PANYNJ swapping Brooklyn port for Staten Island land controlled by NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesWhitcombRiley

Lead Service Attendant
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/14/nyregion/red-hook-redevelopment-shipping.html The mayor, the governor and the NYC Economic Development Corporation are praising the plan as a step forward for the moribund Red Hook port in Brooklyn. NYCEDC will take it over. What, nobody likes the job the PA has been doing? Two of the piers are somewhat usable.

I don't know what the governor has to do with it, since the entire board is appointed by city pols, but NY is complicated. Maybe there is enabling legislation in Albany at play, at the least. The benefits include getting delivery trucks off the road. That's assuming NYCEDC is really rebuilding a port. Veteran Congress member Jerry Nadler thinks it's a crooked deal to build condos etc. Red Hook is one of the last outposts of gentrification, perhaps the only on on the water.

The governor appoints half the PA board, by contrast to the NYCEDC. The PA is self-supporting in operations (right?), but this deal is supposed to help along building a new (hopefully less famous) Port Authority Bus Terminal on the west side of Manhattan. The NYCEDC gets city funds for operations, and works with with "capital," I guess real estate the city gives it to manage. Both get some federal grants. Neither governor seems to want to claim responsibility for managing the PA. In the 1990s it was in a crisis and that's when it developed many of the plans people don't like now, as they come to fruition (airport rail, specifically). I know very little, so I'm, just throwing this stuff out there hoping somebody does know. I do like that fleet of about 400 identical PATH train cars, as seen from the NEC midday, and the fare is slightly below the NYC Subway fare. To go further into fandom, it's rare to see Youtubes of riding the PATH, since photography is prohibited in the system.

Meanwhile Staten Island gets the port jobs and business, under the PA, at least by Nadler's reckoning.

Last edited:
Back