This Forum is just plain AWESOME!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRrich

Conductor
A little while back my wife suggested that we take the train for our annual trip to see my Mom - who is near Albany NY.

I got on the internet, learned some and then booked tickets. I discovered this forum and Flyertalk. What great forums - we felt so good about the whole experience that prior to being on a LD train, we booked trips to New Orleans and Kansas City via Amtrak.

$3.26/gal gasoline did have an effect :rolleyes:

I'm glad I also found these sites also. Although I traveled quite a bit from my home north of ALB, it was not until last year that I found this site, and not much more before that I found FlyerTalk! I have learned as much from others as I have shared my knowledge with others.

So I too thank everyone! :)

i have been reading this site with pleasure for some time. i am about to travel to denver and back in late may/early june in part because of your help and advice and because i really like trains. so in thanks i will pass on a little story. when i was in school (mid 50's) one of my professors, an old time aero-engineer, said that it would soon be impossible to cross the country on the "silver worm". his words, not mine. if i stayed on the zephyr passed denver i would do just that 50 plus years later.

If it wasn't for this forum, I don't know if I would be as enthusiatic about train travel. You guys/gals steered me correctly when I first came on about 2 weeks before taking my first LD trip on the CZ. I learned so much and enjoyed my first trip that I have done it like 9 times more in the last two years. This site is extremely informative and fun, and meeting folks at the first gathering in CHI was a blast!

Al

Nice forum, nice people, good info. I like it too. I think I will like it more than my 4 days on the Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago and back in June.

DanO

Nice forum, nice people, good info. I like it too. I think I will like it more than my 4 days on the Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago and back in June.
DanO
Enjoy your trip, glad you and others found the info you needed to book 'em, DanO!

;)

This forum has helped me out a lot also. (As some of you know - I ask a lot of questions) Since we have discovered train travel (last couple years), we have gone from Illinois to NYC, Illinois to Seattle, Illinois to Texas and once again Illinois to NYC.

Our gas is $3.45 as of yesterday.

This forum has helped me out a lot also. (As some of you know - I ask a lot of questions) Since we have discovered train travel (last couple years), we have gone from Illinois to NYC, Illinois to Seattle, Illinois to Texas and once again Illinois to NYC.
Our gas is $3.45 as of yesterday.

Been a member for a week & have learned so much, THANK ALL OF YOU. Now to the good part - 11 day trip in September (my 1st!). What a wait this gonna be!!!

New member here also. Yep, agree, this forum is fantastic!!! My special thanks to rmadisonwi and Cascadia for quick and truly informative help with trip planning. :D :D :D

Oh, and the best price for regular here is at Costco. $3.78

I can't remember how I found this place now; I was looking up something Amtrak related on google. At the time my knowledge of Amtrak was pretty 'they run some trains in the USA' and I'd heard about the Acela (thanks to MS Train Sim) and I'd looked at their website to see what trains they ran and thought 'i want to try that'.

Various plans to travel to the US came and went, mainly as they clashed with other things, but by that point it was too late, I wanted to travel in the US, and I wanted it to be by train. The more I planned, the more trains got added to the scheme. It was going to be NY-Boston, then Chicago-NY-Boston, then DC got added in, then Boston-Chicago onto the end .. and that was the trip I've just returned from.

It's probably not a trip i'd have done if I hadn't found the forum, and for that I say a big thank you to everyone!

I like the "looseness" of this forum. It's liberal enough where "if" we get off topic we are not being scolded by Mr. Moderator and we don't have to address folks by "Mr and Mrs" but if things get a bit on the jaded side or mean, someone steps in. I was briefly on another forum and it took longer to learn the rules of how to operate on thier forum than it does to take an American Airlines plane from LA to NYC! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been a big Amtrak fan. My parents took me on my first trip in 79' on the Sunset Limited. I was ten years old. I have taken an Amtrak trip at least once a year every year since. I thought I knew more than the average bear about Amtrak but I've certainly learned a great deal from reading and posting in this forum!

Thanks Alan and everybody who keeps this site active, its great!!!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back