TD/TS/Hurricane Francine and Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover

Conductor
Tropical Storm Francine Forms In The Gulf; Hurricane, Storm Surge Watches Issued

https://weather.com/storms/hurrican...storm-francine-louisiana-texas-gulf-hurricane

A hurricane has been issued from Cameron to Grand Isle, Louisiana. This watch is usually issued 48 hours ahead of when conditions deteriorate to make preparations dangerous.

A storm surge watch has also been issued from High Island, Texas, east of Galveston Bay, to the Mississippi-Alabama border, including Vermilion Bay, Lake Pontchartrain and Lake Maurepas. This means life-threatening storm surge is possible in these areas within 48 hours.

Rainfall totals from Francine could reach 4 to 8 inches, with local amounts to 12 inches, from the coast of far northeast Mexico to the far southern Texas coast and portions of southern Louisiana and southern Mississippi through Thursday morning.

I fear I already know the answer to this. How cautious is Amtrak about weather? I am in New Orleans, arrived on the CONO this afternoon. I am booked on the Sunset Limited, leaving at 9 am on Wednesday. The Sunset Limited is scheduled to arrive in Lake Charles, LA at 1:55 pm on Wednesday. It looks like Hurricane Francis may make landfall as a Category 2 not far from Lake Charles, maybe a little to the east at around 1 pm on Wednesday as well.

Amtrak is gong to cancel my train tomorrow, aren't they? What happens to passengers in this scenario? I have a bedroom I booked months ago. FWIW, I am on the trip of a lifetime. Capital Limited -> CONO -> Sunset Limited -> Coast Starlight -> Empire Builder. I left two days on NOLA, two in LA, and a week in Seattle/BC for fun and as buffers.

Last edited:
Fly to LA ? You might want to check the Amtrak web site for information about cancellations and delays. Of course they will not expect you to pay for the trip if it's cancelled but if you have bedrooms booked on the CS and EB you don't want to miss them and yet Amtrak might not be able to deliver you in time for your reservations.

Fly to LA ? You might want to check the Amtrak web site for information about cancellations and delays. Of course they will not expect you to pay for the trip if it's cancelled but if you have bedrooms booked on the CS and EB you don't want to miss them and yet Amtrak might not be able to deliver you in time for your reservations.
Yet another reason to break reservations up at overnight layovers. No domino effect in case one of legs goes sideways.

I fear I already know the answer to this. How cautious is Amtrak about weather? I am in New Orleans, arrived on the CONO this afternoon. I am booked on the Sunset Limited, leaving at 9 am on Wednesday. The Sunset Limited is scheduled to arrive in Lake Charles, LA at 1:55 pm on Wednesday. It looks like Hurricane Francis may make landfall as a Category 2 not far from Lake Charles, maybe a little to the east at around 1 pm on Wednesday as well.

Amtrak is gong to cancel my train tomorrow, aren't they? What happens to passengers in this scenario? I have a bedroom I booked months ago. FWIW, I am on the trip of a lifetime. Capital Limited -> CONO -> Sunset Limited -> Coast Starlight -> Empire Builder. I left two days on NOLA, two in LA, and a week in Seattle/BC for fun and as buffers.

I have been checking the Amtrak site but nothing posted as of yet. I figured I would have to fly to LA. I don't want to book a flight (that's not refundable) until I know for sure that my train is canceled. So it's a little tricky right now. I was hoping to hear about experiences with Amtrak in similar circumstances. I am curious what the weather threshold is for them? Wind speeds? What have they done in dangerous weather before? How far out are they likely to make the decision?

"As of 1:22 PM CT Service Adjustment: Due to impending Tropical Storm Francine Sunset Limited Train 2/422 which departed Los Angeles (LAX) on 9/8 will terminate at San Antonio (SAS) and cancel between San Antonio and New Orleans (NOL). Bus transportation will be provided. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience."

"As of 1:22 PM CT Service Adjustment: Due to impending Tropical Storm Francine Sunset Limited Train 2/422 which departed Los Angeles (LAX) on 9/8 will terminate at San Antonio (SAS) and cancel between San Antonio and New Orleans (NOL). Bus transportation will be provided. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience."
Now how many fools will go on toward NOL and intermediate stations into a Cat 1 or 2 hurricane??

Considering that is the train whose consist would return as your 1(11) and is terminating at San Antonio, there won't be a consist available at New Orleans for it to run.. While the weather means they likely would cancel anyway, it can't run because the equipment won't be there.

They might bus you as they are doing with 2. They'll refund you the portion of your fare that would apply to your sleeper accommodation between New Orleans and San Antonio if they do that. Otherwise it'll be cancelled with no alternative transportation and they'll refund your money. If you want to fly and skip the bus, in these situations Amtrak often allows you to cancel yourself with a full refund.

