Trip Report: Brightline and the Silver Star.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planned this trip around a points redemption for a roomette on the Lakeshore Limited from Boston to Chicago on August 12. Once I had that book, I thought about maximizing train riding. I decided to fly down to Miami and spend two nights there. I would take a trip on Bringhtline to Orlando, then take the Silver Star to Washington, D.C.

Over the weekend before, I started seeing reports of the tropical depression that would become Hurricane Debby and Tropical Storm Debby. I was glad that I purchased the insurance for the Silver Star portion of the trip. The insurance gives me financial backup if things change.

Today, Wednesday, August 7, I had a flawless first day of travel. I flew from Chicago to Miami, and the plane arrived early. I took an Uber to lunch/dinner at Anthony's coal-fired pizza. Then another Uber to the Hyatt Regency downtown. Check-in was easy. No line.
'
I have been following Amtrak Service Alberta and doing test bookings for Thursday, August 8, to see if the Silver Service trains are scheduled to operate. As of 7 p.m. Eastern time, both northbound trains are a go. The Meteor and the Star are both showing space available. I am booked on Friday's Silver Star to Washington, D.C. If the trains go on Thursday, I am thinking I will be riding Amtrak north on Friday.

I got to Ohare early enough to have oatmeal in the United Club. Then I boarded my flight to Miami. The third photo is an aerial view of my house. It is in the center of the photo near the parking lot along the train tracks and the railroad station.

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpeg
    IMG_0596.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0597.jpeg
    IMG_0597.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0598.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0599.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0600.jpeg
    IMG_0600.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0601.jpeg
    IMG_0601.jpeg
  • IMG_0602.jpeg
    IMG_0602.jpeg
  • IMG_0595.jpeg
    IMG_0595.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Just had a major go around with Brightline. I had purchased premium fares to afford flexibility if a train showed up in a wrap. Of course my first train showed up with a wrap. I tried to change to next train to hopefully get one with no wrap. The app wouldn't do it. Understandable. I went down to guest services and one agent looked at my phone told me all the trains were sold out. I rushed back up and missed the train.

I did a fresh booking and every train had availability. I went back downstairs and got in line. I was second in line. Another agent came out. She said she would help me. I thought she was going to a certain window. I went there and the agent waiting on the other guests started yelling at me for getting out of line and cutting. I explained why and that I didn't have a problem waiting. She kept scolding so I told her don't talk to me like that. She called security.

I explained what had happened and security just walked away. The second agent was very helpful. I thanked her profusely.

I asked to speak to the manager and he came out. He was very understanding. I told him I had come from Chicago to ride Brightline and that I was trying to avoid a train with a wrap. He apologized profusely about the mishap with the first two agents. He said if there had been escalation for any reason they were to call him. They didn't follow their training.

He called the service manager on the incoming train to verify no wrap. There isn't so I'll be okay. I have the same train coming back.

Key take away. The ability to change trains is not available the last 20 minutes before departure. The train boards less than 20 minutes before departure. You cannot change to a later train in the app if you skip the planned train. Guest services has been the ability to help. If you have issues ask to speak to a manager. Jesus was the manager who helped me today.

The Brightline runs a good railroad imho. We made good time north of Ft. Lauderdale. Longer stretches between 90 and 110 mph. The onboard service was attentive. Had two or three refills on my ginger ale. There was not a full selection of sandwiches. U settled for smoked turkey. It was ok.

On the way back we were told to put down our shades. A nb train had hit a car or trespasser. I could not see through the shade. I could see emergency vehicles. The delay was miminal. I would have understood a longer delay.

91 has made its way into Virginia. And 98 and 92 are making their way north. 98 is 2 hours late.

Some photos of my Brightline trip.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0606.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0607.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0608.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0609.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0610.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0613.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0611.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0614.jpeg
    IMG_0614.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0619.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
This morning I board and the Silver Star for a trip to Washington DC. The sca is Amy. She's a good one. Personable and professional. Lunch is at 12:30. She offered to bring my meal to the room. I'll go to the diner.

I have a viewliner 2. The windows are clean.

