Threatened strike could close East Coast and Gulf Coast Ports

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDiamond

Streetcar Motorman
AU Supporting Member
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bu...threaten-ports-east-coast-ila-usmx-rcna171914

A major strike is on the horizon for thousands of maritime workers, posing a threat to East Coast ports responsible for billions of dollars of goods.

"The International Longshoremen’s Association (ILA), the largest union of maritime workers in North America, has vocalized plans to go on strike at all of its Atlantic and Gulf Coast ports Oct. 1 if a new contract agreement can’t be reached with the United States Maritime Alliance (USMX). The union is arguing for better wages and continued protections against automation and new technology in its terminals."

If this happens, would shipping companies be able to divert to West Coast ports then ship via rail? I imagine this would not be easy plus the ports and rail are already heavily used.

If this happens, would shipping companies be able to divert to West Coast ports then ship via rail? I imagine this would not be easy plus the ports and rail are already heavily used.
I had read that this is already happening. Also CSX and NS have said they expect minimal financial impact. Containers that would now go to the east coast cities from the west coast would give them longer hauls to offset loss of east coast port traffic to the Midwest.

Back