. Huey Long himself set the Old Mississippi River bridge in Baton Rouge that the L&A UP use at 150 feet (or possibly lower) to prevent ships from going any further up river and thus all the large ships were forced to use Louisiana ports. I know if anybody can find out you will.
Someday, along with many other things I would like to do that working interferes with (I am looking forward to some of this boredom I hear some people complaining about) I want to get my hands on real information about all the bridges over the lower river.

Wikipeida has both 135 feet and 150 feet in their article. A little better information appears to be here:

http://www.johnweeks.com/lower_mississippi...es/lmiss16.html

The best conclusion I get from all information found is that the bridge is

153 feet clear of mean gulf level

was required to be 135 feet clear of normal maximum high water.

the all time maximum high water since the bridge was built was 20.1 feet above mean gulf level, occurring in 1950, so only once in the last 70 years has the 135 feet clear requirement been violated.

The main span is 790 feet, and the width of the navigation span is defined as 750 feet.

Here are some excerpts from information I have on the history of the bridge:

As early as 1892 the Southern Pacific Railway proposed a high level bridge, the design of which was prepared by Mr. E. L. Corthell assisted by Mr. E. H. Connor. The surveys for this structure were made by Mr. John F. Coleman of New Orleans. However, the financial depression of 1892 prevented realization of the project.
- - -

In 1914 the Public Belt Railroad Commission became actively interested in a projected crossing of the river and two years later obtained passage of a state constitutional amendment, by which the City was granted exclusive power to construct and operate a bridge or tunnel across the river at or near New Orleans, for railroad and highway uses. Upon passage of the amendment, the Commission formed its “Committee on Bridges or Tunnels,” which in its later form, the “Mississippi River Bridge Committee,” brought the project to completion.

The first Congressional authority for the Public Belt Railroad Commission to construct and operate a bridge or tunnel was obtained on August 8, 1916.

- - -

On June 11, 1925, approval of the War Department was secured for a cantilever bridge with 130-foot vertical clearance above Mean Gulf Level and a 750-foot horizontal span flanked on each side with 500 foot anchor arms,

- - -

In the meantime the Congressional Authority had expired and a new act obtained in 1928 stipulated that the plans be resubmitted to the War Department for approval. Additional hearings resulted in the Army Engineers requiring a location of the navigation span adjacent to the right descending bank, thus destroying the symmetry of construction.

- - -

The Commission, through its Engineers, presented a brief to the Army Engineers, requesting a reduction of 10 feet in the vertical clearance of the bridge, which would have effected a large saving in the cost, this brief pointing out the fact that these clearances would be ample for all traffic using the river above New Orleans. The War Department, however, ruled again that 135 feet vertical clearance over mean high water would be required, and a new permit issued in December, 1930, established the final plan of the bridge. In this permit the Army Engineers agreed to maintain and stabilize the west bank of the river by use of protection mattresses, with which assurance it was possible to effect certain economies in the cost of construction and maintenance of the structure.

- - -

The actual construction period of the bridge from the start of work to receiving traffic, extended from December 31, 1932, to December 16, 1935, a period of practically three years. Thus, through the efforts of many public-spirited citizens, the cooperation of the State, the City, the Southern Pacific Railway and the various federal agencies, all acting through or in cooperation with the Public Belt Railroad Commission, the long-time vision of a combined highway and railway bridge over the Mississippi River at New Orleans became a reality.
Oh yeah, the railroad portion is 22,996 feet = 4.355 miles long. The grades on the approaches to the main spans are 1.25%, which is probably the steepest grade on any railroad anywhere in Louisiana.

Last edited by a moderator:
George;

Someday, along with many other things I would like to do that working interferes with (I am looking forward to some of this boredom I hear some people complaining about) I want to get my hands on real information about all the bridges over the lower river.

Wikipeida has both 135 feet and 150 feet in their article. A little better information appears to be here:

http://www.johnweeks.com/lower_mississippi...es/lmiss16.html

The best conclusion I get from all information found is that the bridge is

153 feet clear of mean gulf level

was required to be 135 feet clear of normal maximum high water.

the all time maximum high water since the bridge was built was 20.1 feet above mean gulf level, occurring in 1950, so only once in the last 70 years has the 135 feet clear requirement been violated.

The main span is 790 feet, and the width of the navigation span is defined as 750 feet.

Here are some excerpts from information I have on the history of the bridge:

As early as 1892 the Southern Pacific Railway proposed a high level bridge, the design of which was prepared by Mr. E. L. Corthell assisted by Mr. E. H. Connor. The surveys for this structure were made by Mr. John F. Coleman of New Orleans. However, the financial depression of 1892 prevented realization of the project.
- - -

In 1914 the Public Belt Railroad Commission became actively interested in a projected crossing of the river and two years later obtained passage of a state constitutional amendment, by which the City was granted exclusive power to construct and operate a bridge or tunnel across the river at or near New Orleans, for railroad and highway uses. Upon passage of the amendment, the Commission formed its “Committee on Bridges or Tunnels,” which in its later form, the “Mississippi River Bridge Committee,” brought the project to completion.