Attachments

• IMG_0627.jpeg
    IMG_0627.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0628.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0629.jpeg
    IMG_0629.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0630.jpeg
    IMG_0630.jpeg
  • IMG_0631.jpeg
    IMG_0631.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Just had a major go around with Brightline. I had purchased premium fares to afford flexibility if a train showed up in a wrap. Of course my first train showed up with a wrap. I tried to change to next train to hopefully get one with no wrap. The app wouldn't do it. Understandable. I went down to guest services and one agent looked at my phone told me all the trains were sold out. I rushed back up and missed the train.

I did a fresh booking and every train had availability. I went back downstairs and got in line. I was second in line. Another agent came out. She said she would help me. I thought she was going to a certain window. I went there and the agent waiting on the other guests started yelling at me for getting out of line and cutting. I explained why and that I didn't have a problem waiting. She kept scolding so I told her don't talk to me like that. She called security.

I explained what had happened and security just walked away. The second agent was very helpful. I thanked her profusely.

I asked to speak to the manager and he came out. He was very understanding. I told him I had come from Chicago to ride Brightline and that I was trying to avoid a train with a wrap. He apologized profusely about the mishap with the first two agents. He said if there had been escalation for any reason they were to call him. They didn't follow their training.

He called the service manager on the incoming train to verify no wrap. There isn't so I'll be okay. I have the same train coming back.

Key take away. The ability to change trains is not available the last 20 minutes before departure. The train boards less than 20 minutes before departure. You cannot change to a later train in the app if you skip the planned train. Guest services has been the ability to help. If you have issues ask to speak to a manager. Jesus was the manager who helped me today.

Sorry for my ignorance, what's a wrap?

How were the views from the unwrapped train? A couple of your photos appear to be taken as the train crossed one of the numerous bridges on the route, which I would expect to be the most interesting views. There is a distinct shortage of towering cliffs and majestic mountains in South Florida, but that doesn't necessarily mean the views are boring!

Sorry for my ignorance, what's a wrap?
Many Brightline trains (and other trains and buses) are wrapped in giant plastic bags printed with advertising. Usually commercial advertising, sometimes for special events like the annual local marathon or the state fair or promos for local tourism or culture. Most of the Brightline trains were wrapped shortly after they went into service. Many wraps are designed specifically for a particular car or bus type and have cutouts or clear sections for the windows. Most of the original Brightline wraps did not, and made it difficult or impossible to see out of the train. They've removed many of the wraps and some or all of the newer ones do not cover the windows, so the situation is getting better. I don't think wraps last very long, a year or two at most, unlike paint which is more-or-less permanent.

Steve went all the way to Florida mostly to ride the Brightline trains, and not being able to see out would have wasted most of the purpose of the trip.

How were the views from the unwrapped train? A couple of your photos appear to be taken as the train crossed one of the numerous bridges on the route, which I would expect to be the most interesting views. There is a distinct shortage of towering cliffs and majestic mountains in South Florida, but that doesn't necessarily mean the views are boring!

Many Brightline trains (and other trains and buses) are wrapped in giant plastic bags printed with advertising. Usually commercial advertising, sometimes for special events like the annual local marathon or the state fair or promos for local tourism or culture. Most of the Brightline trains were wrapped shortly after they went into service. Many wraps are designed specifically for a particular car or bus type and have cutouts or clear sections for the windows. Most of the original Brightline wraps did not, and made it difficult or impossible to see out of the train. They've removed many of the wraps and some or all of the newer ones do not cover the windows, so the situation is getting better. I don't think wraps last very long, a year or two at most, unlike paint which is more-or-less permanent.

Steve went all the way to Florida mostly to ride the Brightline trains, and not being able to see out would have wasted most of the purpose of the trip.
Thank you for the assist.

I've enjoyed my day on the silver star. Excellent crew. Good food on the diner.

Here are some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0629.jpeg
    IMG_0629.jpeg
  • IMG_0632.jpeg
    IMG_0632.jpeg
  • IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
  • IMG_0636.jpeg
    IMG_0636.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Thank you and now you explain it's obvious, but it could have been anything with a little imagination.

The ride on the Silver Star has been perfect. We We were 20 minutes late for most of the morning, but we arrived in Richmond on time.

