Ground Transport in the Pacific Northwest

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn’t it be nice if some enterprise published a national or international transportation guide that showed all ground transportation options between cities?
Could be print or online, with periodic updates.
Could be supported by subscription or ads or both.
I would subscribe…

Wouldn’t it be nice if some enterprise published a national or international transportation guide that showed all ground transportation options between cities?
I would subscribe…
Ideally this is what GTFSs (why you can get Transit directions and times on Google for example,is for) Feeds are for. It's actually a requirement for all transit agencies running fixed route transit to report their GTFS feeds to the Federal Government (through the National Transit Database) strating this year, leading to a lot more transit agencies realizing they need to create feeds.

Ideally this is what GTFSs (why you can get Transit directions and times on Google for example,is for) Feeds are for. It's actually a requirement for all transit agencies running fixed route transit to report their GTFS feeds to the Federal Government (through the National Transit Database) strating this year, leading to a lot more transit agencies realizing they need to create feeds.
These are private bus companies, not transit agencies.

Seattle to Spokane is run by Flixbus and Northwestern Stages. Flix feeds their info to Google, but the only Northwestern info comes via Amtrak Thruway. So, the night Seattle <> Spokane bus does not show in Google.

I would subscribe…
Wanderu is pretty good. For Seattle - Spokane it shows Flix, Northwestern and Amtrak. It overstates frequency the way it does multiple stops within a city though.

I checked and Wanderu is not showing the night bus run by Northwestern, only the daylight trip which is listed as Amtrak Thruway service. The night bus does show in the Flix/Greyhound reservation system.

In the process of checking this, I discovered that Amtrak was showing the daylight bus for tomorrow morning, May 14 as $97, while the Flix site shows the same trip between the same stations as $47. $97 is the fare between Seattle and Spokane Airport.

My conclusion is that Wanderu is getting its Northwestern Stages info from Amtrak. When I started poking around, I also found other things that would seem weird to a customer, mainly info or lack of it on small operations.

Actually I was wondering. Is there a way to get all the westbound and southbound bus schedules between Seattle and Portland and also the westbound ones between Portland and Spokane? Washington state, of course, has a law that allows subsidies for intercity bus services. At least it did as of the last time I checked. Vancouver, BC to Portland seems pretty much OK for bus service, but the east-west side in Washington and Oregon strikes me as very short of service. I'm trying to make sense of what's already there and what could be subsidized to, say, bring Seattle-Pasco up to at least two round trips-a-day from just one, and possible add Seattle-Ellensburg-Spokane service with transfers in Ellensburg from the Seattle-Pasco route.

Actually I was wondering. Is there a way to get all the westbound and southbound bus schedules between Seattle and Portland and also the westbound ones between Portland and Spokane? Washington state, of course, has a law that allows subsidies for intercity bus services. At least it did as of the last time I checked. Vancouver, BC to Portland seems pretty much OK for bus service, but the east-west side in Washington and Oregon strikes me as very short of service. I'm trying to make sense of what's already there and what could be subsidized to, say, bring Seattle-Pasco up to at least two round trips-a-day from just one, and possible add Seattle-Ellensburg-Spokane service with transfers in Ellensburg from the Seattle-Pasco route.
If it's just for a study, it can be done by plowing through the internet with dummy itinerary searches. It's slow, because some trips are less than daily. For the reports here, I just show PDX<>SPK as a sample of what is going on east-west.

You're right about east-west service being skimpy. It was affected by discount air fares that killed most trans-continental bus travel (yes, GL used to schedule three buses a day from Chicago to Seattle via US10, plus a fourth express trip in the summer, competing against two daily NP trains).

Recently, Flix added a SEA<>SPK trip with intermediate stops in Moses Lake and Ellensburg. They had one trip doing that to start with, inherited from the last Greyhound. Oh, and Northwestern serves Moses Lake, too, but Flix is at a different gas station.

I don't know the person at WSDOT who handles intercity bus subsidies, but I suspect that Northwestern might be receiving aid for their daylight SEA<>SPK trip, which makes nine intermediate stops and runs via Stevens Pass and is in the Thruway system. And I'm sure that Greyhound is receiving aid for their twice daily runs between Port Angeles and Sea-Tac via King Street Station and the major Seattle hospitals. That one is in the Amtrak Thruway system.

Having followed this through the years, I've come to the conclusion that the best way to get improved intercity bus service is to run good train service. Then someone will try to take business away from it.

BTW, does anyone reading this know of a Flix-branded service that is in the Amtrak Thruway system?

Here's the PDX to SEA line-up for Sunday, May 19th as of Wednesday night.

0645 AT $37/$87
0700 FB $30
0820 AT $42/$87
0830 FB $31
1040 FB $32
1040 AT $66/SO
1200 FB $32
1410 AT $66/SO
1500 FB $33
1556 AT $50/--/$272
1755 AT $47/$72
1910 FB $33
1925 AT $37/$87
2115 FB $33

And here's PDX to SPK:

0645 AT $100/$150/$310 chng at Seattle
0700 FB $64 via Seattle
0950 FB $45 chng at Pasco
1200 FB $64 via Seattle
1645 AT $62/--/$559
1755 AT/NW $94/$119 chng at Seattle (not a Thruway service)

AT = Amtrak Coach/Business/Sleeper,
FB = Flixbus includes $3.99 service charge rounded,
NW = Northwestern Stages,
SO = Sold Out!

Back