Seattle area to Vancouver, BC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Airn Etherton

Coming to Seattle end of May and traveling to Vancouver for a cruise. We are staying by the airport in Seattle and visiting friends in the Tacoma area. Can we board the AMtrak at Tukwila? Or do we need to board the train at the Seattle, King street station? I'm reading that the Tukwila station is small, no agent. We will have some luggage with us considering we are traveling for about 12 days.

Looks like Tukwila station would be closer to our hotel area. I am also reading its best to set on the left side of the Amtrak for the scenic view. If we get on at Tukwila and pick a seat, will they move us once we get to Seattle? Family of 5, kids ages 7-12

Whether or not you can board in Tukwila depends on which train you are taking. If you are on the morning train, it originates in Seattle so there is no Tukwila stop. The evening train originates in Portland, with a stop at Tukwila. Seats are not assigned, and many passengers will alight at Seattle, giving you the opportunity to move to coast-side seats before other passengers board--just be sure to take your seat checks.

I am looking to do this same trip in reverse (at the end of a cruise). However, it appears that checking baggage is not an option, since there is no baggage service at the Tukwila station. The website says there is baggage service if we travel from Vancouver BC to the King Street station in Seattle, but the Amtrak rep I just talked to said there isn't. So now I don't know if Amtrak is a viable option at all.

Back