The solo employee is putting on a clinic in running the dining car. He keeps track of everyone’s order. He gets the food out in a timely manner. No over-enforcement of community seating. In fact he takes reservations and you just walk and get seated. No lecture about waiting for the announcement. The cook has done a great job with the food.

Amy the sca is continuously pleasant and thoughtful. She left the blanket out so I could enjoy my after-breakfast nap.

I enjoyed my stay in Washington DC. I stayed at the Thompson which near the ball park Navy Yard station on n the green line. I ate dinner at Emmy Squared Pizza. Outstanding Detroit style pizza.

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpeg
    IMG_0680.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0679.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0678.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0676.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0672.jpeg
    IMG_0672.jpeg
  • IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
  • IMG_0671.jpeg
    IMG_0671.jpeg
  • IMG_0677.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
I arrived at Union station by Uber. As I got out people came streaming out telling those going into turn around. There was a fire alarm. Two fire trucks arrived with sirens and lights. After about 10 minutes people were allowed back in. I got to the club Acela. I was let in immediately and as always, the agent on duty was on point, friendly and professional. The fire alarm did not deter her from doing her job perfectly.

I’m waiting for 2254. All the trains are on time.

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpeg
    IMG_0680.jpeg
The pasta was very good. The attendants checked back several times. Some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpeg
    IMG_0693.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0694.jpeg
    IMG_0694.jpeg
  • IMG_0692.jpeg
    IMG_0692.jpeg
  • IMG_0687.jpeg
    IMG_0687.jpeg
  • IMG_0686.jpeg
    IMG_0686.jpeg
  • IMG_0685.jpeg
    IMG_0685.jpeg
  • IMG_0695.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0698.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Here are some more photos. We arrived Boston a few minutes late. While I was waiting for my Uber I heard the announcement for 448 arriving.

Attachments

• IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
  • IMG_0707.jpeg
    IMG_0707.jpeg
  • IMG_0708.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0704.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0710.jpeg
    IMG_0710.jpeg
  • IMG_0711.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Checked in at the lounge in Boston and was informed I had been downgraded to coach. I’m royally pissed. The guy in the lounge did try to sort things out. The sleeper was bad ordered. The agent had just checked someone in for the sleeper with no downgrade notice. But. Then I was downgraded so he was confused.

He called someone and was told the yard in was told they were trying to fix the sleeper, then it was bad ordered.

As soon as I was told about this I looked at sleeper availability out of Albany. There were rooms available. I asked to be switched. When he looked the rooms were gone.

I went to get something to eat. The red cap told me I might be moved into a sleeper at Albany.

I just boarded. I over heard the coach attendant say that we would be moved to a sleeper at Albany.

amtrak is just a mess. There’s no roomette for me. They accommodated some in the sleeper but not me. If there is any management on here from Amtrak they need to understand that there Amtrak guest rewards is a joke. When things go wrong they do not reaccomodate by status. It’s done randomly as far as I know. There has never been clear explanations about how irrops are handled.

I’m furious because I saw this problem developing and alerted the agent in the Boston Lounge that I would like to be accommodated in one of those rooms. He got distracted helping someone else. And the rooms got blocked or sold. So if I am rude and impatient I’m a jerk. If I’m polite I get over looked. You can’t win.

I called the the select executive line in Albany and they did nothing but transferred me to the complaints line and that guy was just ridiculous and blamed the conductor for the decision making on the rooms.

I spoke to the assistant conductor and told him I would like to be considered for a sleeper if one opened up later. He’s new and just looked at me stupid. I asked him to contact the conductor that tell him and he would not do that.

They never added the sleeper in New York.

I discovered a night in coach wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I was able to plug into my CPAP. My car was pretty full but the crew avoided sitting some next to me which helped. With 2 seats to myself I was able to find a position for sleeping. I don’t have any aches anyplace either. I slept Long enough to miss Buffalo, Eerie, Cleveland and Sandususky.

I went back and had breakfast in the diner. The table cloths and silverware are an improvement. The crew cooked the breakfast sandwich perfectly. And gave me an extra container of fruit loops. So an okay experience.

We left south bend on time. We might arrive early into Chicago.

Back