The first Congressional authority for the Public Belt Railroad Commission to construct and operate a bridge or tunnel was obtained on August 8, 1916.

- - -

On June 11, 1925, approval of the War Department was secured for a cantilever bridge with 130-foot vertical clearance above Mean Gulf Level and a 750-foot horizontal span flanked on each side with 500 foot anchor arms,

- - -

In the meantime the Congressional Authority had expired and a new act obtained in 1928 stipulated that the plans be resubmitted to the War Department for approval. Additional hearings resulted in the Army Engineers requiring a location of the navigation span adjacent to the right descending bank, thus destroying the symmetry of construction.

- - -

The Commission, through its Engineers, presented a brief to the Army Engineers, requesting a reduction of 10 feet in the vertical clearance of the bridge, which would have effected a large saving in the cost, this brief pointing out the fact that these clearances would be ample for all traffic using the river above New Orleans. The War Department, however, ruled again that 135 feet vertical clearance over mean high water would be required, and a new permit issued in December, 1930, established the final plan of the bridge. In this permit the Army Engineers agreed to maintain and stabilize the west bank of the river by use of protection mattresses, with which assurance it was possible to effect certain economies in the cost of construction and maintenance of the structure.

- - -

The actual construction period of the bridge from the start of work to receiving traffic, extended from December 31, 1932, to December 16, 1935, a period of practically three years. Thus, through the efforts of many public-spirited citizens, the cooperation of the State, the City, the Southern Pacific Railway and the various federal agencies, all acting through or in cooperation with the Public Belt Railroad Commission, the long-time vision of a combined highway and railway bridge over the Mississippi River at New Orleans became a reality.
Oh yeah, the railroad portion is 22,996 feet = 4.355 miles long. The grades on the approaches to the main spans are 1.25%, which is probably the steepest grade on any railroad anywhere in Louisiana.
George;

The approach to the Old Baton Rouge Bridge is pretty hairy at the junction where the L&A and IC (CN) break off. I would say the grade at the junction is greater than anything I ran on on in New Orleans even on the Huey P. Long. Eons ago, the MOP had a tiny, tiny four track yard that you had to double out to ONTO the bridge (MOP yard) There was an operator at the junction in a portable building. The union made the L&A (KCS) move the operator to the yard office because of frequent derailments at the IC/L&A turnout. (The IC would put a switch engine on the hind end to push you up the bridge and cut off "on the fly" would resulted in numerous Knuckles and drawbars.)There was four points coming off the bridge that you had to release your air and pray for the best. (The Mighty MOP let all the dynamics on mostly older T&P equipment go to pot so you were solely reliant on air.) First, you would have to stop at the foot of the bridge to obtain clearance to proceed to the IC yard (where the Exxon refinery blew up in a cold spell in the 80's) and then you proceeded about 40 carlengths to the IC main where you had to line a switch to enter IC territory. Then you had to go about 1/4 mile and line the main line switch to enter the IC yard. All the time you had at least 150 cars chasing you downhill (the MOP hardly ever ran a decent train with less than 100 cars). After that you had to line whatever track the yardmaster told you to head into. With tons of haz-mat behind us from Dow, Georgia Pacific and MANY other haz-mat producers I just don't know how we did it day after day. it was like sitting on a glass carpet. And you had to pick up the brakeman at each point. I just don't think that today's youngsters would understand.

Had8ley:

The Baton Rouge version of the Huey P. Long Bridge. Have never had the experience of doing it on the rails but have drived the auto lanes a few times. Just what I could see of the city end alignment and connections from the road boggled my civil engineer's brain. It is the equivalent of a four way stop on a freeway. Then I look on a map: The MoPac/ICRR connection is a turnout on the inside of a rather small curve in the L&A/KCS track just off the end of the bridge. Yes I know where of you speak. Then there is the near 180 degree turn MoPac had to make just off the west end of the bridge.

For your info: from a 1999 KCS ETT, the condensed profile shows the grade up to the west end of the bridge as being 1.3% and up to the east end as being 1.1%. Given the rediculous currvature on the east end, they are probably about equivalent. Speed limit on the bridge: 20 mph. 10 mph through turnouts. I would think that would likely be too much for the idiotic inside of curve turnout.

Had8ley:
The Baton Rouge version of the Huey P. Long Bridge. Have never had the experience of doing it on the rails but have drived the auto lanes a few times. Just what I could see of the city end alignment and connections from the road boggled my civil engineer's brain. It is the equivalent of a four way stop on a freeway. Then I look on a map: The MoPac/ICRR connection is a turnout on the inside of a rather small curve in the L&A/KCS track just off the end of the bridge. Yes I know where of you speak. Then there is the near 180 degree turn MoPac had to make just off the west end of the bridge.

For your info: from a 1999 KCS ETT, the condensed profile shows the grade up to the west end of the bridge as being 1.3% and up to the east end as being 1.1%. Given the rediculous currvature on the east end, they are probably about equivalent. Speed limit on the bridge: 20 mph. 10 mph through turnouts. I would think that would likely be too much for the idiotic inside of curve turnout.
George;

You would have loved to ride over from east to west bank; there was NO walkway! You looked straight down to the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back