wifi service on empire builder train? or Chicago union station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harrison

Is there wifi service aboard the empire builder? And is there any wifi at Chicago union station? If so, where at in union station and how to connect? I'm at union station now....And it's not easy to connect.

No wifi on the EB. The only wifi I have used in Chicago Union Station is in the Metropolitan Lounge.

Jim

As of last September there was no Wi-Fi in Chicago Union station for coach passengers. I was in couch and had read that Wi-Fi was available in the station and was surprised that I couldn't find any. Finally asked the AmTrak representative at the service desk and she said "Only for Lounge passengers". She didn't seem very pleased that I asked ;>)

Frankly, I think wi-fi in a place like Union station should be everywhere. It is provided in many other cities, and isn't very costly to provide these days. AmTrak is hurting their image (and business) by not providing it.

I also had no Wi-Fi in the Metropolitan Lounge last September. That may have been one-of, however.

On the EB itself, fuggedaboudit. The only connectivity I was able to get was using my cellphone as a hotspot. There was LTE available on some of the route, 4G in a good portion. However, in Montana, any kind of connectivity was spotty and unreliable.

As of last September there was no Wi-Fi in Chicago Union station for coach passengers. I was in couch and had read that Wi-Fi was available in the station and was surprised that I couldn't find any. Finally asked the AmTrak representative at the service desk and she said "Only for Lounge passengers". She didn't seem very pleased that I asked ;>)

Frankly, I think wi-fi in a place like Union station should be everywhere. It is provided in many other cities, and isn't very costly to provide these days. AmTrak is hurting their image (and business) by not providing it.
It's not Amtrak's responsibility to provide wifi everywhere in Union Station; yes in the Metropolitan Lounge and yes in the public waiting area where you board the trains. But certainly not all of union station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicago Union Station Metropolitan Lounge has always had wireless Internet. As stated above it can be accessed in most parts of general boarding. You would need to know password for network = which is not hard to figure out. Or if you have ever had lounge access in past - saved password you would be good to go. Amtrak does not practice good wireless Internet security - in years I've used lounge - password has never changed.

All passenger areas should provide wireless. Especially in such a large station. Many smaller stations offer wireless or there is city provided service that can be accessed.

It will most likely be years - if ever - that long distance routes get wireless access. This of course is one of the top request of passengers.

It's not Amtrak's responsibility to provide wifi everywhere in Union Station; yes in the Metropolitan Lounge and yes in the public waiting area where you board the trains. But certainly not all of union station.
I'm not completely sure what you mean by "responsibility" in this context since no business has to provide wi-fi but you do know that Amtrak owns Chicago Union Station, right? So Amtrak certainly could provide wi-fi throughout the building just as the building owner where I work has provided wi-fi throughout the public spaces of that building.

Last summer on the EB I had constant Verizon service as far as Williston,,

then not so good

We only went as far as GPK so I cannot speak for the other side of the hill

The McDonald's up in the food court has free wi-fi. It can be picked up in part of the east end of the "main" food court area as well.

I know for sure that there is no public wi-fi within the train offered by Amtrak. Union Depot in St. Paul does have free wi-fi inside, but the layover may not be enough to actually use it. I can't recall if the signal reaches to trainside. (The same is true with Staples, but since it's a quick stop with no opportunity to get off and it's in the middle of the night, I'm guessing it'll be of no utility. For the record, Detroit Lakes also has a coffee shop within the station, but not open during station hours, that offers free wi-fi that could be used, but that's also a quick stop in the middle of the night.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back