Waiting on a Train - Book about Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

transit54

Conductor
It's pretty rare to find a book on passenger rail in the United States (the only other one I can think of is New Departures, which was mentioned a while back on here), so I was pretty excited when Waiting on a Train by James McCommons, came out. The author spent a year riding various Amtrak trains around the country, interviewing players in passenger rail and railroad policy and learning about Amtrak.

All in all, I thought it was an interesting book. I enjoyed it, though I didn't always agree with the author's opinions. He spent a good portion of the book drawing sharp lines between railfans and those who have a realistic view of passenger rail policy. I don't view the two categories as mutually exclusive. A lot of the material was stuff I already knew from experience or this forum, but there were also plenty of interesting information and perspectives from various people involved in railroading.

What really irritated me though is that McCommons discussed, in depth, every single state that funded Amtrak except for Vermont. In the entire 285 page book, he didn't mention Vermont or its two trains even once. Meanwhile, he rode every long distance train and at least one train in every state that funded Amtrak (except Michigan, though he mentioned them several times). I didn't expect him to take either the Ethan Allen or the Vermonter, but I felt pretty slighted that he didn't even mention that Vermont has or funds two Amtrak trains. My calculations indicate that Vermont actually funds Amtrak more than any other state on a per-capita basis.

All in all, I think its a worthwhile read, and especially those relatively new to train travel will learn quite a bit. McCommons comprehensively covers the issues that Amtrak is up against. Overall I'd recommend it, and besides, a solid book on Amtrak comes along only once in a blue moon.

Has anyone else read Waiting on a Train yet? I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts.

It's pretty rare to find a book on passenger rail in the United States (the only other one I can think of is New Departures, which was mentioned a while back on here), so I was pretty excited when Waiting on a Train by James McCommons, came out. The author spent a year riding various Amtrak trains around the country, interviewing players in passenger rail and railroad policy and learning about Amtrak.
All in all, I thought it was an interesting book. I enjoyed it, though I didn't always agree with the author's opinions. He spent a good portion of the book drawing sharp lines between railfans and those who have a realistic view of passenger rail policy. I don't view the two categories as mutually exclusive. A lot of the material was stuff I already knew from experience or this forum, but there were also plenty of interesting information and perspectives from various people involved in railroading.

What really irritated me though is that McCommons discussed, in depth, every single state that funded Amtrak except for Vermont. In the entire 285 page book, he didn't mention Vermont or its two trains even once. Meanwhile, he rode every long distance train and at least one train in every state that funded Amtrak (except Michigan, though he mentioned them several times). I didn't expect him to take either the Ethan Allen or the Vermonter, but I felt pretty slighted that he didn't even mention that Vermont has or funds two Amtrak trains. My calculations indicate that Vermont actually funds Amtrak more than any other state on a per-capita basis.

All in all, I think its a worthwhile read, and especially those relatively new to train travel will learn quite a bit. McCommons comprehensively covers the issues that Amtrak is up against. Overall I'd recommend it, and besides, a solid book on Amtrak comes along only once in a blue moon.

Has anyone else read Waiting on a Train yet? I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts.
Sounds like a good book in most respects.

But is there an email address or some way to contact the author about the Vermont ommissions? He might appreciate it, and might even publish a revise some day, if enough people catch the mistakes.

Thanks for the heads up. Just bought it on Amazon.

Yes, it's a good read, and the author's perspective on Texas railroading is spot on. Pay particular attention to what the UP (former MoPac) executive told Griff Hubbard in Longview--it will explain quite a bit about Union Pacific's outlook on the passenger train.

I've heard the story firsthand, and while the book omits the more colorful language, the quote is accurate.

But is there an email address or some way to contact the author about the Vermont ommissions? He might appreciate it, and might even publish a revise some day, if enough people catch the mistakes.
Yes, I managed to track one down today. I'll send him a friendly note with my thoughts when I get a chance...perhaps I'll write it on my ride on the Vermonter next Sunday...now that would be mildly ironic.

Yes, it's a good read, and the author's perspective on Texas railroading is spot on. Pay particular attention to what the UP (former MoPac) executive told Griff Hubbard in Longview--it will explain quite a bit about Union Pacific's outlook on the passenger train.
I've heard the story firsthand, and while the book omits the more colorful language, the quote is accurate.
Yes, those sort of anecdotes was really what made me enjoy the book. A lot of very Amtrak-specific stuff I knew, but the perspectives of others in the industry where pretty eye-opening sometimes. The UP quote was great, and the interview with BNSF was very good. I already had a very favorable view of BNSF, but it only solidified my opinions hearing them say what they did directly.

