Things I learned on my first Long-distance train trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
The first thing I learned was to call Amtrak for your train status 1/2 to 1 hour before going to the station. Sometimes the train arrives early, but more often, late. We had a roomette, which is really small (you either sleep or sit). But it does have a closet (about 6" wide), a cubbyhole (about 6" square), and a long mirror. There is coffee and juice in the middle of the sleeper, but no tea. Lightweight damp clothes will dry hanging in the closet overnight. Not all sleeping car attendants are equal. Most of ours were missing most of the time (except for Tony and Paul on the EB). You have to ask them to make up or down your beds. A SCA can not change a reading light bulb, according to one of ours. Some keep the restrooms and shower clean and stocked, and pass out newspapers, others do not. One told us it was not her job to empty the trash can when we were about to detrain. I tried tipping as soon as we boarded. It didn't help. I guess some people just have more pride in their work. I was not able to use my GPS or binoculars. I wish I had taken a highway map. Always take your own copies of your schedule and Amtrak map, because some rooms don't have them. We really did have a wonderful trip on the SL, CS, EB, CZ and TE. We hope to make another one in the East next year. Traveling on Amtrak is very relaxing.

Margo - sounds like you had a pretty typical experience - some good, some not so good aspects - and I am glad you like it well enough to be thinking of another trip. There was once a topic here regarding how quickly after a trip people begin planning the next one, and many of us said the planning starts even before the first one is over.

Best to you.

The first thing I learned was to call Amtrak for your train status 1/2 to 1 hour before going to the station. Sometimes the train arrives early, but more often, late. We had a roomette, which is really small (you either sleep or sit). But it does have a closet (about 6" wide), a cubbyhole (about 6" square), and a long mirror. There is coffee and juice in the middle of the sleeper, but no tea. Lightweight damp clothes will dry hanging in the closet overnight. Not all sleeping car attendants are equal. Most of ours were missing most of the time (except for Tony and Paul on the EB). You have to ask them to make up or down your beds. A SCA can not change a reading light bulb, according to one of ours. Some keep the restrooms and shower clean and stocked, and pass out newspapers, others do not. One told us it was not her job to empty the trash can when we were about to detrain. I tried tipping as soon as we boarded. It didn't help. I guess some people just have more pride in their work. I was not able to use my GPS or binoculars. I wish I had taken a highway map. Always take your own copies of your schedule and Amtrak map, because some rooms don't have them. We really did have a wonderful trip on the SL, CS, EB, CZ and TE. We hope to make another one in the East next year. Traveling on Amtrak is very relaxing.
Why couldn't you use your GPS?

I completed a series of LD train trips in March as well. I had a roomette for each overnight segment. My memorable things I learned were as follows:

• I read somewhere on this forum the suggestion to use zip lock bags for each day's clothes. That worked great! No searching through my suitcase, just grab and go to the shower. I reused my jeans.
  • I had a back back which I hung from the hook off the hook on the side of the mini closet by using one of the hangers. That really freed up space and allowed quick access to a lot of things, especially items to keep charged.
  • Verizon cell phone network coverage in west Texas is pretty sad along the Sunset Limited route.
  • Always always keep your camera handy! I barely got notice of crossing the Pecos River before it happened.
  • I loved every meal. Great conversation and good food.
  • Traveling by yourself means less contact. yes, you can go to the observation car and meet and talk with people but I found a lot of people there had already met in coach cars. However, people watching was fun and I enjoyed reading and looking out the window. I especially enjoyed audio books through my cell phone's blue tooth to a stereo headset. But you either need to be really outgoing with others or ab le to entertain yourself.
  • Trains run late. We never had long stops where I could even tour the station. It was always around 5 - 10 minutes maximum to get off the train and get some fresh air (I don't smoke).
  • This is an amazing country and it is great to see at ground level. I do wish they would keep the windows in the observation car cleaner.
  • The toilets do not flush if there is no AC power. I waited not wanting to lave a mess for the next person to deal with. Not fun.
  • Cars are worn but not worn out.
  • I really liked waking up at a stop in the middle of the night and just looking out the window at a quiet town.

I traveled on SL, CS, EB, and TE.

- LoneStarJeffe

Sounds like a wonderful trip.... 9000 miles! Train travel is like everything else. You gain experience as you go.

Though I have never had a reading lamp burn out, I have started bringing a mini LED head lamp with me when I travel by train. These lights are small, light weight, and allow you to direct a reasonable amount of light directly in front of your eyes.

I'll echo your comments about SCAs. Most of the SCAs I have encountered have been responsive and have made every practical effort to help when/where they can.

Regarding your GPS....what type of GPS unit do you have? You need to place the GPS antenna near the window for the best signal reception.

Not all GPS's are created equal. As GaSteve mentioned, you need to have one that has a trail or tracking mode that doesn't fixate to roads. In addition, many GPS's are designed to go through a car window. Train windows are much thicker and have extra coatings for safety. This greatly inhibits GPS reception. A trail GPS with extra sensitivity is the best type to use on a train, and even that may be hindered if you encounter cloud cover (stacked on top of the windows).

Our GPS worked wonderfully on the SWC this past week in our roomette. We had people stop & comment about it, some never knew it was possible. One thing we really enjoyed was knowing the speed of the train (both good and bad). Here is a great hint that I dont remember reading about anywhere.

In one of the lower 3 bathrooms of the superlines, there is a baby changing table that folds down from the wall. It works great to set your supplies on while in the tiny area. When the table is folded down, the toilet cant be used but the sink is accessable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back