I have been checking the Amtrak site but nothing posted as of yet. I figured I would have to fly to LA. I don't want to book a flight (that's not refundable) until I know for sure that my train is canceled. So it's a little tricky right now. I was hoping to hear about experiences with Amtrak in similar circumstances. I am curious what the weather threshold is for them? Wind speeds? What have they done in dangerous weather before? How far out are they likely to make the decision?
In this case, most likely flood risk. Usually the initial cancellations aren't more than 24 hours out. Subsequent trains can also be cancelled, so they'll get notice more advance of their departure.

Last edited:
Do not know for sure but if Amtrak is going to leave the 3 train sets in NOL seems foolish. Yesterday's train 2, today's 59, & last night's 20 sets all have no scheduled trains outbound today. If the yard should flood that is next to the super dome there could be serious damage. Well just have to wait and see what happens but if those sets get damaged what then??

Al Roker was on TV this morning saying something about possible 10 foot storm surge when Francine hits. I see Amtrak has issued a service alert for today, Sept 11.

https://www.amtrak.com/alert.html

"September 11, 2024 6:00 AM
Modified Service Due to Winter Storms

For the safety of Amtrak customers and employees, due to forecasted weather, select trains will operate a modified schedule with no alternate transportation as follows:

Wednesday, September 11

Sunset Limited Service (operating between Chicago and New Orleans)
  • Train 1 is canceled between New Orleans and San Antonio.
City of New Orleans (operating between Chicago and New Orleans)

• Train 58 is canceled between New Orleans and Carbondale.
  • Train 59 is canceled between Carbondale and New Orleans.
Crescent Service (operating between New York and New Orleans)
  • Train 19 is canceled between Atlanta and New Orleans.
  • Train 20 is canceled between New Orleans and Atlanta.

Thursday, September 12

• Train 58 is canceled between New Orleans and Carbondale.
  • Train 59 is canceled between Carbondale and New Orleans.
Crescent Service (operating between New York and New Orleans)
  • Train 20 is canceled between New Orleans and Atlanta.
Friday, September 13
Select trains will operate a modified schedule with alternate transportation as follows:
  • Train 58 is canceled between New Orleans and Chicago.
Wednesday, September 11

Sunset Limited Service (operating between Chicago and New Orleans)
  • Train 2 is canceled between San Antonio and New Orleans.
Saturday, September 14

Sunset Limited Service (operating between New Orleans and Chicago)
  • Train 1 is canceled between New Orleans and San Antonio. "

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 1-800-USA-RAIL.

Do not know for sure but if Amtrak is going to leave the 3 train sets in NOL seems foolish. Yesterday's train 2, today's 59, & last night's 20 sets all have no scheduled trains outbound today. If the yard should flood that is next to the super dome there could be serious damage. Well just have to wait and see what happens but if those sets get damaged what then??
2 Terminated in SAS, so it's set is not in NOL.

Wouldn't such a flight be crossing the path of the hurricane and get cancelled too?
It depends. Quite often they find a diversion around the area with unacceptable turbulence. Usually it is affected airports that get avoided, but not flights that would normally fly across where a bid storm is. They take remarkably huge diversions to get around them.

Wouldn't such a flight be crossing the path of the hurricane and get cancelled too?
Planes can go around once airborne. The problem planes have is whether the airport can remain open.

Wonder why they list Sunset Limited as “operating between Chicago and New Orleans“?🤔

Must just be an error in the alert…
They did the same thing last time it was impacted.
Just goes to show just how much Amtrak HQ is aware of and cares about the National Network.

Every hurricane has different characteristics. This one does not seem to have any sub tropical jet stream affecting it. That jet can often limit the height of the hurricane. when that is the case modern passenger jets can often pass over the top oof a hurricane if not too loaded or make a step climb to top one. Had one great day where a cat 1 hurricane in north central Florida where all flights to MIA airports were able to top over it at FL 350 and above. Due to high upper level temperatures our true altitude was much higher than 35k feet.

Every hurricane has different characteristics. This one does not seem to have any sub tropical jet stream affecting it. That jet can often limit the height of the hurricane. when that is the case modern passenger jets can often pass over the top oof a hurricane if not too loaded or make a step climb to top one. Had one great day where a cat 1 hurricane in north central Florida where all flights to MIA airports were able to top over it at FL 350 and above. Due to high upper level temperatures our true altitude was much higher than 35k feet.
This one did have significant shear at higher altitudes which kept it from explosive strengthening. It never could get its act together and stack fully vertically, hence limited to barely Category 2. It's top kept getting blown off to the northeast.
Just goes to show just how much Amtrak HQ is aware of and cares about the National Network.
Strictly speaking that particular fault would have originated in CNOC (Consolidated National Operations Center) in Wilmington, who know very well which train goes where, but are at times quite careless with the provision of information to customers. Now it is indeed a corporate problem that the leadership of CNOC is not pulled up for such pointless little errors that are easy to fix..

Strictly speaking that particular fault would have originated in CNOC (Consolidated National Operations Center) in Wilmington, who know very well which train goes where, but are at times quite careless with the provision of information to customers. Now it is indeed a corporate problem that the leadership of CNOC is not pulled up for such pointless little errors that are easy to fix..
That carelessness can be interpreted as, well, not caring, which is the very definition of careless, as I said.

Back