Using discount codes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCL

Engineer
I remember asking if anyone thought it would be unethical to use a discount code for an event if I wasn't actually attending the event. It was for the Oakland A's 25% special at the Coliseum station. The dates available were extremely broad and not limited to game days (and where the Raiders and Cal football discounts are). The terms didn't state that attendance was required and I always used the exact station as required by the offer. However, I did find this for some sort of knitting expo:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?ff=No&c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237405732514&cid=1248543564577&WT.mc_t=Stitch&Ride_EXT&WT.mc_n=Stitch&RidePromoPage&WT.mc_r=365

• Exclusively available at Amtrak.com via the Capitol Corridor website.
  • Valid for 50% off the regular (full) adult rail fare.
  • Valid for sale September 16, 2013 through February 21, 2014.
  • Valid for travel February 19 - 24, 2014.
  • Valid for travel on the Capitol Corridor and associated Thruways; except not valid on the 7000 - 8999 Thruway series.
  • Valid for travel to Santa Clara, California (GAC) station stop only for attendees of the Stitches West Convention.
So I ask again, would it be unethical to use this to get to work? :eek:

It does clearly state "only for attendees of the Stitches West Convention".

Would it be the worst transgression in the world to do it? Certainly not.

Would I do it? Eh, maybe.

Book it and swing by the Stitches West Convention for a few minutes. That will soothe your guilt, and who knows... you might pick up a new hobby while you're there! Haha.

Book it and swing by the Stitches West Convention for a few minutes. That will soothe your guilt, and who knows... you might pick up a new hobby while you're there! Haha.
That's what I'd do... $10 is actually way cheap for convention attendance...

but as fairviewroad says, the discount had better be more than $10!

You could also intend to go to the convention and change your mind after arriving. ;)

The $10 only gets you into the "marketplace" but does not get you into any of the classes/workshops/etc. But it would probably fulfill

the ethical obligations of using the discount code. [in practical terms I'd guess there's no way that any conductor would bother checking

the code or verifying your planned attendance.]

A truly unethical person wouldn't think twice. The mere fact that you ask the question tells me that you already know the answer.

I did notice that the offer is for 6 days, but that the actual dates of the expo are only over 3 days.

In any case, for the weekend days, there's already a 50% off discount for any Capitol Corridor route. I'm using that plan just to go to SF with my kid this weekend. Two train segments - two bus segments, and I'm 400 points towards making Select. The really odd thing is that my fare is the same as my kid's, as there no additional child discount in this offer.

I'm even thinking of doing some sort of points run with the plan, but my wife would just yell at me for wasting time rather than spending time with the family. At least a trip to SF means I'm "bonding" with our child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back