Upgrading to bedroom while onboard?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago we took the Southwest Chief to New Mexico. We booked a sleeping room which was quite nice but very expensive as compared to a regular coach ticket. We heard later that many times it is possible to upgrade once on board at a very deep discount? I'm going to book a trip on the California Zepher soon. Just wondering if I might save some money by taking my chances and upgrading onboard?

Thanks for your replies.

A few years ago we took the Southwest Chief to New Mexico. We booked a sleeping room which was quite nice but very expensive as compared to a regular coach ticket. We heard later that many times it is possible to upgrade once on board at a very deep discount? I'm going to book a trip on the California Zepher soon. Just wondering if I might save some money by taking my chances and upgrading onboard?
Thanks for your replies.
Yes, it is possible IF there are roomettes/bedrooms available. You could also check amtrak.com a few days before your departure & may find a good deal then.

If you wait until boarding, you will want to speak to the Conductor upon boarding. Good luck!

If it's available, you can always (or at least should be able to if the Conductor wants to do the paperwork involved) upgrade onboard. (The only exception is on the Auto Train.) The upgrade cost is the difference between what you paid and the low bucket for that type - with a minimum increase (of IIRC $50).

If it's available, you can always (or at least should be able to if the Conductor wants to do the paperwork involved) upgrade onboard. (The only exception is on the Auto Train.) The upgrade cost is the difference between what you paid and the low bucket for that type - with a minimum increase (of IIRC $50).
So really, the only time this technique will result in a room at a significant savings is when you decide to take a short-notice trip and the sleeping accommodations are mostly sold, hence only the highest buckets are available. If you have the ability to plan sufficiently far in advance, you get the low bucket as a 'reward.' Waiting until you're on board runs the risk of a disappointment -- full train or only expensive full rooms available or worst, you get a cheap room but have to give it up halfway because someone is boarding mid-ride and has reserved that room. Come to think, in that latter case the conductor might refuse to let you have the room anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
So really, the only time this technique will result in a room at a significant savings is when you decide to take a short-notice trip and the sleeping accommodations are mostly sold, hence only the highest buckets are available. If you have the ability to plan sufficiently far in advance, you get the low bucket as a 'reward.' Waiting until you're on board runs the risk of a disappointment -- full train or only expensive full rooms available or worst, you get a cheap room but have to give it up halfway because someone is boarding mid-ride and has reserved that room. Come to think, in that latter case the conductor might refuse to let you have the room anyway.
Correct. If one books early enough that one can snag a low bucket room, then the price will be the same as if you had waited to do an onboard upgrade. Onboard upgrades are best for when the bucket has already been kicked up one or two buckets from the lowest point.

Back