Thanksgiving Northeast timetables now available

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
The Thanksgiving timetable for the Northeast is now available. You should be able to pick it up at any station in the area it covers. It includes the entire Northeast Corridor, Boston to Virginia, Springfield to New Haven, the Keystone Corridor (Philadelphia to Harrisburg), and the Empire Corridor (New York to Niagara Falls).

This year every train is reserved, with the exception of some Keystone and Clocker trains, and a few Springfield trains. Once again, primarily on Thursday (Thanksgiving) and Sunday, there are "commuter extras", using equipment borrowed from commuter agencies to provide more seats (but most likely without food service or ample rest room facilities). These trains are in the 3xxx range. Some extra Acela Express trains have been added for this holiday period as well; they are numbered in the 222x-224x range.

Since there was no Northeast timetable put out in late October (it has been postponed until early January when more Acela Express trains will go into service), you will learn that the Main Street Station in Richmond, VA will be opening sometime this winter, and that the TWILIGHT SHORELINER and selected other Acela Regional trains will be stopping there. The timetable grids now show this station with a footnote as a "future stop" for winter 2002-2003. This does not appear on the Virginia card timetable released effective October 28th.

The existing station at Staples Mill Road, which is not in Richmond but rather suburban Henrico County, will remain a stop. It is far enough from the Main Street station so as not to affect passenger loads. The reopening of Main Street is a long time coming, and it should attract new ridership now that one will be able to access downtown Richmond rather than drive out to the suburbs to get the train.

In this first phase of operations, Main Street Station will only serve those trains that currently pass by it on the way to/from Newport News. This would be the Twilight Shoreliner (66, 67), and also trains 78, 83, 94, 95, 99, and 194.

In a second phase, those trains that currently originate or terminate at Staples Mill Road station will be extended to Main Street. This group would include what is currently trains 82, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 93, and 195.

And in a subsequent third phase, which will involve rebuilding a track connection to & from the south, the "new" station will be served by the Carolinian & the 3 Florida trains: 79, 80, 89, 90, 91, 92, 97, and 98. This last group would cease running over the bypass route that goes in the median of I-195 west of the city. The only train that might still use it is the Auto Train, since it does not make a local stop in Richmond (but it sometimes does make a quick servicing or crew-related stop, which can still be accomplished at Staples Mill).

My guess is that the Cardinal's Thruway bus connection 4050 and 4051 will eventually be rerouted to the Main Street station as well, once there are enough connecting trains. A downtown stop would definitely make more sense once there is a choice of two stations.

Given that the station's refurbishment and subsequent reinstatement of service took as long as it did, I would not hold my breath for the second and third phases to go into effect.

All trains in the three phases will still pass by Staples Mill Road station, and thus there are no plans to end service at what will become the "suburban" station stop it always has been.

I was in Henrico County last February comming off at Staples Mill and it's heavly populated with residents (mostly mid to upper class) and many large business parks are scattered about. We were only in the area for a night, but I couldn't see the city from our location until we went south on I-95.

The last time I was actually in the city was in 1997 visiting a long time freind and I remember going to the science museum which was in the other "old" station and it had a lot of history on the railroads of Virginia. I recomend it to anyone who is in the city. B)

Just for my memory where exactly is the Main Street Station in Richmond? Is it the station right next to I-95 just north of the James River or is that the Broad Street staton? It's been awhile since I've been to Richmond in any capacity.

TP49,

The last time I passed the station was last December, on the way to Newport News. I recall that the station is near the James River, and that it sits underneath a few highway ramps. Whether that is I-95, or an interchange leading to it, I don't know.

From what I could make out from the construction underway at that time, there will essentially be an island-type platform. On one side will be the trains to/from the east (Williamsburg & Newport News) and the other side will be for the trains to/from the south (Palmetto, Carolinian, Silver Service). I guess those trains that originate or terminate there could use either side.

auto train will not use main st station because the auto carriers will not fit under the triple crossing, just north of the james. at acca 52-53 will follow the acl a line south like all florida trains do now. at acca 79-80/89-90/91-92/97-98 will follow the sal s line to downtown like all newport news trains do now. 67-66/95-94/99-78 will swing away to the east side of main st station at what was the old 7th st. interlocking. all florida trains will head strai7t down the s line to the west side of the station thru the old brown st yard. they will continue out of the sta. thru the triple crossing, across the river down to bellwood. at bellwood they will swing back over to the a line and continue south to petersburg.

ryan

Are we referring to Broad St. Richmond? Also when would Silver Service begin servicing the station? (i.e. will it be by my trip in March?)

Viewliner said:
Are we referring to Broad St. Richmond? Also when would Silver Service begin servicing the station? (i.e. will it be by my trip in March?)
Nope, the timetable clearly says Main Street Station. I know Broad Street is another main drag through Richmond, but apparently that is not the station that is being refurbished. This first phase going into effect will not include the Silver Service trains, and I would not expect them to begin going that way for at least another year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back