Sounds like a good read.

I wish I remember the title, but I used to have a book that was part rail journies on Amtrak and part what to do in the cities the trains stopped in. It was at least twenty years old and had some great pictures. I seem to remember the Desert Wind being one of the rides mentioned.

Yes, I managed to track one down today. I'll send him a friendly note with my thoughts when I get a chance...perhaps I'll write it on my ride on the Vermonter next Sunday...now that would be mildly ironic.
I imagine he also doesn't discuss the Virginia state-funded service, since it just started last month; after reading the book, I might try to engage him in a discussion of how he feels Virginia's new plans rate compared to the other states.

This sounds like an excellent book, one I'll acquire soon. Thanks for the recommendation and review! (I'm still making my way through New Departures -- I tend to read chapters on trains, and sometimes folks have asked "what are you reading?" and I get to tell them about it. Whoever recommended that months ago on this forum, thank you!)

I also recently acquired "When the Railroad Leaves Town", a two-volume set (east and west) which looks at communities where rail -- passenger and freight -- was once a major part of life (or even the core around which the community was created) and now is completely gone. How did each community handle this, what happened, and are they now trying to bring rail back (with any success)? It's different for every community, and some of their stories are quite interesting. It's not really passenger-rail-policy or advocacy in the way of "Waiting on a Train" or "New Departures", but it's a good study of related issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the review - I'll give it a looksee

Just placed a hold on it from my local library. They'll transport it from a faraway branch to my nearby one for 25 cents.

No points earned for me, but less $ spent.

Just placed a hold on it from my local library. They'll transport it from a faraway branch to my nearby one for 25 cents.
Your library charges you to obtain a book from another library and ship it to your local library? :huh: Mine does it for no charge! It may take a few days to get it to my local library so I can take it out, but there is never any charge! (They even do this without charge for libraries out of system - like from out of state libraries!)

I imagine he also doesn't discuss the Virginia state-funded service, since it just started last month; after reading the book, I might try to engage him in a discussion of how he feels Virginia's new plans rate compared to the other states.

This sounds like an excellent book, one I'll acquire soon. Thanks for the recommendation and review! (I'm still making my way through New Departures -- I tend to read chapters on trains, and sometimes folks have asked "what are you reading?" and I get to tell them about it. Whoever recommended that months ago on this forum, thank you!)

I also recently acquired "When the Railroad Leaves Town", a two-volume set (east and west) which looks at communities where rail -- passenger and freight -- was once a major part of life (or even the core around which the community was created) and now is completely gone. How did each community handle this, what happened, and are they now trying to bring rail back (with any success)? It's different for every community, and some of their stories are quite interesting. It's not really passenger-rail-policy or advocacy in the way of "Waiting on a Train" or "New Departures", but it's a good study of related issues.
Can you tell me if "When the Railroad Leaves Town" has any references to towns in Western Pa.? My Grandfather and Dad both worked for the PRR out there and I've been looking for books that covered that area. They both worked out of Youngwood and Pitcairn. Time period would have been from 1913 to 1956. Thanks!

That book that is about 20 years old is "Rail Ventures" which describes every Amtrak route in the country and describes all of the stops. It also tells you about the various cities the train stops in. They do include the defunct Desert Wind and Pioneer. The Pioneer is the only Long distance train I've never ridden.

Your library charges you to obtain a book from another library and ship it to your local library? :huh: Mine does it for no charge! It may take a few days to get it to my local library so I can take it out, but there is never any charge! (They even do this without charge for libraries out of system - like from out of state libraries!)
Yep. It's actually a charge to place a hold on a book. All done online from the convenience of my home late at night.

If I drove down to the local branch; I could request it for free and then go back when it came in.

I'd rather pay the quarter than $1.50 or so in gas and 45 minutes of my time during a workday x2 (but not Friday or the other once a month or so day that it is closed)

They do charge for interlibrary loan, $2 or $3 last time I did it about 10 years ago.

Our county declared bankruptcy some years back and we are still paying for it.

