Taxi available at Norman, OK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Texan Eagle

Conductor
I am thinking of a last minute plan of doing an Amtrak trip on New Year's eve- take Heartland Flyer from Fort Worth to Oklahoma on Dec 31st and back to Fort Worth on Jan 1st and I am looking at available economical accommodation around Oklahoma City Amtrak station but it seems all hotels around the station are in the range of $120+ taxes, which I feel is a bit steep for a single person wanting to just spend the night, so I thought of getting off at Norman, and looked fr hotels around the station. There is nothing in walking distance but I found a Days Inn around 3 miles from the Amtrak station at the intersection of Main St. and I-35 that's giving a room for $60-odd. When the Flyer arrives at night, is it possible to get a taxi from the Norman Amtrak station to go to this hotel, and also one to travel from the hotel to the train station next day morning (keep in mind, it will be New Year's and Sunday). Will it be too much of a hassle and should I rather just book one of the hotels around Oklahoma City station? Any recommendations? I am a young single male traveler, just need a place to sleep for the night, no frills.

There are a ton of cheaper hotels within a 3 mile cab ride of the OKC station where cabs are readily available. Being a single male, bricktown will probably be a fun place to be. There is a NBA game, AHL hockey and a Flaming Lips concert going on that night (you can get a hockey ticket for $10). I imagine Norman next to the interstate will be pretty dead, especially with all the students out of town.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a hotel in OKC that supplies a shuttle to and from Bricktown/Amtrak station that I would probably not take a lady to, but would be good for a single male traveler....cant recall the exact name, but it is something like "Bricktown Inn".......out by a hiway and truck stop, but the shuttle works fabulously. Pretty reasonable on rate, too.

GO TO BRICKTOWN............

tonys96 said:
1325032615[/url]' post='336932']There is a hotel in OKC that supplies a shuttle to and from Bricktown/Amtrak station that I would probably not take a lady to, but would be good for a single male traveler....cant recall the exact name, but it is something like "Bricktown Inn".......out by a hiway and truck stop, but the shuttle works fabulously. Pretty reasonable on rate, too.

GO TO BRICKTOWN............
I grew up in Norman and love it but it is lame unless you are near campus. Cabs in Norman are also a trip. Will be at least $30 round trip in cab fare. Head to brick town. I always stay at Sheraton. Which is easy walk from Amtrak. I would look at Priceline I am sure less than $100. Is doable.

Hotels in downtown OKC are usually priced higher than a cat can lift its tail, and I wouldn't throw a dead cat into the ones just south of there on I-35, but Norman will be all but dead New Year's Eve and the previous posters are correct about cabs being over priced. Plus I rarely ever see any around the station when the Flyer arrives at night.

Downtown OKC will have Opening Night going on when you arrive (you'll be too late for Hockey or Basketball)and that would be worth the extra you have to pay to stay in the city, especially since the weather is forecast to be nice.

Those are all great suggestions. I might add that if you like the crowded atmosphere, then downtown and possibly uptown OKC are great. If, however, you like things a little lower key and still see the sights, there are hotels up I44, north of downtown, close to NW 63 and on up to Edmond that are reasonable and do offer shuttle services. If you don't want to travel much, though, those downtown hotels are your easiest option if you desire Oklahoma City, albeit expensive.

Norman does have less expensive accomodations and quite a few local Taxis. The area close to the Norman train station is usually got something going on (live music, mostly). At times, they block Main street off for night events (a block to the north). The train station itself offers concerts at night. I've arrived back a few times to find a nice jazz show going on inside the station! You'll have to check on the schedule, but either city might be a solution.

Best wishes in your search! :)

I've celebrated New Years on the Texas Eagle while en route but I've yet to ride the Heartland Flyer. SAS happens to have an Eastbound Sunset Limited that leaves five minutes before midnight on New Years Eve heading over to New Orleans. If Amtrak had the ability to turn off the lights in the SSL (so you could still do some actual sightseeing at night) I might have taken it just for the heck of it.

We've stayed at the Sheraton in OKC, a short walk from the train station and right across from the convention center, it was nothing special but it was very convinient to walk from train station. I almost always use priceline or hotwire to book hotels,along with betterbidding.com which helps you identify the property before you bid, and have always gotten very good deals 4 stars from $45. to $85 a night.

Just so happens I will be on that train, FTW-OKC new years eve with my family and a friend of my sons-If you decide to go all the way in to OKC, send me a PM, I would be happy to drop you off at a hotel when we get in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back