I just finished Waiting on a Train, which I received for Christmas 2009. I liked the book. I am not well-versed on the ins and outs of Amtrak, but I thought it had the right mixture of history, interviews with knowledgeable people (i.e., people from the various state Departments of Transportation, Amtrak, the freight railroads, and federal government railroad people), and trip reports.

As a college professor, I was amused that it seemed as if 80% of the people he wrote about in trip reports were academics of one type or another. I wondered if McCommons attracted academics or he just was more likely to write about them.

I did notice passages that could have done with better editing, but overall, a good book for somebody curious about Amtrak, its history, and what the future might hold.

I thank rnizlek for notifying us about it!

I too received this book for Christmas and I'm looking forward to reading it. Might hold off until my next Amtrak trip. Have a short run out to Johnstown, Pa. in February and LD runout to Tucson, Az. in March which is when I'll probably get to it. I wonder how many copies were ordered after the original post was made here.

I have ordered the book from my local public library. They do not have it yet, but will deliver it to me after they receive it - at no charge.

I received the book for Christmas, but haven't had time to read it. I also received THE AMERICAN PASSENGER TRAIN.

Can you give us a synopsis the UP guys comments?

Can you give us a synopsis the UP guys comments?
Here's the direct excerpt. Should give you a taste for the book, which I certainly recommend you go out and read.

From page 177-178:

And Hubbard had a telling anecdote about a UP executive who had started his career in MoPac, had been in Longview recently, and had stopped by the station to chew the fat. During the conversation, Hubbard said something about how the railroad and Amtrak might cooperate to improve the Eagle's on-time performance.
According to Hubbard, the executive snorted, "You know, Griff, you just don't get it. Amtrak doesn't get it. And maybe you guys will never get it, but we just don't care - that attitude is instilled in the people running this railroad. It will take a full generation to run it out, and it may just pass on to the next generation."

"You need to understand this...if you're right to the minute and an ass in every seat, we don't care. If you are nine hours late and nobody is on the train, we don't care. If you have an engine failure and are stuck, we don't care. If you bring a few million to the table in incentives, we don't care. We're a $3-billion company, it means nothing to us."

"So no matter what Amtrak does. No matter what you do, we don't care. WE DON'T CARE."

Hubbard leaned back in his chair, "After that, I think I got it. I also sensed he didn't think their attitude should change, no sir."

I saw this book on Amazon, but I didn't buy. I just assumed it was about a passenger who went around the US writing a story. Guess I'll have to get it now.

But I did order the book: "Opening Minds: Conservatives and Public Transportation." I haven't received it yet, but it's basically written by a conservative on why righty's should support transit. Although not Amtrak related, its probably a good read. If you're a liberal, it'll give some good arguments when speaking with conservative people on why transit is important.

But I did order the book: "Opening Minds: Conservatives and Public Transportation." I haven't received it yet, but it's basically written by a conservative on why righty's should support transit. Although not Amtrak related, its probably a good read. If you're a liberal, it'll give some good arguments when speaking with conservative people on why transit is important.
You know, I picked that up about three months ago and it's been sitting on my shelf since then. I do need to get into it. A little bit more of an academic read than Waiting on a Train, but something I definitely want to tackle.

I just finished my copy of Waiting on a Train last nite.

The butler did it.

Seriously though it's a good read, I think it presents the mindset of different freight RR's. Not all the freights have UP's sorry attitude and realize if they're going to get some help expanding/upgrading freight rail, they'd better start getting along with passenger rail. Good information on some state lines like Amtrak California, and a little about high speed rail in the future - but no pie in the sky. A realist attitude.

I was afraid that the book would take off on one extreme or another (too much foaming, or a quit-wasting-our-money attitude) but it's pretty level headed. Hard to argue with his point of view.

Recommended reading.

I saw this book on Amazon, but I didn't buy. I just assumed it was about a passenger who went around the US writing a story. Guess I'll have to get it now.

I have also been reading that book, "Moving Minds: Conservatives and Public Transportation," and it think it will be necessary to have some of the arguments and themes contained there when one argues for Amtrak, or passenger rail in general. As we have noted here, many "conservatives" are opposed to spending on public transportation in general, and passenger rail in particular. The book is geared so that those who are pro-rail can frame the debate and issues in terms that some right wing types are conversant. I'd recommend this book for the members here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back